A-Basin or Loveland - Season Pass

Old September 28th 04, 12:30 PM
Kamala

Default A-Basin or Loveland - Season Pass

Hi,

My husband and I usually ski in CO 2 weeks a season (Once in Dec and
once in Feb/Mar). We usually go to the big resorts and pay through our
noses for the lift tickets for 5-6 days of skiing.

This year, since we are planning to start skiing the Thanksgiving week
itself, I've been checking out A-Basin and Loveland - both of which
will probably be open soon. Both are offering season passes in the
range of $250-$290. If we didn't buy the season pass, we would be
paying $45 per day for 6 days of skiing over Thanksgiving week. So it
makes sense to get a season pass at one of these places.

A-Basin and Loveland's passes are just $40 apart in their current
season pass rates.

A-Basin's pass gives 5 days of skiing at Breck and a day at Vail -
which is awesome as we can go there in Feb for our week's vacation.
But...

Loveland seems like a much bigger terrain with more varied terrain -
so that I don't get bored. Also, Loveland has a "take 3 intermediate
lessons and get a season pass for $100" deal which works out to their
current season pass rate.

We are both intermediate skiiers.

Any suggestions on which one to go for? Am quite lost having never
been to either resorts.

Ah yes, we are not the fur types nor are we looking for tons of apres
ski activities. Good skiing is all we ask for :-)

Any info will be much appreciated.
Kamala
Old September 29th 04, 03:59 AM
H. R. Bob Hofmann

(Kamala) wrote in message . com...
[...]

You will have to stay elsewhere for either Loveland or A-basin.
A-basin is on the west side of the continental divide, Loveland on the
east side. Keystone has a lot of rental units, also
Silverthorne/Dillon, for access to A-basin. For Loveland, anywhere
along I-70 from Denver through Idaho Springs.

Your choice of more terrain at Loveland in Nov vs adding Vail and
Breck in March is a tough call. I would probably go A-basin as I like
Breck. Others will tell you the exact opposite, I am sure.

H. R. (Bob) HOfmann

Old October 2nd 04, 12:37 AM
TCS

Tough call. Yes, Loveland is bigger but hard to beat those Breck tickets.

Which ever you pick, plan one day at the other area so you will know next time.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in 3 weeks.
Old October 5th 04, 07:41 AM
Just Me

(TCS) wrote in
:

Tough call. Yes, Loveland is bigger but hard to beat those Breck
tickets.

Which ever you pick, plan one day at the other area so you will know
next time.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in 3 weeks.

I have been thinking about this post for the last week. I myself
don't know how to answer it. I think if the OP wants the most
difference in terrain, than the A-Basin pass is the way to go.

But on the other hand, I ski Loveland. I love the area. But
I know some of the people that work there.

This is a tough call. The original OP (if I recall is from out
of state (CO)), so I would have to suggest the A-Basin pass. In
my mind I think of A-Basin & Loveland as being close to equals.
The extra days that the A-Basin pass offers I think would make
a better value. Their pass costs less. The Loveland pass has
made quite a jump in price since last spring (My price $233, the
same pass now is $259, and that is based on owning a prior pass).

So, if you are not a prior Loveland pass holder, the cost is $289
and no access to Breck/Key/Vail/B-C. Where the pass for A-Basin
is just a tad over $200.

If I was from out of state, I would go with the A-Basin bonus
5 pass.

And one of the reasons this is hard for me to recomend, is I
already have both passes (paid for last spring).

Perhaps the best solution for the OP (Original Poster) is to buy
as many A-Basin passes as there are family members. Then buy
what ever 4 packs for Loveland are requied to have a $$value
experience there, as their 4 packs are simply 4 lift tix. Meaning
that 1 person "rides" there 4 days, or 4 people ride there on
the same day. Or 2 people on 2 different days. The Loveland
4 pack of tix are like no other area that _I_ know of. They
are simply 4 tix. Use the any and or all as you wish, over 4
differnt days, or all 4 on the same day. $89US.

I am just glad I have both A-Basin & L-Basin passes. My
ski options are easy. I generally ski L & A-Basin. I like
a few days at the "BIGS". But since I am a weekend skier, that
generally leaves me at my Beloved Loveland.

But to me, Loveland is a large bit more than the sking. It is
my home. As I have told the Loveland marketing department,
If there was a state law that said I could buy only one pass,
it would be a Loveland pass. So, I hope the OP understands my
love of Loveland. Dave, Jeff & Dianne in the Rathskeller bar
make each of my days there special. I can't wait to see them
this month, And I WILL!

Sam "I love to ski my Beloved Loveland" Seiber
Old October 31st 04, 12:18 AM
Kamala

Thanks a lot for all the help - I went ahead and bought A-Basin Bonus
pass. Will Ski there from Friday before Thanksgiving till Friday after
Thanksgiving. Then will go to Breck in Feb/Mar for 5 days. For just
$229, that's a steal - 8 days in November plus 5 days at Breck -
couldn't get even just Breck tickets for that price !!!!

Thanks again for all your help.

Kamala