Keski 25k Classic. View from the back.

Old February 17th 04, 09:25 PM
Tim Dudley

Default Keski 25k Classic. View from the back.

I saw Beckie at the Sprints on Friday night and had a chance to talk with
her very briefly. She's quite remarkable - like John says, she's really
smiley, and was that way every time I saw her during the weekend. She's
very gracious with all of the attention she was getting, and was absolutely
thrilling little kids on Sunday after the race when she was signing
autographs in the gym. I am now officially a Big Fan.

Her skating is some of the best I've seen - smooth, powerful, controlled,
fast, and her race tactics were bang on, even on a 2-lap 300 meter (if that)
loop. She made a nice pass for the lead the second time through the only
sharp turn in the course, and just cruised away after that.

Tim

on 16/2/04 22:56, John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

snip...

What else? I saw Beckie Scott but missed seeing her skiing. She is
really tan and really smiley and really fit looking. A winning
combination. And I finally know my way around inside the CEGEP which
is comforting.

Old February 18th 04, 01:34 AM
Pete Hickey

"Ken Roberts" wrote in message
Sharon and I went up north to a different section, Lac
Phillippe. Thanks to Pete's careful route advice, I was able to make a
backcountry connection to the main network of groomed trails used in the
race. I skied the from parking area P19 to the McKinstry cabin and the #1
trail that joins to Fortune Parkway (with the help of several skiers who
broke trail on previous days of the weekend).

In article ,
Eddy Rapid wrote:

On your tour, did you go over the edge of Lusk lake and climb up to #1, and
turn left for McKinstry? If so, you've done one of the nicest "back country"
routes in the Gats (sometimes known as the "Northwest Passage".).

The old #10... A beautiful, peaceful route. Nothing like it
in the whole park.

Why not join us for the real Big Tour the weekend before the Keski?

We gotta work on Ken. I know he would enjoy the Marathon. I think
it's more his style. He will do the whole thing, Sharron will do
as much as she wants.

--

"It's a sad day for american capitalism when a man
can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park."
Old February 18th 04, 02:09 AM
Ken Roberts

Yes that was the start and finish of my backcountry excursion.

On your tour, did you go over the edge of Lusk lake
and climb up to #1, and turn left for McKinstry?

I had a lot of help. Pete Hickey actually brought an old Gatineau Park map
with him to dinner the night before, and showed me the old #10 trail on it.
Actually I asked him about a possible interconnect two years ago, and he
told me then about old #10 -- but I had trouble finding the trail near Lusk
Lake that year -- and didn't want to commit to a route-finding
trail-breaking business with the gear I'd brought -- so instead I just had a
pleasant time exploring closer in to P19.

This time I had #10 sketched onto my Park map, and a compass, and kicker
skins for steep trail-breaking. But I didn't need those this time because
the trail was already broken in by previous parties.

Why not join us for the real Big Tour the
weekend before the Keski?

Sounds interesting -- but does it include much _skating_ ?

My route from P19 to McKinstry had lots of skating. I was touring on a high
peak in the Adirondacks today and I did lots of skating. 90 km from Salen
to Mora is a great concept, but for sure I'm going to choose a day when I
can _skate_ it.

A key reason I chose the Keskinada Loppet this year instead of the Tug Hill
Tourathon or the Craftsbury
Marathon is because Keskinada has good skating.

It's not that I refuse to do any tours that are less than half skating, but
I want to know what are the compensating advantages.

Ken

Old February 18th 04, 03:48 AM
Eddy Rapid

"Ken Roberts" wrote
Yes that was the start and finish of my backcountry excursion.

On your tour, did you go over the edge of Lusk lake
and climb up to #1, and turn left for McKinstry?

Great stuff.

Why not join us for the real Big Tour the
weekend before the Keski?

Sounds interesting -- but does it include much _skating_ ?

It's a classic track set event for the most part, with about 20% opportunity
of skating over lakes and such.

For me, the overall experience and the terrain choose the skiing technique
rather than the other way round...

Parham.

Old February 18th 04, 04:02 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Ken Roberts wrote:

90 km from Salen
to Mora is a great concept, but for sure I'm going to choose a day when I
can _skate_ it.

It's not that I refuse to do any tours that are less than half skating, but
I want to know what are the compensating advantages.

Net elevation loss
Blueberry soup
Just being there!

:-)

I'm currently scheming how to get back there to do it again. My inlaws
are much cooler than Jay Tegeder's. (They ski.) Am hoping my wife will
go for it if we invite her parents along. Her dad would love to ski the
Vasa.

-Mitch

Old February 18th 04, 02:12 PM
Ken Roberts

Parham wrote
For me, the overall experience and the terrain choose
the skiing technique rather than the other way round...

For a 15 km tour, I can agree. But when it's 120-140 km of skiing, then the
choice of technique matters a lot to me.

Because skating is just more fun, and I enjoy skating all year long. I will
easily do more km (and days?) in road skate tours than snow skating this
year. For ski tour with more than 100 km of classic striding, I'd have to
have a separate training program just to get ready for it. So before I do
that, I need to ask what are the special benefits of CSM.

Also I have to justify 8 hours of driving time and wear-and-tear on my
car -- twice. For that amount of transportation, I have some
alternatives -- since Sharon and I live only 15 minutes from a major
international airport:

(A) fly non-stop to Geneva, arrive 9am on Saturday morning, hire a car,
drive an hour into the Jura mountains, and skate 30 km that afternoon. Next
day the entire Transjurasienne course, like 70 km of _skating_. Next day
drive south to the Alps

(B) fly to Reno and ski some of the big tours in the Lake Tahoe area,
including the Royal Gorge perimeter tour that Mark just told us about. Time
my trip to hit one of the special events (Kirkwood - Echo Summit?). Then
the great Sierra backcountry tours

(C) fly to Oslo. True, that's more than 8 hours transportation time. But
it's Norway -- maybe there's _some_ skating?

Just trying to evaluate my alternatives.

Ken

Old February 18th 04, 02:51 PM
Eddy Rapid

"Ken Roberts" wrote in message:
Parham wrote
For me, the overall experience and the terrain choose
the skiing technique rather than the other way round...

For a 15 km tour, I can agree. But when it's 120-140 km of skiing, then

the
choice of technique matters a lot to me.

Because skating is just more fun, and I enjoy skating all year long. I

will
easily do more km (and days?) in road skate tours than snow skating this
year. For ski tour with more than 100 km of classic striding, I'd have to
have a separate training program just to get ready for it. So before I do
that, I need to ask what are the special benefits of CSM.

Ken, for one thing you hardly need a special program for the CSM unless you
are trying to break some kind of record, or may be even if you do -- lots of
seriously competitive skiers supposedly do both techniques for training,
even if they specialize in one for racing. I do most of my off-snow
training, skate skiing on roller skis (and bike commuting to work, with some
paddling thrown in.) This year I trained about 520 kms on snow before the
CSM. Out of that about 250 kms was skate skiing, because the conditions in
Ottawa before the New Year were rather poor for classic, and I enjoy doing
both anyway. I would recommend doing the last 200 kms or so classic, but
that'll just keep you multi-talented :-)

I must admit the thought of driving up to Ottawa twice in 10 days is rather
daunting. My approach would likely be to take that week off and enjoy
Winterlude and the various things around here and in the Laurentians during
the week (e.g. telemarking at Tremblent.)

In terms of special benefits, what can I say? It's beautiful terrain, skied
in friendly company, in an ultra-long-distance touring format, and is well
supported in terms of safety and enjoyment. The distance is long enough that
if you do it, there is a feeling of unique accomplishment. Just talk to
people who've done both the Keski and the CSM and see what their take is--
especially if they are not super competitive racers. Actually, this year we
had at least 4 ex Canadian national ski team racers doing the CSM for
enjoyment.

Also, as a family event, different members of the family can participate at
their own level. My wife who does not care for the long distances, has often
toured 2-3 sections each day and enjoyed it thoroughly. I may be touring
next year myself, so that I can do a section with my little daughter.

In the end though, I would say that you need to enjoy classic skiing for the
CSM to be worthwhile.

Parham.

Old February 18th 04, 06:56 PM
Pete Hickey

In article ,
Ken Roberts wrote:

So before I do
that, I need to ask what are the special benefits of CSM.

The atmosphere. The carnival-like mood of everyone skiing together,
but not racing against each other.

The varied terrain. Forests, skiing over farmers fields, skiing
through a city... oh you did that.

The shuttles and stuff, makes you pretty much car-free. You and
Sharon can each ski at your own pace/distance, and shuttles bring
you together afterwards.

The insanity of getting up to get on a bus at something like 4:30 AM.

BTW... damn you Ken... your ears must have been contagious. I
froze the bottom of my ears this morning on my commute.. and
it wasn't that cold, either.. only -19C. I must have caught
it from you, although I didn't get it as bad as you did..

Old February 19th 04, 03:03 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Pete Hickey wrote:

The insanity of getting up to get on a bus at something like 4:30 AM.

Getting up? That's barely enough time to finish waxing! :-)

-Mitch

Old February 19th 04, 12:57 PM
Pete Hickey

In article rnell.edu,
Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Pete Hickey wrote:

The insanity of getting up to get on a bus at something like 4:30 AM.

Getting up? That's barely enough time to finish waxing! :-)

Opps... language ambiguity...

getting up to get on a bus which starts leaving at 4:30 AM.