New DIN Settings

Old January 16th 05, 01:55 PM
Ivan Rafn

Default New DIN Settings

Please be aware of new DIN/Bindings Settings proposed by french scientists;
Medicin de Montagne.

The new settings has the official name of: "Normes Afnor FD S 52-748", and
has the goal of lowering knee and ligaments injuries, as oppposed to the old
ISO normes, which had the goal of lowering bone fractures.

Test for the past 3 year has shown a decrease in knee injuries of 38%, and
of ligament injuries of 26%

Danish ski federation is pushing the new norm in Denmark.

http://www.bernard-sport.be/FixationAfnor.html#tableau

Old January 17th 05, 08:33 AM
Ace

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:55:21 +0100, "Ivan Rafn"
wrote:

Please be aware of new DIN/Bindings Settings proposed by french scientists;
Medicin de Montagne.

http://www.bernard-sport.be/FixationAfnor.html#tableau

Intersting. There were a couple of methods posted on here recently, at
least one of which suggested a much higher setting than I normally
use. This one seems about right, depending on whether I'm being a "Bon
skieur, ski d'attaque sur tous terrains" or a "Très fort skieur sur
terrains engagés" with settings of 8 and 9.5 respectively, which
pretty much match what I'd normally use.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 17th 05, 03:43 PM

Ivan Rafn wrote:
Danish ski federation is pushing the new norm in Denmark.

How many ski resorts are there in Denmark?

Adrian

Old January 17th 05, 07:00 PM
Colin Irvine

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:33:08 +0100, Ace squeezed
out the following:

wrote:

Please be aware of new DIN/Bindings Settings proposed by french scientists;
Medicin de Montagne.

http://www.bernard-sport.be/FixationAfnor.html#tableau

Intersting. There were a couple of methods posted on here recently, at
least one of which suggested a much higher setting than I normally
use. This one seems about right, depending on whether I'm being a "Bon
skieur, ski d'attaque sur tous terrains" or a "Très fort skieur sur
terrains engagés" with settings of 8 and 9.5 respectively, which
pretty much match what I'd normally use.

I'm puzzled by the way the best skiers tend to have their bindings set
really high. I would have thought they of all people would be letting
the skis do all the work and could therefore get away with the lowest
settings.

--
Colin Irvine
Old January 17th 05, 08:45 PM
Steve Haigh

wrote:

Please be aware of new DIN/Bindings Settings proposed by french scientists;
Medicin de Montagne.

http://www.bernard-sport.be/FixationAfnor.html#tableau

Intersting. There were a couple of methods posted on here recently, at
least one of which suggested a much higher setting than I normally
use. This one seems about right, depending on whether I'm being a "Bon
skieur, ski d'attaque sur tous terrains" or a "Très fort skieur sur
terrains engagés" with settings of 8 and 9.5 respectively, which
pretty much match what I'd normally use.

I'm puzzled by the way the best skiers tend to have their bindings set
really high. I would have thought they of all people would be letting
the skis do all the work and could therefore get away with the lowest
settings.

It's a kind of yes and no thing... yes, they could ski with lower
settings and in theory not release. In practise the better you are the
more you will push yourself. In my case I crank the bindings up a bit
(nothing stupid, only on 8 1/2) because I know that on occasison I will
take a hard landing in the bumps or end up trying to steer a turn in
some crud. In the past bindings have released on me in these situations.
The reason I don't go higher is because I don't ski (or train) enough to
have the leg strength to protect my knees - if I skied more I would have
them higher I think. I certainly used to ski with them a lot higher, I
wasn't a better skier but my legs were a lot stronger after a few full
seasons of skiing.
Old January 17th 05, 09:41 PM
Greg Hilton

Steve Haigh wrote in
:

wrote:

Please be aware of new DIN/Bindings Settings proposed by french
scientists; Medicin de Montagne.

http://www.bernard-sport.be/FixationAfnor.html#tableau

Intersting. There were a couple of methods posted on here recently,
at least one of which suggested a much higher setting than I normally
use. This one seems about right, depending on whether I'm being a
"Bon skieur, ski d'attaque sur tous terrains" or a "Très fort skieur
sur terrains engagés" with settings of 8 and 9.5 respectively, which
pretty much match what I'd normally use.

I'm puzzled by the way the best skiers tend to have their bindings
set really high. I would have thought they of all people would be
letting the skis do all the work and could therefore get away with
the lowest settings.

It all depends what you do.

Skiing powder or moguls and the ski could release when you are fine
based on the "standard" settings, this IMHO is as bad as them not
releasing.

When I had my own skis it was trial and error. They got set by the shop,
I had a hard day or so with them pre-releasing, then whenever they did
it I turned them up half a notch until they stopped doing it!

Jumping cliffs etc and you need them not to come off even when the
binding probably thinks they should!

cheers,

Greg
Old January 17th 05, 09:55 PM
Steve Haigh

Greg Hilton wrote:

It all depends what you do.

Skiing powder or moguls and the ski could release when you are fine
based on the "standard" settings, this IMHO is as bad as them not
releasing.

True. It is a case of balancing the risks - if you are skiing fast on
steep terrain it is probably more dangerous to loose a ski than it is
for you to fall and the ski not release. This is assumes you have pretty
strong and legs and flexible joints, and there's no hard and fast rule.
Sadly plenty of good skiers get injured when the ski doesn't release in
time, and I'm sure there are injuries caused by skis pre-releasing.

Beginners and intermediates are best advised to take the shops' and
manufacturers' advice, more expereinced (or foolhardy) skiers will
probably have their own view based on first hand experience.

There's a brilliant sequence on the 80s ski video "Blizzard of Ahs"
where Scott Schmidt takes a hugh tumble but his skis stay on and he
eventually skis out of it all. His goggles were full of snow and he
crashed again 2 turns later, but it was a good attempt. Sad git that I
am I might have to go and put that on now to get me in the mood for this
weekend...

Old January 19th 05, 10:39 AM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Greg Hilton :
It all depends what you do.

Skiing powder or moguls and the ski could release when you are fine
based on the "standard" settings, this IMHO is as bad as them not
releasing.

I haven't messed with my binding settings, but they appear to be set to
a surprisingly low 4. Maybe that's because of the shop's equipment (don't
they go by what their strain machines tell them, rather than the value
given in the window on the binding?).

Anyway, during our 15 days' skiing over Christmas and the new year, I
skied plenty of moguls and powder off-piste. Granted, I don't ski them
aggressively, but I never had a ski release when I didn't want it to.

They did, however, release when I did want them to (I'm really bad in
poor light, and took a few tumbles in what would normally be the
easiest of places).

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old January 19th 05, 10:54 AM
Paul Schofield

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
I haven't messed with my binding settings, but they appear to be set to
a surprisingly low 4. Maybe that's because of the shop's equipment (don't
they go by what their strain machines tell them, rather than the value
given in the window on the binding?).

So what does the chart ( http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/din.html ) say you
should be?

--