Teleboarding

Old May 10th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

Default Teleboarding

"taichiskiing" wrote in message
On May 9, 10:18 pm, "Stuart" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

Must be quite thrilling to do stuff like that. I bet even a small
Cessna
can
get going "down the fall line" pretty fast in a spin

"Down the fall line fast" wasn't really the problem, we usually
recovered it at least 500 ft above ground; the problem was the
spinning ground that was quite disorienting.

Another interesting experience I had with spin was one day I was out
with another flight instructor who was going to check me out on spin
recovery in a Cessna 150 before one of my check-rides. With a heavy
load--that instructor was fairly heavy--on a hot summer afternoon and
Colorado Springs' high altitude, the little Cessna was barely
climbing. It took us at least 20 minutes to climb to 3000 ft above
ground to do our spins. After a couple of spins, we were down to the
bottom and we had to do that tedious climb again, suck. But this time,
the other instructor spotted some eagles were soaring near by, so he
told me to fly with those eagles, which I did, alas, we were climbing
at 750 ft/min and reached to our maneuver altitude in just a few
minutes, so we did that yo-yo up and down a couple of more times, fun,
and that day I learned how to soar with eagles to find thermals; that
was really thrilling.

OK Let's see if you are really a pilot or not. You won't be able to
google
the answers.

T&G in the 172. Prelanding checklist.
Propellor control full foreward or full back? Why?
Carb heat on or off? Why?

If you leave carb heat incorrectly set after you apply full power for
takeoff what happens?

You are talking about the airplane operating procedures, not flying,
and I am no longer current on the airplanes. If I remember correctly,
most of Cessna 172 [I flew] have fixed landing gears and a fixed pitch
propeller, only on a few high end 172RG have the retractable landing
gears and constant speed prop. On landing, a constant speed propeller
should be back on the highest pitch and carb heat off, in case if you
need to go around. As carb heat induces heated air which enriches fuel
mixture which reduces engine performance, so it's normally left off on
take off and landing. If you leave it on, the engine may puff and
stall.

"Prelanding checklist," eh? Sounds like a student pilot, are you?

BTW, "fine" pitch for landing is not normally described as "back on the
highest pitch"
In simple operational terms it's "props full forward" or "increase RPM"

Don't bull**** me here about your flight experience, man. I'll catch on in
seconds. I know we like to look good, experienced and all.

IS

Old May 10th 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On May 10, 7:13*am, taichiskiing
wrote:
On May 9, 3:00 pm, Richard Henry wrote:

When flying straight and level at 100 knots, how much
lift do the wings of a Cessna 150 provide?

At the "straight and level," the wings produce lift equal to the gross
of the airplane flying weight. Why? You think you know a better
answer?

That's not the answer you gave earlier.
Old May 10th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On May 10, 7:18*am, taichiskiing
wrote:

[...]

Don't all experienced pilots use checklists?

Old May 10th 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On May 10, 8:32 am, "Stuart" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

"Prelanding checklist," eh? Sounds like a student pilot, are you?

If you are in a landing circuit and are forced to make a missed approach and
you have left carb heat off, on base and short final you may develop carb
ice while on reduced power, thus and have no power available for the go
around, therefore it is mandatory to have the carb heat in the ON position
on landing. Once engine RPM has been established carb heat comes off, but
not for the exact reasons you metioned. The engine will not "puff and stall"
it just doesn't develop full power.

Maybe you're right. Since the flight manual called for "cold" for carb
heat on take off and landing and I was a low time pilot, I don't
recall I've messed it around much, but I do remember reading
somewhere, if you apply carb heat prematurely, you may reduce the carc
heat effectiveness, and end up with the carburetor icing when the real
icing condition exist, by then you would have no carb heat to de-ice
it.

BTW a "stall" is a term used to describe the condition of flight. Pilots
almost never use the term regarding the engine, unlike a motorist. It's an
engine "failure"

Yup, you're right; if I'd have to go back to flying, I'd have to pick
up those terminologies again.

I have been an active pilot since 1972. My father ran a flying school from
when I was first born and also started flying as a very loung lad with my
father. I have logged not quite 10K hours in Tiger Moths, Beech Bonanza,
Piper Navajo, Boeing Stearman, Beech Staggerwing, Bellanca Decathlon, Lake
Amphibian, Cessna 180 on wheels/floats, Piper Tri-pacer, Colt, Mooney
Statesman, NA AT6..(Just going by past memory)anyhow that's a partial list
it's early and memery no good. I am current on the turbo Navajo. which is
twin

Quite a resume, some one born lucky, I guess; I have to struggle to
earn for my every flying hour, so I flew mostly only low end
airplanes. Actually, that's my idea of "flying," (get bounced in the
air). At higher end, the "flying" is no longer flying, but "cockpit
management"?

"Not quite 10k" is still a lot of flying hours, what kind of flying do
you do?

IS
Old May 10th 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On May 10, 8:40 am, "Stuart" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

BTW, "fine" pitch for landing is not normally described as "back on the
highest pitch"
In simple operational terms it's "props full forward" or "increase RPM"

Well, "back on the highest pitch" is an explanation to a layman, as
not until now, you haven't committed as you are a pilot. Btw, I don't
really recall all those fancy terminology I used to use; I only
remember a 25-25 for aerobatic maneuver speed, do you know what is it?

Don't bull**** me here about your flight experience, man. I'll catch on in
seconds. I know we like to look good, experienced and all.

"Bull****"? I was wondering how long this "civil conversation" would
last. But no, man, if you would learn anything on this board, that
would be I don't lie, so what you "catch on" maybe your own bull****,
as there's a "gap" somewhere.

IS
Old May 10th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

On May 10, 8:40 am, "Stuart" wrote:
[...]

Using the term "back" to describe the use of highest pitch would be terribly
confusing. I hope you didn't explain it to your students in that way.
That would be because all conventional prop controls go FORWARD for fine
pitch. It would kinda like saying go "back on the highest throttle" to
increase power, when throttle controls conventionally go forward to increase
power.

I have never heard the use of "highest" pitch either. All I ever recall
being used is either fine/coarse or RPM increase/decrease

IS

Old May 10th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

On May 10, 8:40 am, "Stuart" wrote:
[...]

PS what type of aircraft were you doing aerobatics in? The Cessna 150 and
172 are only certified for stalls and spins and not aerobatics. Only the 152
Aerobat is certified for aerobatics.

IS

Old May 10th 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

On May 10, 8:40 am, "Stuart" wrote:
[...]

You can hardly expect to have a "civil conversation" with someone when it is
plainly and obviously clear to me at least, that you are confabulating your
aviation experience.

Old May 10th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On May 10, 8:40 am, "Stuart" wrote:
[...]

No, I wasn't explaining it to my students, but to the laymen and
gappers on this board; when flying then it is fairly obvious, "back"
is to pull the control "knob" backward.

That would be because all conventional prop controls go FORWARD for fine
pitch. It would kinda like saying go "back on the highest throttle" to
increase power, when throttle controls conventionally go forward to increase
power.

I have never heard the use of "highest" pitch either. All I ever recall
being used is either fine/coarse or RPM increase/decrease

Iirc, constant-speed propeller is adjusted for propeller's efficiency
and save fuel; as it spins at a constant speed, I don't think that
adjusting the pitch of the propeller would effect engine RPM much. So
for a 10k-hour pilot to suggest that to move the propeller's pitch
forward to increase power is really interesting, (that's why i said,
"there's a "gap" somewhere,") what kind of flying do you say you are
flying?

IS