Takin' it easy at Loveland

Old January 23rd 05, 04:59 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default Takin' it easy at Loveland

Teamski had an afternoon race at Loveland today, so I finally visited this
resort.

You know, I barely scratched the surface of the place, but I had a lot of fun.

The race was at the Valley; I think it was Switchback. Eric and I met up with
friends to sideslip the course in the morning. The female friend hasn't been
skiing all that long, while the male friend has a lot of experience but was
knocked out by a cold.

Well, no fresh snow in ... um ... I can't count that high days around here, so
we all took it pretty easy. We shuttled over to the Basin and, riding up the
lift, saw a nice little blue mogul run. The moguls were just barely there,
visible but not large, and nicely formed. Perfect for boosting my confidence
and working on building some speed in the bumps. I worked on that course
until I had to head back for the race. Just wish I could find those perfect
bumps more often.

Skiing with some different people was really refreshing. The sky was blue,
the sun was shining, and we all were just in the mood to ski some easy runs,
goof around a bit, and work on our form. Usually, I get caught in the ego
trap of "having" to go ski tough stuff. I enjoy it, but there's something to
be said for comfortable terrain and just taking it easy.

The race ... well, it was long, and kind of slick. I tried to edge but
apparently some drunk badgers stole my edges between my last Basin run the
race. It couldn't possibly be my technique ... *koff* ....

I did find out that a motivated individual can race her first run, speed back
to the lodge, use the restroom, and make it back up the lift in plenty of time
for her second run.

One major big deal item: my boots didn't hurt my feet *all* day. I never took
them off, though I did loosen them for the shuttle ride and lunch. No cramps,
no nuthin ... until the very last run. All of a sudden, the joint below my
pinky toe felt super-abused, and my "ring-finger" toe on the same foot was
numb. Okay, the numbness had been building up for a while, I guess. I skied
back with the certainty that my foot was a huge purple mass, but as it turns
out the foot looked fine. It's been long enough; I'm going to have to get
that boot pushed out a bit, and it probably wouldn't hurt to get a metatarsal
pad for the numb toe. IIRC that's what they did in my old boots.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 23rd 05, 03:00 PM
Mary Malmros

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I did find out that a motivated individual can race her first run, speed back
to the lodge, use the restroom, and make it back up the lift in plenty of time
for her second run.

At Loveland Valley, yeah. That's why it's a good race venue.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 23rd 05, 03:34 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-23, Mary Malmros penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I did find out that a motivated individual can race her first run, speed
back to the lodge, use the restroom, and make it back up the lift in plenty
of time for her second run.

At Loveland Valley, yeah. That's why it's a good race venue.

*nod* I would not have been able to do it for the race courses at Copper or
Steamboat.

I also learned that drinking an entire bottle of Gatorade right before the
race wasn't the best idea for me personally ... *laugh*

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 24th 05, 11:25 PM
Sam Seiber

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Well, no fresh snow in ... um ... I can't count that high days around here, so
we all took it pretty easy. We shuttled over to the Basin and, riding up the
lift, saw a nice little blue mogul run. The moguls were just barely there,
visible but not large, and nicely formed. Perfect for boosting my confidence
and working on building some speed in the bumps. I worked on that course
until I had to head back for the race. Just wish I could find those perfect
bumps more often.

Hmmm, sounds like you mean Fire Cut, right under chair two, just past
the midway
reload. Normally it is a bit more bumpy. Or half bumpy, half groomed.
Nice
starter bumps right now.

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber

Old January 24th 05, 11:44 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-24, Sam Seiber penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
up the lift, saw a nice little blue mogul run. The moguls were just barely
there, visible but not large, and nicely formed. Perfect for boosting my
confidence and working on building some speed in the bumps. I worked on
that course until I had to head back for the race. Just wish I could find
those perfect bumps more often.

Hmmm, sounds like you mean Fire Cut, right under chair two, just past the
midway reload. Normally it is a bit more bumpy. Or half bumpy, half
groomed. Nice starter bumps right now.

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber

Yup, that's the one. As you say, nice starter bumps. I think I would make a
lot of progress on bumps if I could find runs of that variety more often. Too
often, I'm trying to work on technique in bumps that are quite a challenge for
me.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 25th 05, 05:09 AM
ant

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Yup, that's the one. As you say, nice starter bumps. I think I would
make a
lot of progress on bumps if I could find runs of that variety more often.
Too
often, I'm trying to work on technique in bumps that are quite a challenge
for
me.

That's a real problem, with all the grooming. I really wish they'd let the
sides of some green runs bump up, so people could start to experience bumps
early, on easy terrain. It's just no good trying to learn bumps on steep
terrain, there are too many challenges all at once. I am sure that if people
couuld start playing with them early, they'd be more comfortable with them.
Heck, I'd go further, and actually build some nice low round ones on green
runs.

ant

Old January 27th 05, 10:09 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-25, ant penned:

That's a real problem, with all the grooming. I really wish they'd let the
sides of some green runs bump up, so people could start to experience bumps
early, on easy terrain. It's just no good trying to learn bumps on steep
terrain, there are too many challenges all at once. I am sure that if people
couuld start playing with them early, they'd be more comfortable with them.
Heck, I'd go further, and actually build some nice low round ones on green
runs.

The problem I've seen is that bumps on blues are really ugly. I guess that's
because inexperienced skiers are creating them? Moguls on gentle blue slopes
certainly exist, but they're typically pretty ugly.

But, if it's possible, yes, I'd love to see an introduction to bumps from the
early stages of skiing.

--
monique
Longmont, CO