Opinions: Ski Cooper in Colorado?

Old January 14th 05, 04:49 PM
vbenares

Chester Bullock wrote:

vbenares wrote:

Serious question and not an attempt to argue. For me, after a 1.5 to
2 hour drive, the hassle factor to get to the lifts is a big deal.
Where in the I-70 area is the transportation situation better?

[snip Vail and Keystone]

Breck - the shuttle from the free parking is at least as long as at
Copper and the shuttle loading area may not be as convenient. (Though
if you can take the long run into town, you can walk back to the
parking lot.)

The shuttle ride might be as long, but the shuttles have seats, if you
get there early it is a short walk to the shuttle stop, and if you take
the shuttle to Peak 9, the walk to the lift is very short. Unlike
Copper, where you walk a reasonable distance to a shuttle that (9/10
times) you have to stand up in, then ride a good distance, then walk a
Keystone-like distance to get to the lifts (if you are going to the Main
Village, which we do because the kids and wife aren't comfortable
starting their day on the Super Bee yet).

I agree about the seats. I confess, I have never really been bothered
by standing at Copper. Perhaps because the trip is (I think) shorter
than at Breck and (definitely) flatter.

I don't think the walk at Copper to the Eagle lift is nearly as long as
to Keystone's Gondola but it might be.

Try leaving Copper at about
4:30 or so, from the free lots. It's a friggin zoo. Makes I-25 in rush
hour seem like smooth flowing traffic. That's one of my biggest beef's
with the place, and not an easy one for them to solve. I was never
aware of it when I lived there, for obvious reasons. But I think they
are getting more skiers now than when I lived there too.

Perhaps I haven't been there that around that time. Generally, we all
ski until the lifts stop and then I head out to the lot, drive back, and
hit the highway. I skied there around 20 times last year and don't
recall a problem leaving the lot or getting on the highway. I know I am
typically late enough that I sometimes see them picking up the cones.

[snip Beaver Creek]

A-Basin - definitely better but often requires a walk through mud
which ends up in the car.

If you get there at the right time, you don't have to walk in the mud
(or not very much of it). If you already have a pass, ski down to the
Pali chair and off you go. Possibly the easiest of them all.

You're right. We always need to collect ourselves and gear before
leaving, and we do it in the "lodge." I agree it is the easiest.

Loveland is about the same as A-Basin, parking wise, but without a Pali
chair quick access.

Oops. I forgot one. I agree.

[snip Mary Jane]

Winter Park - a medium walk if you get there early and can park along
the road.

Again, a couple years since I have been, but that parking situation was
all jacked up. Was much easier to ride the shuttle from the condo,
especially since it picked up pretty much right outside the front door.

Any trip to the lift is easier from the condo! The condo routes at
Winter Park is great - nearly door to door - but sometimes (often?) you
end up standing, and it is sometimes a long trip.

I have always been able to park on the road and walk.

These are of course just my opinions. But I don't like walking as far
as I have had to at some of these places, with kids in tow, etc. Makes
it very challenging. It'll be better when they feel comfortable
starting on the most accessible lift.

Kids and gear and extra clothing in tow!

Seems like good free parking would be a huge draw.

Old January 14th 05, 04:56 PM
Chester Bullock

vbenares wrote:

Seems like good free parking would be a huge draw.

Used to be. Now they make you pay for it. And in most places, you are
walking just about as far as people who park for free and ride a
shuttle. Try walking from the Chapel (pay) Lot to the Eagle sometime at
Copper.

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247

Old January 14th 05, 05:03 PM
MattB

Chester Bullock wrote:
vbenares wrote:

Seems like good free parking would be a huge draw.

Used to be. Now they make you pay for it. And in most places, you are
walking just about as far as people who park for free and ride a
shuttle. Try walking from the Chapel (pay) Lot to the Eagle sometime at
Copper.

----------------------
Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247

I ski to and from the car at Monarch when "my spot" is available (most
of the time it is). Other times I have to walk like a couple hundred
yards. Sucks!

I do still miss my old office location at Crested Butte. Right next to
the Silverqueen lift with a permit to park about 50 Ft. away. That was a
nice perc...

Matt

Old January 15th 05, 01:39 PM
vbenares

Chester Bullock wrote:

vbenares wrote:

Seems like good free parking would be a huge draw.

Used to be. Now they make you pay for it. And in most places, you are
walking just about as far as people who park for free and ride a
shuttle. Try walking from the Chapel (pay) Lot to the Eagle sometime at
Copper.

Good example. I did it last year in the early season, when Chapel was
free. I felt a bit stupid.

Old January 15th 05, 01:50 PM
uglymoney

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:40:19 -0600, Chester Bullock
wrote:

Beaver Creek - might be better

Never been, hoping to go this year.

I found the Beaver Creek shuttle lots to be quite good. Small lots,
lots of buses.

The lots at copper suck. Huge lots, not enough buses.

nate

In Colorado For A Ski Trip??? Visit Crested Butte Colorado!!!!! PaulC General 0 February 21st 04 06:35 PM
Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 0 November 18th 03 03:27 AM
while I'm at it -- good bootfitter in Colorado? Monique Y. Herman Alpine Skiing (moderated) 7 October 22nd 03 02:35 AM
Summer snowmaking in Colorado Sam Seiber Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 August 7th 03 12:50 AM
Colorado or Banff? In December-January Serena Snowboarding 4 July 22nd 03 03:19 PM