Keski 25k Classic. View from the back.

Old February 20th 04, 11:29 AM
Terje Mathisen

Default Keski 25k Classic. View from the back.

Ken Roberts wrote:

Parham wrote

For me, the overall experience and the terrain choose
the skiing technique rather than the other way round...

For a 15 km tour, I can agree. But when it's 120-140 km of skiing, then the
choice of technique matters a lot to me.

Because skating is just more fun, and I enjoy skating all year long. I will
easily do more km (and days?) in road skate tours than snow skating this
year. For ski tour with more than 100 km of classic striding, I'd have to
have a separate training program just to get ready for it. So before I do
that, I need to ask what are the special benefits of CSM.

Also I have to justify 8 hours of driving time and wear-and-tear on my
car -- twice. For that amount of transportation, I have some
alternatives -- since Sharon and I live only 15 minutes from a major
international airport:

(A) fly non-stop to Geneva, arrive 9am on Saturday morning, hire a car,
drive an hour into the Jura mountains, and skate 30 km that afternoon. Next
day the entire Transjurasienne course, like 70 km of _skating_. Next day
drive south to the Alps

(B) fly to Reno and ski some of the big tours in the Lake Tahoe area,
including the Royal Gorge perimeter tour that Mark just told us about. Time
my trip to hit one of the special events (Kirkwood - Echo Summit?). Then
the great Sierra backcountry tours

(C) fly to Oslo. True, that's more than 8 hours transportation time. But
it's Norway -- maybe there's _some_ skating?

The 50 K loop (3 x 16.7) is always in perfect conditions for skating,
except that on alterante years they'll set classic tracks a few days
before the actual race.

_Many_ other trails (including most lighted trails) are wide enough that
you'll have a classic track on each side, plus room enough for skating
in the middle.

Terje

--
-
Old February 20th 04, 11:34 AM
Terje Mathisen

Default Waxing for Ski-O (Was: Keski 25k Classic. View from the back.)

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Pete Hickey wrote:

The insanity of getting up to get on a bus at something like 4:30 AM.

Getting up? That's barely enough time to finish waxing! :-)

Re waxing: I did my first Ski-O race in many years on tuesday, in the
form of a Night-Ski-O near Sognsvann.

I had some silver universal klister on, but the icy/glazed tracks very
quickly reduced that to a slightly draggy double-pole/skate evening instead.

For the next two events I'll probably try to skip the grip wax.

However, it was surprisingly fun to ski around with a chest map holder
again. :-)

terje

--
-
Old February 23rd 04, 07:31 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Eddy Rapid wrote:

... lots of
seriously competitive skiers supposedly do both techniques for training,
even if they specialize in one for racing. I do most of my off-snow
training, skate skiing on roller skis (and bike commuting to work, with some
paddling thrown in.) This year I trained about 520 kms on snow before the
CSM. Out of that about 250 kms was skate skiing, because the conditions in
Ottawa before the New Year were rather poor for classic, and I enjoy doing
both anyway. I would recommend doing the last 200 kms or so classic, but
that'll just keep you multi-talented :-)

There was a study posted some years ago, I think through Ralph Thornton
(then of WI). It recounts how the Soviet team had a debate about the
best way to train and to resolve it decided to divide the group, so that
half trained 2/3 skate while the other half trained 2/3 classic. The
classic half, including Smirnov, won the medals. Just thinking about
the pacing, the ebbs and flows of classic intensity tend to be more
linear aerobically while skating is more highs and lows. The former
gives more endurance and sustained medium to high intensity practice,
while the latter trains more quick power but is also more draining
overall.

Gene
Old February 23rd 04, 11:56 PM
Eddy Rapid

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
Just thinking about
the pacing, the ebbs and flows of classic intensity tend to be more
linear aerobically while skating is more highs and lows. The former
gives more endurance and sustained medium to high intensity practice,
while the latter trains more quick power but is also more draining
overall.

Your thinking seems about right to me. I'll try to check this out with my
HR monitor by covering the same kind of loop alternating techniques, going
as hard as I can. I wonder, then, whether there's an optimal classic-skate
training sequence as in early season training doing classic, in terms of
core strength, and later, sprint and interval, training doing skating.

Parham.

Old March 4th 04, 08:15 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

I haven't figured out optimal sequences, but would assume that lower key
volume is more easily obtained with classical. For most of us,
conditions help determine this, since early snows tend to support
striding, even if it's only trudging around.

Gene