Les Carroz: (very) quick trip report

Old January 26th 05, 06:15 PM
Steve Haigh

Default Les Carroz: (very) quick trip report

Just got back from a 4 day trip to Les Carroz, thought I'd post a few
bits and bobs for anyone heading to that area (Grand Massif, inc. Flaine).

We arrived on Saturday at about midday. Clearly they'd had a fair bit of
snow late last week and the slopes were looking good. Snow chains
essential from Les Carroz upwards towards Flaine, however the road was
looking much clearer when we left on Tuesday, so the road itself would
probably be passable with snow tires. Chains probably still needed to
get in and out of car parks etc.

The snow continued until Monday afternoon. Total fresh snow was in the
order of 50cm+. Some great powder skiing was had, especially on Monday
morning. Tuesday was blue skies and superb skiing in very cold weather
(-20c not inc. wind chill)

The whole area was pretty quiet, we waited for approx 2 minutes to get
on the gondola from Les Carroz on Sunday morning, and that was the
closest we got to a queue. Almost every run and lift was open in Les
Carroz, however a lot of the high runs from the DMC back down to Flaine
were closed all the time we were there and looked like staying that was
for a day or 2 longer. This was due to avalanche risk. The Gers bowl
(the Cascades and Styx runs down to Sixt) was also closed, as is
normally the case after a heavy snow fall. We didn't ski the Samoens
area at all, but given the conditions elsewhere I'm sure most runs will
be open and in good condition.

I suspect the avalanche risk is pretty high not just because of the
depth of snow but also the high winds creating windslab.

Despite the snow, and perhaps due to the high winds, the accumulated
depth on the high slopes is still not that great - the open slopes below
the DMC looked extremely dangerous - lots of holes still visible and
off-piste in this area still looks unfeasible unless you know exactly
where you are going. Lower down the snow depth is pretty good and
there's some great skiing on and off piste. The off piste is pretty
tracked out but still good fun and it's a great base for any new snow.
The pistes are all in good condition, although they are thin in the
exposed high-traffic areas around the top of the Grand Vans lift. Given
the cold temps I'm sure the snow makers and goomers will ensure they
stay in good nick for a while yet.

Steve
Old January 27th 05, 07:11 AM
Ace

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:15:06 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

snip

Snow chains
essential from Les Carroz upwards towards Flaine, however the road was
looking much clearer when we left on Tuesday, so the road itself would
probably be passable with snow tires. Chains probably still needed to
get in and out of car parks etc.

I think you underestimate the effectiveness of snow tyres. Since
fitting them each winter I've _never_ had to use chains. OK, 4wd
helps, but even on a 2wd it's going to be very rare you'd need them,
and then it'll mainly be for security when coming down a snow-packed,
twisty road, like the last bit down to Flaine.

Despite the snow, and perhaps due to the high winds, the accumulated
depth on the high slopes is still not that great -

It's being quoted as 205 cm, which is about average for the time of
year.

the open slopes below
the DMC looked extremely dangerous - lots of holes still visible and
off-piste in this area still looks unfeasible unless you know exactly
where you are going.

Ahh. Well, you see, this is always the case. The holes very rarely
fill in completely and even if they do it's an area that demands a
very cautious approach. But often has great snow too

Lower down the snow depth is pretty good and
there's some great skiing on and off piste. The off piste is pretty
tracked out but still good fun and it's a great base for any new snow.
The pistes are all in good condition, although they are thin in the
exposed high-traffic areas around the top of the Grand Vans lift. Given
the cold temps I'm sure the snow makers and goomers will ensure they
stay in good nick for a while yet.

Yeah, it's looking good for a few weeks after the amount that's fallen
in the last few days.

Good report, thanks.
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 27th 05, 10:20 AM
Steve Haigh

Ace wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:15:06 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

snip

I think you underestimate the effectiveness of snow tyres.

Possibly. How well do snow tires cope with deep sticky snow though? I
can see tires working well on compacted snow on the roads, but the car
parks were 30cm+ deep in fairly heavy wet snow, can snow tires cope with
this?

Old January 27th 05, 11:35 AM
Ace

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:20:53 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

Ace wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:15:06 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

snip

I think you underestimate the effectiveness of snow tyres.

Possibly. How well do snow tires cope with deep sticky snow though? I
can see tires working well on compacted snow on the roads, but the car
parks were 30cm+ deep in fairly heavy wet snow, can snow tires cope with
this?

Indeed, it's what they're designed for. The intention is not to shed
snow, but actually trap it within the tread, making a snow to snow
contact which offers much more 'stiction' than rubber to snow ever
will. Deep sticky wet snow is ideal for them.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 28th 05, 08:27 AM
Snorer

Great repot Steve saved me doing it. I arrived on the Saturday. needed
chains to get from Les Carroz to Flaine and still needed them to get to Les
carroz on Wednesday night. No problem from there. Light very flat in poor
visability Sun/Mon but better Tuesday. Wednesday got even better Blue skies
better grooming but B Cold -27 at the top of DMC.
Going this weekend ? I suspect perfect conditions
Snorer

Old January 28th 05, 11:10 AM
Steve Haigh

Snorer wrote:
Great repot Steve saved me doing it. I arrived on the Saturday. needed
chains to get from Les Carroz to Flaine and still needed them to get to Les
carroz on Wednesday night. No problem from there. Light very flat in poor
visability Sun/Mon but better Tuesday. Wednesday got even better Blue skies
better grooming but B Cold -27 at the top of DMC.

Yep, light was pretty poor on Sunday, but it really cleared up at about
2:30pm on Monday, that was fantastic as so much stuff was untracked by
then.

Going this weekend ? I suspect perfect conditions

Sadly not, but I'll be back there in March. In the meantime I'm off to
Gressoney for a week in Feb. If the conditions are anything like as good
as last weekend I'll be very happy:-)
Old January 29th 05, 03:43 PM
Roger Moss

Snorer wrote:

Going this weekend ? I suspect perfect conditions

Just back last night (Fri) and can confirm conditions are pretty well
perfect after a seriously cold week which has found trees still coated with
last snowfalls - no melt. Which, in turn, means that overnight grooming
produces excellent results.

The road access seems okay, although care is needed at night, when the
already exceptionally low daytime temps really do take a dive. We made it
safely without snow tyres, though.

Go for it, and enjoy...

RM

Old January 31st 05, 11:52 AM
Champ

wrote:

snip

Snow chains
essential from Les Carroz upwards towards Flaine, however the road was
looking much clearer when we left on Tuesday, so the road itself would
probably be passable with snow tires. Chains probably still needed to
get in and out of car parks etc.

I think you underestimate the effectiveness of snow tyres. Since
fitting them each winter I've _never_ had to use chains. OK, 4wd
helps, but even on a 2wd it's going to be very rare you'd need them,

I can second this. We had snow tyres on a crummy FWD Fiat Marea a few
years ago, and it got all the way to Tignes without needing chains,
with a *lot* of fresh snow on the road.

In the US a few weeks ago, the snow tyres on our 4x4 meant we hardly
noticed the snow.
--
Champ