Advice for learner re. stance?

Old December 13th 03, 06:58 PM
Tom

Default Advice for learner re. stance?

Apologies for familiar question..

I have been practicing (on snow) indoors at Milton Keynes and am still
struggling with anything toe side.

Looking at my stance, my lead foot angles forward a little, but my back foot is
at a right angle. I've decided to try angling the back foot forward a little as
well, as someone recommended this would make toe side things feel less
'foreign'. I also read that it helps a learner when flexing at the knees, which
seems logical as both legs follow a similar line.

However, a friend of mine said that he thinks I'd be better off going for a
duck stance right away.

I reaslise that it might be different for different people, but has anyone got
any advice, given I am struggling a bit with the toe side runs?

Many thanks,

Tom
Old December 13th 03, 10:22 PM
Al_xtreme

Don't go with duck stance when you're learning. It's only better if you ride
fakie and to pull tricks. I've moved to duck stance after 4 years but I
should have move after the first season. Conclusion: Ride well with a
standard stance and after move to duck stance if you wanna do some
freestyle.

Cheers

Old December 13th 03, 10:42 PM
Mike T

I reaslise that it might be different for different people, but has
anyone got
any advice, given I am struggling a bit with the toe side runs?

Stance is in fact a very personal thing. Different stances require
subtle adjustments to your technique in order to keep the edge
engaged... so yeah, changing your stance a bit might play better into
how you are riding. However you'll probably get more mileage from
focusing on your technique.

Without seeing you ride it's hard to say what would help... the more
details you can give about what's happening on your toesides, the more
we'll be able to help!

Mike T

Old December 14th 03, 12:07 AM
Arvin Chang

EMOVE (Tom) wrote in message ...
Apologies for familiar question..

I have been practicing (on snow) indoors at Milton Keynes and am still
struggling with anything toe side.

Looking at my stance, my lead foot angles forward a little, but my back foot is
at a right angle. I've decided to try angling the back foot forward a little as
well, as someone recommended this would make toe side things feel less
'foreign'. I also read that it helps a learner when flexing at the knees, which
seems logical as both legs follow a similar line.

However, a friend of mine said that he thinks I'd be better off going for a
duck stance right away.

I reaslise that it might be different for different people, but has anyone got
any advice, given I am struggling a bit with the toe side runs?

Many thanks,

Tom

Your binding angle setup is very common. I agree with the first
suggestion of angling the back foot a forward more so that you have
positive angles like 30,15. Duck stance (back leg negative) will be a
tiny bit better than having your foot at a right angle, but it won't
be as good as having your foot angled forward. Duck stance is better
for landing jumps and riding switch... important things, but
apparently not what you are looking for.

My informal advice when doing toesides is to set your shoulders/hips
slightly into the turn - so your driving your front knee into and
around the toeside direction and driving your back knee towards your
front knee (causes you to shift you weight towards your toes on the
back foot). This isn't the official way to visual it, it is just how I
think of it.

--Arvin
Old December 16th 03, 09:39 PM
Tom

A big shout-out of thanks to Al_xtreme, Mike T, Arvin Chang and thelonefatty,
for taking the time to answer my learner's questions.

I've had diverse and useful advice, and I think the best thing to do is try a
few things out and see what feels right.

Thanks again, people -

Tom
High Wycombe
UK
Old December 17th 03, 09:44 AM
Dmitry

"Tom" wrote

I've had diverse and useful advice, and I think the best thing to do is try a
few things out and see what feels right.

Don't get caught up in adjusting stuff too much though, that's a
mistake I've made.

It doesn't really make sense to adjust stuff every run, unless you
know what you're doing. Just do your change and stick to it until
you have adjusted to it and really know and feel what it did to
your riding.

Old December 17th 03, 02:04 PM
Chet Hayes

The typical binding angles are 21 front, 6 back. I would start with
something close to those, definitely not duck stance. And I wouldn't
fool around with them much as a beginner. Once you're able to link
turns and start riding would be a more appropriate time to experiment.
When you can't even do toe side turns, it's going to be hard to
evaluate what effect binding angle has.