-15 F and wind

Old February 8th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jay W

Default -15 F and wind

Is it crazy to race at -15 F and 10 mph winds? I've raced at -5 to -7F
with some wind, and that was pretty awful. I remember missing a hand
up and having the liquid on my arm freeze. I couldn't figure out why
my arm was tight. On a long downhill, the sweat on my back froze.

My main concern is dressing warm enough but not too much so you sweat
to death. But other concerns are if any equipment breaks and drying
out the lungs. At these temps, you have about 3 min of inactivity
before the body chills pretty seriously.

Jay
Old February 8th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

drying
out the lungs.

wear a face mask or a thick scarf across your mouth.

Also, see the ongoing asthma discussion.

You will probably win the race at any rate. Either because you will
destroy everyone, or nobody will show up
Old February 9th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Mitch

On Feb 8, 6:53 pm, Jay W wrote:
Is it crazy to race at -15 F and 10 mph winds?

Isn't this traditional Keskinada weather?

-Mitch
Old February 9th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 8, 3:53*pm, Jay W wrote:
Is it crazy to race at -15 F and 10 mph winds? I've raced at -5 to -7F
with some wind, and that was pretty awful. I remember missing a hand
up and having the liquid on my arm freeze. I couldn't figure out why
my arm was tight. On a long downhill, the sweat on my back froze.

My main concern is dressing warm enough but not too much so you sweat
to death. But other concerns are if any equipment breaks and drying
out the lungs. At these temps, you have about 3 min of inactivity
before the body chills pretty seriously.

Jay

The Canadian Berkie website reports that this weekends race is cancled
because of weather. It sounds like part of the concern is the race
volunteers and spectators standing around in the cold. Those folks
are subjected to more than 3 min of inactivity.

http://www.canadianbirkie.com/

Edgar
Old February 9th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dware

I have never skied in temps this cold. As I sit in my hotel in Mora,
I am wondering exactly what to wear tomorrow? Looking for advice...

Thanks,

dave

Old February 10th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jay W

On Feb 9, 5:31*pm, dware wrote:
I have never skied in temps this cold. *As I sit in my hotel in Mora,
I am wondering exactly what to wear tomorrow? *Looking for advice...

Yeah, no ****.

I'm basically going to go with 2.5 extra layers (double up polypro and
a vest, extra layer on the legs) plus face coverings including
googles. Is that the right dress? Hah, who knows. My wife picked up a
"duster" at the local Good Will. I may ski in that until the first
food stop. (Grin, damn that'd be funny, and the volunteers would
probably use it.)

I keep looking for a cancellation. If I show, it's mainly for points.

Jay
Old February 10th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

It's not as cold as that here today but getting close. I had a great
1.5 hours ski at ZERO F and 20mph wind.

The only thing I noticed was wind burning the cheeks, so I smeared
vaseline on them and that helped for a half hour then they stung a bit
again.

It seemed like the skiing motor kept me as warm as ever. I skied with
just an extra dense-fleece vest. I had longjohns on under my usual
insulated/thick pants---but I don't think I needed them.

I used my usual mid-weight gloves at first---fingers wouldn't warm up.
I switched to heavy gloves and got warm after 20 minutes. Then
switched back to midweights and they were fine the rest of the time. I
stopped and rewaxed without gloves a couple times. Probably 3 minutes
stopping would've been max but they were fine for brief stop.

My conclusion was that except for wind on skin that the body motor
kept things almost the same as always. One thin layer extra was all I
needed.

Oh, I did start out with heavier outer layer but that got too hot
after 20 minutes---unbuttoned, then discarded after 40 minutes. I was
a bit cool at first due to SWEAT moisture under the dang heavy top but
that mellowed out.

Same double socks for touring as always. No overboot.

Maybe for ZERO one just wants to warm up well with whatever extra
layers you like then do the event with an extra layer and skin
protection? That's what I'd suggest. But for FIFTEEN BELOW? YIKES!

Still, I see so many folks at the start of "cooler" events---even like
10F---looking like eskimo mummies. Seems like overkill.

It reminds me of how on the DALMAC Michigan bike tour in summer at 70F
you can see riders with longsleeves and tights on. I would be
roasting. It's not like they're oriented to hot and I'm oriented to
cold. I don't mind 95F either. I don't know what kind of body
themostats all these folks have---something seems skewed.

--JP
Old February 12th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

It was -24C (-11F) with a -40C (-40F) windchill at the Manitoba
Provincial Championships in Winnipeg on Saturday. We survived,
although some of the volunteers suffered.

http://tinyurl.com/2xq9d9
http://www.ccski.mb.ca/rr_2008_Provi...mpionships.htm

Kevin Miller
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Old February 12th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jay W

Well, it wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be. We were with the
wind, and that made all the difference. I got a little spot of frost-
bite on my neck, but that's about it. By looking at the pictures, I'm
sure some had problems. (I saw one guy without face protection or
glasses.) I didn't hear anyone bitch about the weather after the race
or question running the race. It was just like a normal Mora.

Jay

wind it up lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 1 May 23rd 06 04:48 PM
Wind powered turbines in the forest Taywood Nordic Skiing 1 September 8th 03 08:36 AM