Racing & Asthma

Old February 5th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Wily Coyote

Default Racing & Asthma

After crossing the finish line at my last race (30k skate), I collapsed onto
the snow and gasped for air for what seemed like forever (normally, I can
recover in just a minute or two) It was the first time I can recall having
the feeling of not being able to gain control over my breathing. It was
somewhat frightening. I would guess this is what people with asthma
experience.

My Dr. did diagnose me, some time ago, with EIB (Exercise Induced
Bronchiospasm), but up until this point, I never considered using an inhaler
before a race. Anyone else in the group struggle with asthma or EIA/EIB?

-Jeff

Old February 5th 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Wily Coyote wrote:
After crossing the finish line at my last race (30k skate), I collapsed onto
the snow and gasped for air for what seemed like forever (normally, I can
recover in just a minute or two) It was the first time I can recall having
the feeling of not being able to gain control over my breathing. It was
somewhat frightening. I would guess this is what people with asthma
experience.

Yep.

My Dr. did diagnose me, some time ago, with EIB (Exercise Induced
Bronchiospasm), but up until this point, I never considered using an inhaler
before a race. Anyone else in the group struggle with asthma or EIA/EIB?

Never while skiing, but I don't stress myself that hard ever in wintertime.

The only times I have really experienced this has been after running the
~5 min "Lille Besserud" leg of the spring-time 15-person
Holmenkollstafetten relay.

This leg is the steepest uphill of the entire relay (from Bislett
stadium in downtown Oslo, (almost) up to Holmenkollen and down again.

Anyway, after running that leg in cold weather (sleet/snow), I have been
coughing and gasping for a long time afterwards, with the cough part
lasting until the day after.

(Yes, I have once been diagnosed with stress-induced asthma, but never
taken any medications.)

Terje

--
-
Old February 5th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob

Wily Coyote wrote:
After crossing the finish line at my last race (30k skate), I collapsed onto
the snow and gasped for air for what seemed like forever (normally, I can
recover in just a minute or two) It was the first time I can recall having
the feeling of not being able to gain control over my breathing. It was
somewhat frightening. I would guess this is what people with asthma
experience.

My Dr. did diagnose me, some time ago, with EIB (Exercise Induced
Bronchiospasm), but up until this point, I never considered using an inhaler
before a race. Anyone else in the group struggle with asthma or EIA/EIB?

Hi Jeff,
A few years ago - after I started trying to get fit, but before I
started racing - I was diagnosed w/ EIA and got an inhalor Rx
(Perbuterol, IIRC). For a year or so, I used that about a half hour
before any aerobic workout or race (it's much more effective if you use
it *before* than during or after the onset of congestion). Then, at some
point I forgot to use it and discovered I didn't need it anymore. I
still keep it in my equipment bag, but the Rx has long expired...

YMMV,
Bob
Old February 5th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 21:34:19 -0700, "Wily Coyote"
wrote:

After crossing the finish line at my last race (30k skate), I collapsed onto
the snow and gasped for air for what seemed like forever (normally, I can
recover in just a minute or two) It was the first time I can recall having
the feeling of not being able to gain control over my breathing. It was
somewhat frightening. I would guess this is what people with asthma
experience.

My Dr. did diagnose me, some time ago, with EIB (Exercise Induced
Bronchiospasm), but up until this point, I never considered using an inhaler
before a race. Anyone else in the group struggle with asthma or EIA/EIB?

No experience myself, but a friend who was not aware she had asthma
had a frightening attack at a bike race -- she believes she would have
died without the help of paramedics. The upshot: asthma can be
deadly. Get it checked out and perhaps carry an inhaler if the doctor
thinks that's appropriate.
Old February 6th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Wily Coyote

"Bob" wrote in message
Wily Coyote wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Terje & Bob. I did fill the Rx for an inhaler (Albuterol), sometime
last summer, but have only tried using it once (before a dryland session or
a bike ride). I don't recall if it made that much difference. After this
recent post-race episode, though, I'm going to give it another try.

Bob, by the way, someone recently told me that the inhaler medication really
goes downhill (so to speak) at some point not too long after the expiration
date. I'm not a pharmacist, but you might check with your doctor to see if
it's still even worth carrying the old meds around.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Old February 6th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob

Wily Coyote wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
Wily Coyote wrote:
[...]

yup, I'm sure the inhaler is dead by now. Since I've had no symptoms in
years, it doesn't seem to matter. I'll throw it away the next time I see it.

Bob
Old February 6th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Steve Thatcher

On Feb 4, 10:34*pm, "Wily Coyote" wrote:
After crossing the finish line at my last race (30k skate), I collapsed onto
the snow and gasped for air for what seemed like forever (normally, I can
recover in just a minute or two) *It was the first time I can recall having
the feeling of not being able to gain control over my breathing. *It was
somewhat frightening. *I would guess this is what people with asthma
experience.

My Dr. did diagnose me, some time ago, with EIB (Exercise Induced
Bronchiospasm), but up until this point, I never considered using an inhaler
before a race. *Anyone else in the group struggle with asthma or EIA/EIB?

-Jeff

One of the instructors (Ed Corazalla) in my ski club (Ride and Glide)
is an expert on EIB. Read his description on our Forum at the
following link and add to the discussion if you like.
http://rideandglide.forumotion.com/t...-asthma-t9.htm
I'm sure he'd be willing to expound more fully. He lectures on the
subject often
Old February 7th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Wily Coyote

"Steve Thatcher" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting. I followed the link at the bottom of the page to this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/he...in&oref=slogin

It seems that the dryness of the air is the real culprit. There was another
thread here on RSN recently that dealt with that, so perhaps I'll pursue
that angle. In mid winter, here in Colorado, the only time I can breathe
easily is while taking a shower.

Thanks for the info and the link!

Old February 7th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Feb 4, 11:34*pm, "Wily Coyote" wrote:

*Anyone else in the group struggle with asthma or EIA/EIB?

Yeah, me. I was diagnosed and have been under an allergy doc's care
since 1965. I won't bore you w/ the history, but have probably used
every medication on the planet. I remember always having an attack
(as a kid) during the 1st big snowball battle of the year - that cold,
dry air.

I'm totally undercontrol and have been for about 20 yrs now, rarely
using my inhalers. Over that time, I've raced bikes & skis at a very
high level w/ no EIA or asthma issues. I still keep a set of inhalers
in my car, kit bag, house, etc. and they get replaced once a year. I
agree w/ all the advice here and suggest you take it seriously - get
checked and use the inhaler proactively. There are "rebound" and lung
elasticity effects that you should discuss w/ your allergist, though.

One last thing - there does seem to be some "tolerance" to inhalers
that your body builds. A few times, I've noted my inhalers just do
not seem to be that effective; a switch to another seems like night &
day. A local HS racer (2x JO team) had the same situation recently -
abnormally poor performances that disappeared overnite w/ a simple
change in 'script.

Regards,
- Bob

Old February 8th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I've always had mild asthma (as I now realize) which progressed as I
was training more and more seriously (without muchof a training
program, just all out most of the time). The mild discomfort in my
chest after a big push gradually grew into full-blown uncontrolled
asthma after a series of all-out races at high altitude, followed by a
hard training summer (inspired by an elite Birkie wave placement),
followed by a pneumonia. Currently I can't exercise at all. I am on
max doses of steroids, two anti-inflammatory drugs, and bi-weekly
antibody injections which cost $500 each, plus, I sleep in a bubble
with a continous air filtration - just to be able to breathe. It took
me 2 years to accept that I must stop racing, and during these 2 years
I still remember winning a race or two.

Go on Google Scholar and type in "asthma cross country skiers". You
will find that XC skiers are the most prone to development of asthma
of all athletes due to breathing dry cold air which penetrates deeply
into the lungs and causes permanent inflammation. According to some
estimates, 50% of all elite Nordic skiers have some sort of asthma.
Their particular form of asthma responds poorly to inhaled steroids,
probably, due to the fact that the steroids can't reach deep enough
into the airways to alleviate the inflammation. If there is ever a
"FAQ" section for this newsgroup, I could write a whole "XC skiers
beware" article for it. Bottom line - too much of a good thing is not
good for you.

I would strongly recommend consulting with a doctor to come up with an
exercise program that would allow you to ski with asthma. They usually
recommend albuterol and chromolyn sodium before exercise. Put a face
mask on the list, too, to warm and humidify air that you breathe. May
also have to avoid skiing in very low temperatures (every birkie I've
done started at 10F).

Obviously, those who are susceptible to allergies etc are likely to
develop more serious asthma than others. I've always been sneezing in
the spring.

There is an excellent book "exercise induced asthma" - do an Amazon
search. It's a part of a lung pathology series. Very thorough,
although a bit technical, review. Explained many things to me.

I am not giving up on the hope to ski again. I am currently building a
prototype apparatus for air filtration and conditioning for racing
with asthma.