An Amazing Day

Old January 18th 05, 02:45 PM
MattB

VtSkier wrote:
snip

Not only that, but areas will skew classification for
marketing purposes (NO, they wouldn't do that would they?).

Haha. Crested Butte has done that as well. I guess there were
complaints that the front side runs were almost all blacks. So they
fixed it! They re-classified one run (Upper Keystone) from black to
blue. There, problem solved!
That run is always the most scraped off and full of a scary mix of
terrified unpredictable traversers and fast, fall line skiing (mostly
boarding here for some reason - no bumps?) more advanced people trying
to thread through all the others going too fast.
I avoid it whenever there's another option open but in the early season
it's sometimes the only way to get to the base from the top of the front
side without doing a really long slow green cat road. It's a mess and
seems to be unanimously hated.
This all reminds me of a lift ride I had with a woman visiting from
Texas when I was working on the mountain. We're riding the Silverqueen
lift over International and she says "When they made this mountain, they
should have made it with more blues and greens.". I said "Yeah, I'll
suggest that if we remodel."

Matt

Old January 18th 05, 02:54 PM
Chester Bullock

MattB wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
snip

Not only that, but areas will skew classification for
marketing purposes (NO, they wouldn't do that would they?).

Haha. Crested Butte has done that as well. I guess there were

I would swear to you that River Run at Keystone should be a black. Same
pitch, and generally same condition, as Rosie's Run at Copper - which is
a black. But I would be willing to bet money that they classify it as a
blue to not scare people from staying in the River Run complex, since
they might not feel capable of skiing a black. It scares me to ski that
run though. Icy as hell, and a bunch of people that don't know what
they are doing. Equals a serious injury waiting to happen.

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247

Old January 18th 05, 06:05 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-18, Chester Bullock penned:

I would swear to you that River Run at Keystone should be a black. Same
pitch, and generally same condition, as Rosie's Run at Copper - which is a
black. But I would be willing to bet money that they classify it as a blue
to not scare people from staying in the River Run complex, since they might
not feel capable of skiing a black. It scares me to ski that run though.
Icy as hell, and a bunch of people that don't know what they are doing.
Equals a serious injury waiting to happen.

I've had the same thought process. I skied it early last season, and there
were no green options to get to the base, just this run. It was a nightmare,
with people falling all over or skiing erratically. I found it extremely hard
to ski this run as slowly as I felt I should to avoid causing an accident.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 18th 05, 06:31 PM
vbenares

Chester Bullock wrote:

[snip]

I would swear to you that River Run at Keystone should be a black. Same
pitch, and generally same condition, as Rosie's Run at Copper - which is
a black. But I would be willing to bet money that they classify it as a
blue to not scare people from staying in the River Run complex, since
they might not feel capable of skiing a black. It scares me to ski that
run though. Icy as hell, and a bunch of people that don't know what
they are doing. Equals a serious injury waiting to happen.

I feel that way about nearly the whole front side of Keystone and
Mozart! Though I don't really think River Run is as steep as Rosi's or
as other blacks, it is always icy and full of maniacs. (I don't help
things either. In an effort at self-preservation, I sometimes sideslip
big parts of it just so I don't become somebody's airbag.)

What is it about Keystone that attracts mediocre skiers and riders in
such large proportion? And why are such a large proportion of them
haven't a clue about safety or courtesy or who has the right of way?

Old January 18th 05, 06:35 PM
Chester Bullock

vbenares wrote:

What is it about Keystone that attracts mediocre skiers and riders in
such large proportion? And why are such a large proportion of them
haven't a clue about safety or courtesy or who has the right of way?

It's all about marketing to the midwest and south.

----------------------

Old January 19th 05, 01:36 AM
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

CLIP

Today was nice, too. Tomorrow will also be nice, as will the rest of
our days.

You all can bite me, bite me.

nibble nibble

it's turning to corn out there...

....another beautiful day in paradise - I could get used to this skiing
every day...

We are still skating on thin to non-existent snow here in good Olde New
England.

it'll happen - just stay calm, and believe.

I'll be out at the end of February to see if you guys left me anything
to ski on.

I'm trying to use it all up, but it looks hopeless - there's likely
going to be patches left.

VtSkier

Old January 19th 05, 01:52 AM
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

CLIP

Today was nice, too. Tomorrow will also be nice, as will the rest of
our days.

You all can bite me, bite me.

nibble nibble

it's turning to corn out there...

...another beautiful day in paradise - I could get used to this skiing
every day...

We are still skating on thin to non-existent snow here in good Olde
New England.

it'll happen - just stay calm, and believe.

I'll be out at the end of February to see if you guys left me anything
to ski on.

I'm trying to use it all up, but it looks hopeless - there's likely
going to be patches left.

VtSkier

Well yeah, hopefully you'll show me some of those patches.

Old January 20th 05, 05:43 AM
Bob

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Indeed. Ullr and Skadi have blessed us.

The snow remains good on the northern steeps, the pack has settled, and
the mountains becken.

By the way, you can all thank me for that good day - I was too hot the
day before so I wore my spring jacket and pants; naturally Ullr took
that as an affront and snowed on us.

Today was nice, too. Tomorrow will also be nice, as will the rest of our
days.

You all can bite me, bite me.

We are still skating on thin to non-existent snow here in good Olde New
England.

I'll be out at the end of February to see if you guys left me anything
to ski on.

And here near Seattle, all the areas have closed until we get more snow.
Stevens Pass had 6" of rain in 24 hours, with more to come.

Bob

Old January 20th 05, 01:03 PM
VtSkier

Bob wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

Indeed. Ullr and Skadi have blessed us.

The snow remains good on the northern steeps, the pack has settled, and
the mountains becken.

By the way, you can all thank me for that good day - I was too hot the
day before so I wore my spring jacket and pants; naturally Ullr took
that as an affront and snowed on us.

Today was nice, too. Tomorrow will also be nice, as will the rest of our
days.

You all can bite me, bite me.

We are still skating on thin to non-existent snow here in good Olde New
England.

I'll be out at the end of February to see if you guys left me anything
to ski on.

And here near Seattle, all the areas have closed until we get more snow.
Stevens Pass had 6" of rain in 24 hours, with more to come.

Bob

What about Baker and further north?

Old January 20th 05, 10:31 PM
Bob

"VtSkier" wrote in message

And here near Seattle, all the areas have closed until we get more snow.
Stevens Pass had 6" of rain in 24 hours, with more to come.

Bob

What about Baker and further north?

Baker is also closed.

Bob