Skid, slip, and carved turn

Old February 18th 05, 03:52 PM
yunlong

VtSkier wrote:
I said:
If you would reread what I wrote, I am only taking you to
task for your use of vocabulary. I can live with the
syntax and grammar being less than perfect.

Yunlong said:
"Professor C. C. Fries, one of our leading 'liberal'
English teachers, once told his students that there was
no such rule as 'Never use a preposition at the end of
a sentence.' (Actually, it is an superstition based on
the Latin derivation of the word preposition.) 'Do you
mean to say that the rule has been changed?' a student
spoke up.

'Changed? 'No,' Professor Fries answered. 'Who would
have the authority to make or change such a rule?'
'Why,' the student stammered, "whoever deals with these
things...the authorities...the experts...the English
Teachers Association...' 'That would be the National
Council of Teachers of English,' said Professor Fries.
'Well, if they issued any rules lately, I ought to know
about it.I am president.'"

"It is well to remember that grammar is common speech
formulated. Usage is the only test. I would prefer a
phrase that was easy and unaffected to a phrase that
was grammatical."--W. Somerset Maugham--

I replied:
Yes, and I also know that when speaking about ending a
sentence with a preposition, Winston Churchill said,
"This is the kind of language up with which I shall not
put." (he was intending for the irony meter to peg itself)

Yunlong came back with:
That is to say there's more than one way to use English,
who is going to determine which is right?

To which I might add:
Actually I, and Winston, agree with you. What Professor
Fries, W. Somerset Maugham and Winston Churchill were all
saying was that usage determines correctness. But you must
be aware that usage is what the vast majority of speakers
of a language agree to be usage.

That may be conventional way to use a language, however, not in
technical discussion.

You simply can't make it up as you go along.

In scientific technical discussion, define your terms, so there would
be no any ambiguity.

You simply were not adhering to the
agreed upon usage for syntax, grammar and vocabulary.

Or you don't/cannot see/understand the flexibility of a language.

The first two I cut you slack on because I could make out the
meaning, but vocabulary I didn't because it's the core
of meaning.

You may ask for clarification, but you don't, you just assume what you
know is right and bash away, but never figure out why you assumption
doesn't work.

IS

VtSkier

Old February 18th 05, 06:04 PM
VtSkier

yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

(snip)

This time, I would like you read the whole post
without making comments and then go back and re-read
and make your comments. My thought process is following
a lead which you might agree with. (see I can end a
sentence with a preposition) Though I'm not insisting
that you agree with it, it might be what you are saying.

What you describe requires me to put pressure on the inside
edges of the turn. You said so without saying so, because
what you describe can ONLY put pressure on the edges and the
most pressure on the tip edges.

No, most pressure is on the "shovels" with an emphasis on
the inside edges.

Toe steering.

If the "shovel" is pressured and the ski is edged, it
won't slip/skid.

(snip again)

Bending my knees (and ankles forward) will
put pressure onto my skis, more particularly the fronts
of my skis.

That is done when you push the boots with the shins; without it,
bending the knees would take some pressure off the skis.

If I bend my knees without bending my ankles forward
I will go into the back seat.

I will immediately get my weight forward to
regain a feeling of control

I would "hang ten" at that moment;

Walk forward to the tips of your skis and let you
toes hang over?

I ski with my feet together.

Me too, extremely close together, by today's standards
since my formative and learning years were spent trying
to emulate Stein.

Forgot to mention at that moment (when the skis get flat) I'd hold down
the tips with my balls of foot and ten toes, "hang ten."

"Hang ten" then, is pressuring the ski with the whole foot
(of each foot) so that you are not pressuring just the
inside/uphill edges of the skis?

It seems to me that to do this with the ski flat or to
make the ski flat on anything other than a VERY gentle
slope, I would need to press my knees downhill. Is so?

With all of this, I'm still wondering about the the need
or the effectiveness of doing what you describe.

You've almost come to the part where, in a carved turn,
to carve in the opposite direction you "cross under" your
quiet upper body, and get up on the opposite edges to go
in the direction opposite the direction you were initially
going.

I've watched beginning snowboarders. A common mistake they
all make in the beginning, is to always be on the uphill
edge if traversing or scraping which is the inside edge
of a turn. If they let the board go completely flat, they
will usually "catch an edge" and go on their butts or
faces. After about 3 days of lessons/practice, this
tendency to allow the board to be completely flat on the
snow when moving pretty much goes away and the neophyte
can get down the hill without falling much.

This complete flatness of the SKIS seems to me to be what
you are promoting. It is something that has been ingrained
in me for many years the is not something I want to do as
it usually promotes some feeling of lack of control. About
the only time I try for a completely flat ski is when I
am about to or am already to get on a flat runout that I need
to take as fast as I can to be able to reach the bottom
without pushing, or simply to limit the boredom of a flat
runout.

(snip)
"Flowery language is not trustworthy, and trustworthy
language is not flowery."--Tao Te Ching 81--

Not looking for flowery, just clear.

To make it clearly, follow through the "definitions."

I am trying to, but every definition seems to be of
something that I can do if I want to or something I
do on a regular basis, like toe steering.

The only thing so far that I've found that is new
is that you want me to roll my knees downhill (to
flatten my skis) while keeping a curved path up hill
or a straight traverse. Is this really so?

(snip)

You were talking about a turn, and I was talking about straightening
it, nevertheless, slipping turn remains a turn.

You were talking about a turn called a "slipped turn". At
first and continuing, I objected to calling what you described
as a turn.

Nothing you can say will make me believe otherwise because
this is simply the way the mechanics of skiing work in this
instance.

What were you arguing about?

If indeed you were trying to say what I just described,
you didn't until just now.

Or just now you get some drifts on what I'm talking about?

What you described is just one type of turning; in your partitioned
thinking, or in your limited experience, you think that skiing is just
about one turn?

Excuse me! I'm one of the guys who says to others
writing in extolling carved turns, or wanting information
so that they can make only carved turns, or who speak as
if the only "true" turns are carved, that any and all
different kinds of turns have their place and a purpose
in skiing and that concentrating on one turn is limiting
and will keep the other person from fullest enjoyment of
skiing and prevent having the ability to ski anything
that is slippery.

(snip)

However, since what you
describe and show us in videos is NOT new as demonstrated
by ballet skiers of the 70's and 80's and since

You were wrong in reading the video clips, admitted it and move on.
Denial only makes you look worse.

In your way to bash me, as for you inability to give a meaningful
rebuttal, you had to link me with those ballet skiers and claimed that
because ballet skiing is no good (a very egoistic statement, do you
think that only your way of skiing is good skiing?), so is mine. For
you lacked of integrity, not that you didn't disprove my way of skiing,
but you have insulted other innocence group (ballet skiing community),
maybe Suzi Chapstick, and eventually, bounce back to yourself, as it
shows your conceited personality.

One more EXCUSE ME! I never said that ballet skiing was
"no good". I did say that it was limiting, or of limited use.
It is very beautiful to watch. What I did say, and others
have echoed me, is that you skiing, as shown to us in
video clips and pictures resembles ballet skiing. By
inference, we suggested that your skiing was limiting
and/or of limited use. I think that you have convinced me
(at least) that you use other turns than your flatboarding.

I'm still interested in that as I think I'm getting close
to understanding what you are describing.

(snip)

Flatboarding is an advanced technique even to "advanced
skiers," try a skiers X trail sometime.

If you are talking about a skier-cross trail, I have
done that, it's a hoot.

What does it mean?

Bags of fun.

What are the skills involved?

Most of the skier cross trails that I have
skied at Killington resemble non-continuous
pipes, or a course/trail with strongly banked turns.

Skills similar to skiing a pipe or an old-school
trail with high banked sides. The ability to
let the trail/pipe make your turns for you
under your control. Use the banks.

(snip)

And if you are not careful, you'll be "one with a tree."

An unified/harmonized mind and body doesn't run into a tree.

By not looking where you are going, even if you have
a unified/harmonized mind and body, you may still run
into that tree.

A unified/harmonized mind and body know how to "sense" the surrounding
[without seeing it].

There are lots of cues in our environment that are not visual.
Most of us have not learned to recognize these or to trust
them unless we are blind. Those who can, and are not blind,
are truly blessed. I am not one of these, though I don't need
to see what's under my feet when I'm skiing, I do need to see
(or not see if they are not there) barriers to my moving forward.

(snip)

Calling it by a new new name instead of just "skidding
your tips downhill" is adding something that learners
will be unfamiliar with and therefore be confused.

You cannot "skidding your tips downhill" by my "definition"
of "skid. "That is, you are not talking about the same thing as I.

True, by your definition. I can certainly skid my tips
down the hill, which you can certainly call "slipping"
if you want to. What is at issue is when and where I
might WANT to skid my tips down hill. We have certainly
established that in certain instances it is useful to
do so. Half of a falling leaf maneuver for instance, or
skidding your tips in a standing position across the hill
to pointing down the hill are two common and proper uses
for the maneuver. I see little else of value for it.

The issue here is if you are going to insist on using your "skid" to
imitate my "slip," you are not going to see much beyond what you said.
Yup, it has little value use for you. Or just your denial continues.

My insistence on using "skid" is that so far, or maybe you
have later on in this post, convinced me that "slip" is
something new and/or different from what I already do
OR
is something truly new that I might need to do from time to
time.

I'm chewing on this.

You asked us to accept a new term for a common occurrence
in skiing (whether it's terribly valuable or not is
still being debated) and to elevate it to the status of
a turn seems to me to be incorrect.

What do you mean by "turn" again?

a change from straight running to a curved path -OR-
a change from a curved path in one direction to a
curved path going in the opposite direction. Does this
work for you?

Then my "slipping turn" is a turn.

If your "slipping turn" isn't toe steering, or
something else already accounted for, then it
probably is a turn which can be talked about as
being separate from others.

What you describe, if it works, and I'm not going
to try it out this weekend because it'll be too
crowded, will be a turn from a traverse toward
downhill (as opposed to the usual uphill) by
flattening my skis, with weight forward.

-------new thought on the same subject--------

Hmmm, I beginning to see something here that I
often do. It's so subtle that I never thought of
it as a turn:

During the execution of any kind of a turn. Usually
on ungroomed or a skied out piste, but it will work
anywhere and works fine on big wide carved turns.

The turn is really being cranked and speed is
relatively high. It can be carved or skidded or
a combination of both.

To slightly and momentarily increase the radius of
the turn I will *straighten* my legs. This has the
effect of reducing the amount my knees are pushed
into the hill and flattens the skis relative to the
slope. The amount of straightening is not enough
to cause unweighting and the speed (bounce) at which
I straighten does not cause unweighting. It is also
not enough to completely flatten the skis relative
to the slope.

A note here about what is weighted. The fronts of the
skis clearly and always have my weight biased
toward them. Straightening my legs to get the effect
does not put me in the back seat as *bending* my
legs/knees would. In various kinds of turns in various
conditions, one ski may have more weight on it
than the other. This will not change for the
*straightening* maneuver. If I'm carving a large
arc with weight more or less equal on both skis and my
feet slightly apart, this is the way I will do
the "straightening". If my feet are close together,
going down a steep with a hardpack surface and
most weight on the outside ski, this is the way
I will do the maneuver.

I might hold this for a while, I might crank my
knees back down to engage the edges again, I might
initiate a turn in the opposite direction. Because
the position is stable and relatively neutral,
anything is possible.

In this straightening maneuver, there is clearly
a change of direction, or more precisely a change
in the vector.

Is this (if I explained it well enough) what you are
calling a "slipped turn"?

(and snip the rest)

A word on word meanings. "Bend" means to go from
a straight to a not-straight condition. If you are
speaking about something that is not straight and
I'm going to "bend" it, I am going to make it *more
not straight*. Have you been telling me to bend
my knees when in fact you wanted me to "unbend"
my knees to do the "slip" maneuver?

If so, it's actually beginning to make sense.

VtSkier
Old February 19th 05, 01:45 AM
yunlong

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:

(snip)

This time, I would like you read the whole post
without making comments and then go back and re-read
and make your comments. My thought process is following
a lead which you might agree with. (see I can end a
sentence with a preposition) Though I'm not insisting
that you agree with it, it might be what you are saying.

Ok, we'll see.

What you describe requires me to put pressure on the inside
edges of the turn. You said so without saying so, because
what you describe can ONLY put pressure on the edges and the
most pressure on the tip edges.

No, most pressure is on the "shovels" with an emphasis on
the inside edges.

Toe steering.

No steering involved; i.e. your term is confusing.

If the "shovel" is pressured and the ski is edged, it
won't slip/skid.

Maybe, maybe not, it depends where you balance/weight is, see what
happens if you shift your weight to the "outside" of the turn; and no,
"with an emphasis on the inside edges" is different from "edged." You
are either misread, or misinterpreted.

(snip again)

Bending my knees (and ankles forward) will
put pressure onto my skis, more particularly the fronts
of my skis.

That is done when you push the boots with the shins; without
it, bending the knees would take some pressure off the skis.

If I bend my knees without bending my ankles forward
I will go into the back seat.

No, you cannot "push the boots with the shins" without bending your
ankles forward; with shins push the tongue of the boot and balls of
foot hold down the skis, you can bend your knees without get into the
back seat.

I will immediately get my weight forward to
regain a feeling of control

I would "hang ten" at that moment;

Walk forward to the tips of your skis and let you
toes hang over?

I ski with my feet together.

Me too, extremely close together, by today's standards
since my formative and learning years were spent trying
to emulate Stein.

Forgot to mention at that moment (when the skis get flat) I'd hold

down
the tips with my balls of foot and ten toes, "hang ten."

"Hang ten" then, is pressuring the ski with the whole foot
(of each foot) so that you are not pressuring just the
inside/uphill edges of the skis?

Yup, however, not the whole foot, the forward pressure is held by shin
pressure and balanced on the balls of foot.

It seems to me that to do this with the ski flat or to
make the ski flat on anything other than a VERY gentle
slope, I would need to press my knees downhill. Is so?

Knees are generally pointed to where the tips point.

With all of this, I'm still wondering about the the need
or the effectiveness of doing what you describe.

It is fluid, elegant, and fast.

You've almost come to the part where, in a carved turn,
to carve in the opposite direction you "cross under" your
quiet upper body, and get up on the opposite edges to go
in the direction opposite the direction you were initially
going.

With flatboard, the cross-over is done by shifting both skis to the
opposite side of the turn and weigh on the inside ski.

I've watched beginning snowboarders. A common mistake they
all make in the beginning, is to always be on the uphill
edge if traversing or scraping which is the inside edge
of a turn.

You can only slip the uphill edge, be that a ski or a snowboard.

If they let the board go completely flat, they
will usually "catch an edge" and go on their butts or
faces.

and catch an edge on downhill edge, be that a ski or a snowboard.

After about 3 days of lessons/practice, this
tendency to allow the board to be completely flat on the
snow when moving pretty much goes away and the neophyte
can get down the hill without falling much.

This complete flatness of the SKIS seems to me to be what
you are promoting. It is something that has been ingrained
in me for many years the is not something I want to do as
it usually promotes some feeling of lack of control. About
the only time I try for a completely flat ski is when I
am about to or am already to get on a flat runout that I need
to take as fast as I can to be able to reach the bottom
without pushing, or simply to limit the boredom of a flat
runout.

I enjoy that silky smooth feeling of the flatboard.

(snip)
"Flowery language is not trustworthy, and trustworthy
language is not flowery."--Tao Te Ching 81--

Not looking for flowery, just clear.

To make it clearly, follow through the "definitions."

I am trying to, but every definition seems to be of
something that I can do if I want to or something I
do on a regular basis, like toe steering.

Never did say you cannot do, did I? "Definition" is only to
define/describe the subject to give a certain characteristics, and upon
which it specifies the scope of the subject. Whether you can do or not
is irrelevant.

The only thing so far that I've found that is new
is that you want me to roll my knees downhill (to
flatten my skis) while keeping a curved path up hill
or a straight traverse. Is this really so?

And your scope on the subject was really narrow.

(snip)

You were talking about a turn, and I was talking about
straightening it, nevertheless, slipping turn remains a turn.

You were talking about a turn called a "slipped turn". At
first and continuing, I objected to calling what you described
as a turn.

You can either prove or disprove a validity of a definition, your
objection has no weight in this matter, it'd only reflect your small
mindness.

[...]

Then why are you keep arguing me with one type of turn, as though
that's the only turn I do?

[...]

"Limited use"? You mean that Suzi Chapstick can only do ballet skiing,
(as the same implication you put on me) cannot do moguls?

It is very beautiful to watch. What I did say, and others
have echoed me, is that you skiing, as shown to us in
video clips and pictures resembles ballet skiing.

By inference, we suggested that your skiing was limiting
and/or of limited use.

I think you overlooked the techniques and the disciplines to produce a
performance such as ballet skiing. Any hint that suggests the ballet
skiing is inferior than your conventional skiing only reflects a
conceited egotism. I'm pretty sure if they (the ballet skiers) want to
do moguls, they can do it.

I think that you have convinced me
(at least) that you use other turns than your flatboarding.

Actually, flatboarding rides the skis, it is formless, and turns on
demand.

I'm still interested in that as I think I'm getting close
to understanding what you are describing.

Maybe, nevertheless, "actual" experience is still needed.

(snip)

Flatboarding is an advanced technique even to "advanced
skiers," try a skiers X trail sometime.

If you are talking about a skier-cross trail, I have
done that, it's a hoot.

What does it mean?

Bags of fun.

What are the skills involved?

Most of the skier cross trails that I have
skied at Killington resemble non-continuous
pipes, or a course/trail with strongly banked turns.

Skills similar to skiing a pipe or an old-school
trail with high banked sides. The ability to
let the trail/pipe make your turns for you
under your control. Use the banks.

Yup, that's "following the trail," a flatboarding technique.

(snip)

And if you are not careful, you'll be "one with a tree."

An unified/harmonized mind and body doesn't run into a tree.

By not looking where you are going, even if you have
a unified/harmonized mind and body, you may still run
into that tree.

A unified/harmonized mind and body know how to "sense" the

surrounding
[without seeing it].

There are lots of cues in our environment that are not visual.
Most of us have not learned to recognize these or to trust
them unless we are blind. Those who can, and are not blind,
are truly blessed. I am not one of these, though I don't need
to see what's under my feet when I'm skiing, I do need to see
(or not see if they are not there) barriers to my moving forward.

Don't you "trust" your feet, a feeling you can always have?

[...]

Ok,

[...]

It appears that you may get the drift this time, though the details
remain sketchy. Practice makes perfect,

(and snip the rest)

A word on word meanings. "Bend" means to go from
a straight to a not-straight condition. If you are
speaking about something that is not straight and
I'm going to "bend" it, I am going to make it *more
not straight*.

Yes. Bend, and bend more, I do use common and simple meaning (to my
knowledge) for my words.

Have you been telling me to bend
my knees when in fact you wanted me to "unbend"
my knees to do the "slip" maneuver?

No, when you bend more knees from a balanced posture, be that in turn
or going straight, you'd take some force off the skis, and you'd feel
the skis going flat; that's where/when you get scared and rush through
turning uphill to save your sanity. However, the flattened skis also
mean you are somewhat unweighted, so it is easy to manipulate the skis
into a desired configuration (e.g. bringing the lead ski backward to
switch the weight on, etc.), which will lead the skis to a particular
direction, then re-weigh them, in the balance, you'd have changed the
direction.

If so, it's actually beginning to make sense.

Or you can go directly into a turn by straighten the "hip" (I think
that's what you mean by "straighten your legs") on the inside leg to
slip the inside ski (breaker) while keep the outside ski flat (runner);
runner runs, and breaker breaks, with the different speed of the two
skis, you turn.

IS

VtSkier

Old February 19th 05, 05:24 AM
vern93

In article ,
"Scott Abraham" wrote:

Shame you didn't have anything that worked when you raced me at Whistler.
In the gates or in the downhill.

What year was that?
Old February 20th 05, 04:09 AM
rosco

yunlong wrote:
snip an incredible amount of total bull****

SHUT THE **** UP YOU DIMWITTED ASSHOLE

Old February 22nd 05, 07:09 PM
A. B. Normal

Armin wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:

AstroPax wrote in
news
//good stuff snipped//

Har!

Hey, don't quit now... let's keep it going:

Woman who fly upside down in airplane have hairy crack up.

Man with hands in pocket feel cocky all day.

.... Next....

Man who make love on ground, have piece on earth.
Old February 22nd 05, 07:27 PM
Armin

A. B. Normal wrote:
Armin wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:

AstroPax wrote in
news
//good stuff snipped//

Har!

Hey, don't quit now... let's keep it going:

Woman who fly upside down in airplane have hairy crack up.

Man with hands in pocket feel cocky all day.

Man who make love on ground, have piece on earth.

Man with five dicks will have pants that fit like a glove.

....Next...