Flat light goggles?

Old February 20th 06, 08:34 PM

Default Flat light goggles?

Snow is heavy, cloud is low, and I'm thinking, "I gotta get a better
pair of goggles" as the bumps ahead appear to be a flat meadow of grey.
Back home, I Google a bit, through the websites, through the groups,
and most discussions and comments I find are a few years old. The
closest I came was one post where someone praised Oakely's Wisdoms with
a HI lens, but they neglected to state wether persimon or yellow.

I figure anyone can make a goggle for bluebird days. Which are the
best goggles for flat light? No need to discuss light transmission vs
polarisation and light frequencies, as that's been done elsewhere.
Just name the goggles that you think have served you best on those
murky days.

Old February 20th 06, 08:47 PM

aultako wrote:
Snow is heavy, cloud is low, and I'm thinking, "I gotta get a better
pair of goggles" as the bumps ahead appear to be a flat meadow of grey.
Back home, I Google a bit, through the websites, through the groups,
and most discussions and comments I find are a few years old. The
closest I came was one post where someone praised Oakely's Wisdoms with
a HI lens, but they neglected to state wether persimon or yellow.

I figure anyone can make a goggle for bluebird days. Which are the
best goggles for flat light? No need to discuss light transmission vs
polarisation and light frequencies, as that's been done elsewhere.
Just name the goggles that you think have served you best on those
murky days.

I ski in flat light a lot. I've found that rose tinted glasses are the
best for bringing out contrast, followed closely by amber.

Another thing that helps in flat light is to ski narrow trails with
large trees on the sides - the trees block the light from the sides
making the light come predominantly from above which casts some shadows
on the snow surface. If you can't find a narrow trail, ski the edges of
a wide one.

None of this is a panacia; flat light is going to be flat light no
matter what you do.

///Walt
Old February 21st 06, 03:29 AM

If light is so difused that there are no shadows--there are NO SHADOWS. My
Utopia (Rose )goggles do the best I've seen in bringing out what contrast
there is---but if there isn't any to bring out, well, there just isn't any.

--
I ski, therefore I am
oups.com...

Old February 21st 06, 11:54 AM

Walt wrote:
aultako wrote:

[...]

Basically I agree with Walt.

But to add a bit. I have a pair of very light amber
Oakleys which do a good job in cold weather and for
warmer weather I use a pair of light amber/yellow
Remington shooter's glasses, $15 at WalMart.

Warm weather = anything above 30 degrees F.
VtSkier
Old February 21st 06, 02:58 PM

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:35:54 GMT, Mary Malmros
wrote:

Walt wrote:

I ski in flat light a lot. I've found that rose tinted glasses are the
best for bringing out contrast, followed closely by amber.

Rose is my choice too, but the way I picked 'em was to walk out back the
ski shop on a flat-light day and look across the field with various
lenses. I bought the ones that seemed to give me the best contrast --
it was a rose lens.

If you don't have a snowy field on hand, a cloudy sky can work
really well for this too (unless it's completely flat gray overcast).
The difference in detail/relief between different sets of glasses
can be startling. And rose has always worked the best for me, but
lately I've been finding it almost impossible to find good rose
shades, so I've settled for amber. (Likewise with goggles...)

bw
Old February 21st 06, 03:17 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:
Walt wrote:

I ski in flat light a lot. I've found that rose tinted glasses are
the best for bringing out contrast, followed closely by amber.

Rose is my choice too, but the way I picked 'em was to walk out back the
ski shop on a flat-light day and look across the field with various
lenses. I bought the ones that seemed to give me the best contrast --
it was a rose lens.

That's the way I picked my amber goggles. I picked the rose goggles
because I had read here in this extremely useful usenet newsgroup that
rose is supposed to be the best for flat light and I saw a pair of Bolle
rose coloured goggles on sale at TJ Maxx for $5. With lot's of
opportunities to test both under battle conditions, the rose lenese come
out on top.

Another thing that helps in flat light is to ski narrow trails with
large trees on the sides - the trees block the light from the sides
making the light come predominantly from above which casts some
shadows on the snow surface. If you can't find a narrow trail, ski
the edges of a wide one.

I never knew this. Thanks for the tip -- I'll try it next flat light day.

Watch the snow surface as you come out of the narrow trails into the
wide open areas. The difference in contrast is remarkable. (although
the light is still pretty flat everywhere.)

//Walt
Old February 22nd 06, 07:21 PM

Walt wrote:
Another thing that helps in flat light is to ski narrow trails with
large trees on the sides - the trees block the light from the sides
making the light come predominantly from above which casts some shadows
on the snow surface. If you can't find a narrow trail, ski the edges of
a wide one.

NUTS! That trick isn't going to get me off the Ridge at Loveland on
a socked in day. Good thing I pretty much go on the sunny days.

Sam "Skied the Loveland Trees last weekend" Seiber