Piste map commentary - especially Val Thorens/Les menuires

Old March 2nd 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
mikecro

Default Piste map commentary - especially Val Thorens/Les menuires

I am taking my family to les menuires soon. Would be handy to have a guide
to the pistes beyond the standard map.
is there anything like this on the web?

Just something which said "yes, these are reds but they ski like blacks" or
"tricky for boarders" would be handy

eg I can volunteer Clair Blanc as a difficult red in Les Arcs

Mike

Old March 2nd 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 2 Mar, 22:07, "mikecro" wrote:
I am taking my family to les menuires soon. Would be handy to have a guide
to the pistes beyond the standard map.
is there anything like this on the web?

Just something which said "yes, these are reds but they ski like blacks" or
"tricky for boarders" would be handy

eg I can volunteer Clair Blanc as a difficult red in Les Arcs

Mike

Hi Mike,

This year's Mad Dog Ski Guide (at least for Tignes) has a commentary
on what the pistes do. It's pretty tricky to give hard and fast rules
though because pistes have to be rated taking into consideration what
the snow might do throughout the season. What might be considered a
fairly easy blue in December can show it's true colours as an icy red
mogul field come the end of Jan.

Cheers,

Matt
Old March 4th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Matt T wrote:
On 2 Mar, 22:07, "mikecro" wrote:

I am taking my family to les menuires soon. Would be handy to have a guide
to the pistes beyond the standard map.
is there anything like this on the web?

Just something which said "yes, these are reds but they ski like blacks" or
"tricky for boarders" would be handy

eg I can volunteer Clair Blanc as a difficult red in Les Arcs

Mike

Hi Mike,

This year's Mad Dog Ski Guide (at least for Tignes) has a commentary
on what the pistes do. It's pretty tricky to give hard and fast rules
though because pistes have to be rated taking into consideration what
the snow might do throughout the season. What might be considered a
fairly easy blue in December can show it's true colours as an icy red
mogul field come the end of Jan.

Cheers,

Matt

UM! The Mad Dog Guide for Les Arcs slates Malgovert, which is a
delightful run. IMHO it is not a very reliable guide.

I must admit I do not see why Clair Blanc is a red and not a very easy
black when it neighbour, fond blanc, is a black

IIRC almost everything in the Trois Vallee is accurately graded. I
cannot think of any thing that might catch you out apart from the ours
and truite in Meribel which are vertually flat. Even skiers have been
seen walking.

John
Old March 6th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MadCow

In message , john elgy
writes
Matt T wrote:
On 2 Mar, 22:07, "mikecro" wrote:

I am taking my family to les menuires soon. Would be handy to have a
guide
to the pistes beyond the standard map.

IIRC almost everything in the Trois Vallee is accurately graded. I
cannot think of any thing that might catch you out apart from the ours
and truite in Meribel which are vertually flat. Even skiers have been
seen walking.

Depending how bombproof your family are, the entry to Val Thorens from
the Meribel side has its detractors. It warms up and gets gooey, choppy
and crowded.
A fellow traveller skied head-on into a French woman (they were both
moving across the slope) and they stood there hanging onto each other
and shouting in their respective languages until someone else ran into
them and they all fell over - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

--
Sue ];(