Thoughts about Thule Roof Carrier?

Old November 23rd 05, 04:02 AM

Default Thoughts about Thule Roof Carrier?

Hi again everyone!

This group has been so helpful to me and I am so thankful to everyone
who has replied to my questions!!!

One last question...

I have a SUV but in order to put a snowboard in I have to remove a
seat. That only lets me carry three people, not to mention the mess
when the snow melts in the car and having boards loose in the car
sliding around.

I have been thinking about one of those Thule racks for my factory roof
rack. At first I was looking at the 575 snowboard carrier but I doubt
it now since it only holds two, and you cant put the board in a bag (I
spoke to customer service today)

My choice would most likely be the 724 or 725 which only cost a little
more, and can carry skis or snowboards, and more of them.

Most importantly I can put a cheap bag which I purchased over the
snowboard to protect it from road salt etc when traveling.

Here is where I am stuck:

My friend who snowboards and used to work in a store claims the wind
will damage the board

The really smart guy in the store who helped me said it will be fine
and he uses one, just put a cheap bag on it to protect it (I purchased
a cheap snowboard bag online for $15)

Does anyone have opinions? Will a rack damage the board from high winds
when driving?

Thanks again!!!

Old November 23rd 05, 04:12 AM

"Devg" wrote

I have been thinking about one of those Thule racks for my factory roof
rack. At first I was looking at the 575 snowboard carrier but I doubt
it now since it only holds two, and you cant put the board in a bag (I
spoke to customer service today)

My choice would most likely be the 724 or 725 which only cost a little
more, and can carry skis or snowboards, and more of them.

Get two sets of short ones and put them on the sides (I forgot which
number is which), that's the best setup. Fits 4 boards or 3 pair of
skis and 2 boards, or 6 skis. Much more convinient than a single
big holder, esp. if your SUV is tall.

I have this setup on my 528i and can't be happier.

Here is where I am stuck:

My friend who snowboards and used to work in a store claims the wind
will damage the board

BS. Put it in a snowboard bag (yes, $15) and forget about it. Lots of
people don't even do that. but I think with skis it's simply dangerous
(a small stone jamming the binding release), and well, maybe Ok for boards.

Old November 23rd 05, 04:20 AM

I've sold over 200 Thule racks for windsurfing and snowboarding,
mostly for use on aero style cars and trucks....
Don't buy any attachments, just use the rectangular bars, put
insulation on them with tape, and if there's enough clearance, bottom
board binding down, top board binding up, you can squeeze 6 boards atop
with their bindings attached, use tiedown straps.
Low profile now, you not only get more than 5mpg better gas mileage
on the freeway, but your boards are protected by the slipstream effect
of the air deflecting over your windshield, and barely getting to the
bindings of the boards.
You'll get some dirt on the shovels facing forwards, but your
bindings have no working parts that need sano clean to operate.
Bags get noisy, flapping around and the ties and straps bang against
the car, killing your paintjob.
Of course, you have to strap over your hibacks, and tuck away the
safety straps......

Old November 23rd 05, 07:49 AM

Devg wrote:

Does anyone have opinions? Will a rack damage the board from high winds
when driving?

Thanks again!!!

I have the Thule 725 and my opinion is no, wind will not damage you
boards noticebly. Even if there was a constant rain of rocks, the
aspect ratio of your boards is so low that I doubt anything would
happen. I don't like putting them in an actual snowboard bag on the
rack. If you have really nice boards, I would get a rooftop box
instead. The 725 also create a lot of wind resistance though and you
will notice a drop in your gas mileage.

Old November 23rd 05, 02:30 PM

Get a box like the Thule 1200:
http://www.rackattack.com/product/67...ution_1200.htm

Keeps the gear clean and provides extra level of security.

Old November 23rd 05, 03:58 PM

Get a box like the Thule 1200:
http://www.rackattack.com/product/67...ution_1200.htm

Keeps the gear clean and provides extra level of security.

That;'s the more expensive way to go, but if don't mind spending the extra
money and one will fit on your vehicle (shouldn't be a problem w/ an SUV)
then that's what I recommend as well. I actually prefer the Yakima racks -
easier to set up and take down. But that's just persaonl preference,
really.

If you have a Subaru wagon (and I only mention it because here in Oregon,
it's the most common boarder-mobile), be careful - the 90/91" racks probably
don't fit without limiting how far your lift gate goes up. I have one, and
decided to do it anyway, but I put some rubber padding on the box so the
liftgate paint doesn't get dinged. The 91" rack was necessary for me to due
the fact that I have boards up to 188cm and will probablY one day own a
Rad-Air Tanker 200.

Mike T

Storing skis in roof box Nirenberg, David Alpine Skiing (moderated) 8 February 13th 05 01:27 AM
Roof Rack or Cargo box? Rich Heimlich Alpine Skiing 132 August 31st 04 12:33 AM
thule & Yak roof boxes Dick Gozinya Alpine Skiing 1 January 21st 04 11:47 PM
Thule Questions Kenny Alpine Skiing 7 December 3rd 03 03:43 AM
Modifying a Thule box pheski Nordic Skiing 2 July 28th 03 03:17 PM