mouse turd boots / mary

Old January 24th 05, 05:37 PM
pigo

Default mouse turd boots / mary

I have an industrial quality high temp. steamer that would clean
them. My
experience with these machines leads me to believe that one of those
infomercial or home depot $100 models might be worth looking into.

My machines were 60# pressure and 300 F (and $800-$1200) and could
clean
almost anything. Now I don't know about these cheaper ones except to
say
that my dad bought one of the cheap ones and it sprayed as much water
as
steam so he got the expensive one and hense me into the biz of
selling them
in Utah.

But when you cover the steam delivery point with a towel and slow it
down
you get a damn hot, moist towel that I can clean matteresses,
pillows,
carpet, bathtubs, sinks, all kinds of different things. Maybe you
know
someone with one you can borrow?

Or you could just spray some disenfectant on them and hope for the
best!

pigo

Old January 24th 05, 05:49 PM
lal_truckee

pigo wrote:

Or you could just spray some disenfectant on them and hope for the
best!

Heh! I'd just pull my feet out of my regular boots long about noon and
push them into the new boots for the rest of the afternoon. I figure the
stink would kill anything alive in there, better than any disinfectant.

What's a few mouse turds? Hanta Hotels, that's all. Now if a whole rat
died and rotted inside, maybe you've got a problem.

(BTW cats don't touch the rats up here - the rats are smarter, and can
survive the weather; I've had cat's freeze to death after taking shelter
in my under-house work area. Don't even notice them until things warm up
in the Spring.)

Old January 24th 05, 08:45 PM
Mary Malmros

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. After trying every possible address
that I could think of at Lange and Dynastar's nominal internet presence,
and getting a bounce for every one -- even the "postmaster" account that
was sending me the bounce messages -- I called my retailer and explained
the situation. He was of the opinion that they're seeds and not mouse
turds, and that they were indeed put there by a rodent, as a food stash.
I have to confess, I didn't dissect the damned things, so he could be
right, particularly as the boots still smell like new boots and not like
mouse-pee-and-poop. He said that it ought to be fine to wash the liners
in a front-loader (which I have) using a no-additive powdered soap like
Ivory, and then dry them with a boot dryer. Ideally, I'd still like an
authoritative answer from Lange, but I don't think that's going to
happen, so I think I'll try the Ivory. And, hey, maybe I'm onto
something as a way of cleaning plain ol' stinky liners. I wouldn't want
to do it on a regular basis, but maybe once a year or so?

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 24th 05, 08:54 PM
VtSkier

Mary Malmros wrote:
[...]

If it doesn't smell like mouse pee, you are
in luck. Unlike other animals who make nests,
mice (and other rodents) DO **** (and pee)
where they eat. If this had happened, it would
be VERY evident. I think the mild soap wash
won't hurt. You liners are certainly made to
be wet once in a while.

VtSkier

Old January 27th 05, 08:55 PM
Ruffus Corncobb

Hi Mary

Just though I would mention this. This Fall I helped a friend clean out a
hay loft that was full of little rodent nests. I was wearing a pair of high
cut sneakers and by the end of the day I had a raging case of athletes foot.
if those liners have been soiled I would give them a good soak in a vinegar
and water solution to help kill any bacteria then wash them.

Old January 28th 05, 01:01 AM
Mary Malmros

Final report: washed the liners in my front loader on the regular cycle,
cold water, and Ivory powdered detergent. They seem to have come out of
it just fine. Front loaders are da BOMB.

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all!