Closest ski resort for driving

Old January 27th 05, 09:13 PM
Adrian Tupper

Default Closest ski resort for driving

delurk

I was wondering if anyone knows or can suggest which ski resort
of any quality/size is closest driving distance from Zeebrugge.
(Probably the same as for Calais).

According to www.mappy.com it takes over 9 hours to drive to
the Isere area (9hr40 to La Plagne I think) but Morzine is about
8hr30. Possibly some Swiss resorts are closer?

Any other suggestions?

TIA
--
Adrian

Old January 28th 05, 08:41 AM
Clive

I vaguely remember years ago (might have false memory) driving down to
Geneva then into Chamonix almost motorway all the way.

Where ever you drive to in the Alps it will be a long hop and 30
minutes difference in planned time might evaporate in one traffic jam.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and your experiences when
there.

Clive

Old January 28th 05, 09:00 AM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Adrian Tupper :
I was wondering if anyone knows or can suggest which ski resort
of any quality/size is closest driving distance from Zeebrugge.
(Probably the same as for Calais).

According to www.mappy.com it takes over 9 hours to drive to
the Isere area (9hr40 to La Plagne I think) but Morzine is about
8hr30. Possibly some Swiss resorts are closer?

Yes, the Swiss resorts. Choose from any of the resorts on the north side
of the Alps, such as (working west to east) Gstaad, Adelboden/Lenk, Jungfrau,
Meiringen, any of the central Switzerland resorts (Andermatt, Hoch Ybrig,
Rigi, Klewenalp, Engelberg etc).

You have to pay CHF40 for the motorway in Switzerland, but you don't have to
pay the extortionate French peage (the Luxembourg-Metz-Nancy bit in France
is not a peage). Fill up with petrol in Lux: it's dead cheap.

If you can travel overnight, it will be an easy journey too. Probably about
10 or 11 hours driving time. We do it that way every year.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old January 28th 05, 09:51 AM
mutley

"Adrian Tupper" wrote in message I was wondering if anyone knows or can
suggest which ski resort of any quality/size is closest driving distance
from Zeebrugge.
(Probably the same as for Calais).

Try La Clusaz/le Grand Bornand but this is via Geneva-Chamonix autoroute and
then single carr. road. Flaine may not be much further and some of the
resorts reached via Lyon and autoroute are quick time but more distance.
There are resorts in the Jura which are nearer but may seem 'tame' to you.
HTH
mutley

Old January 28th 05, 10:51 AM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Adrian Tupper :
According to www.mappy.com it takes over 9 hours to drive to
the Isere area (9hr40 to La Plagne I think) but Morzine is about
8hr30. Possibly some Swiss resorts are closer?

I just checked some Swiss times, given that (wow- amazing) web site you
gave.

Zeebrugge-Interlaken 7h51 (from where about 15 minutes to any of the
Jungfrau resorts or Meiringen)
Zeebrugge-Luzern 7h17 (from where between 15 mins and 1 hour to any of the
central Switzerland resorts)

So Switzerland seems a better bet than France if you're looking for the
quickest drive.

Adrian

Old January 28th 05, 11:47 AM
Ralf Langanke

Adrian Tupper wrote:

delurk

I was wondering if anyone knows or can suggest which ski resort
of any quality/size is closest driving distance from Zeebrugge.
(Probably the same as for Calais).

According to www.mappy.com it takes over 9 hours to drive to
the Isere area (9hr40 to La Plagne I think) but Morzine is about
8hr30. Possibly some Swiss resorts are closer?

Any other suggestions?

Small resort in the Black Forest:

http://www.liftverbund-feldberg.de/

Distance 682 km, 6hr40

HTH

--
Ralf Langanke

http://www.slanganke.de
Old January 28th 05, 01:19 PM
Marco Cattaneo

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
So Switzerland seems a better bet than France if you're looking for the
quickest drive.

Which stands to reason, given that the French Alps are located south of
Swizerland...

Generalisations aside, do consider also likely traffic congestion on the way
(only a problem in France during the February weekends) and possible delays
at the Swiss border (all those foreigners queueing to buy their motorway
sticker...)

Old January 28th 05, 01:22 PM
David Brown :o\)

How about Val de Wanne? http://www.skipiste.be/
Less than 3 hours by road from Zeebrugge, and 30 cm of snow on the piste
as of today!

Have you been there? I'm not very good at French to say the least, but I
think it says 'The Longest Piste in Belgium' and 2 ski lifts?
What's it actually like? I assume it's just a hill, with one piste but is
it worth a day trip?

Cheers

--
kitemap