Hertz cars - snow chains?

Old January 27th 05, 09:13 AM
SkyCatcher

Default Hertz cars - snow chains?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Hertz cars come pre-equipped @ Geneva airport with
snow chains? I've used EasyCar from there and theirs did by default. The
information on their website is unclear.

tia,

Sky.

Old January 27th 05, 10:17 AM
Steve Haigh

SkyCatcher wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Hertz cars come pre-equipped @ Geneva airport with
snow chains? I've used EasyCar from there and theirs did by default. The
information on their website is unclear.

If you are hiring from the Swiss side then they should be included, but
it's worth calling to confirm (I think all the rental stations on the
Swiss side include chains and snow tires). If you are hiring form the
French side you will need to request them and pay extra. For this reason
it can be cheaper to hire from the Swiss side, even if the rate is a bit
higher than the French.
Old January 27th 05, 12:12 PM
Steve Pardoe

Hi, all,

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
SkyCatcher wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Hertz cars come pre-equipped @ Geneva airport

with
snow chains? I've used EasyCar from there and theirs did by default. The
information on their website is unclear.

If you are hiring from the Swiss side then they should be included, but
it's worth calling to confirm (I think all the rental stations on the
Swiss side include chains and snow tires). If you are hiring form the
French side you will need to request them and pay extra. For this reason
it can be cheaper to hire from the Swiss side, even if the rate is a bit
higher than the French.

I've heard that the Swiss paperwork is also more straightforward, and they
include the annual Autobahn/route vignette, which you otherwise might have
to buy if you were renting in France but were planning to cross onto the
Swiss motorways.

Steve (P)

Old January 27th 05, 04:22 PM
mike

SkyCatcher wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Hertz cars come pre-equipped @ Geneva airport

with
snow chains? I've used EasyCar from there and theirs did by default. The
information on their website is unclear.

If you are hiring from the Swiss side then they should be included, but
it's worth calling to confirm (I think all the rental stations on the
Swiss side include chains and snow tires). If you are hiring form the
French side you will need to request them and pay extra. For this reason
it can be cheaper to hire from the Swiss side, even if the rate is a bit
higher than the French.

It's worth checking because in my experience chains are extra and charged
locally on a per day basis. Hertz quoted chains as extra when I recently
wanted quote for hire car at Zurich.
HTH Mike

Old January 27th 05, 06:49 PM
Steve Haigh

SkyCatcher wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Hertz cars come pre-equipped @ Geneva airport

with

snow chains? I've used EasyCar from there and theirs did by default. The
information on their website is unclear.

If you are hiring from the Swiss side then they should be included, but
it's worth calling to confirm (I think all the rental stations on the
Swiss side include chains and snow tires). If you are hiring form the
French side you will need to request them and pay extra. For this reason
it can be cheaper to hire from the Swiss side, even if the rate is a bit
higher than the French.

It's worth checking because in my experience chains are extra and charged
locally on a per day basis. Hertz quoted chains as extra when I recently
wanted quote for hire car at Zurich.

In that case I'd definitly call them. Some other companies do include
chains (Europcar did last weekend and so do Avis), but as I said only on
the Swiss side.

Old January 28th 05, 08:21 AM
Snorer

I returned yesterday from Flaine. I hired from Swiss side Geneva with Alamo.
Chains came as standard. I am sure it is mandatory with all Swiss side
bookings. Last year I used the French side of Geneva (Bummer, don't try it)
I had to request them as they were not standard issue.

Snorer.

PS this Saturday the 22nd you would have needed them for the Flaine drive.
Came back Wednesday and only needed them to over the top of the bowl, I was
able to remove them at Les carroz.

Old January 29th 05, 08:34 PM
Iain Miller

"SkyCatcher" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Hertz cars come pre-equipped @ Geneva airport with
snow chains? I've used EasyCar from there and theirs did by default. The
information on their website is unclear.

You get stung for extra for chains in Germany but not usually in
Switzerland. In Germany you end up paying some ridiculous Airport tax on car
rental as well something like 17 or 19%.

GRUMP ON

Car rental pricing is one of my pet peeves - why oh why can't you get a
price that includes EVERYTHING when you book the damn thing??? All the extra
insurances, charges for additional drivers, extra charges for snow chains,
child seats, roof bars etc etc can easily add 50% to what you thought you
were going to have to pay and often as not you can't find out the prices for
these things before you get to the rental desk.

In Germany recently they even wanted an extra 15 yo-yos a DAY for winter
tyres!! In Switzerland you tend to get these as standard.

GRUMP OFF

I.

Old February 1st 05, 02:51 PM

If you are hiring from Hertz then the obvious people to ask the question to
is Hertz ! (no matter what anyone says on here - only Hertz can give you a
definitive answer)

By the way it is not obligatory for hire companies to provide chains in
Switzerland automatically. (Not everyone who hires a car is going to a ski
resort)

It may be that there is no extra charge for chains but you still have to
request them (and you have to check that they are in the car before you
leave, just in case they have forgotten to put them in the boot)

..