SLC in early December?

Old September 27th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DZN

Default SLC in early December?

Thinking of going to Park City or Deer Valley for a long weekend in early
December if there is likely to be snow. Is it generally safe to assume
there will be? Its a hell of a schlep from New York. So. I don't want to
do it unless the odds are favorable.

Old September 27th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

DZN wrote:

Thinking of going to Park City or Deer Valley for a long weekend in early
December if there is likely to be snow. Is it generally safe to assume
there will be? Its a hell of a schlep from New York. So. I don't want to
do it unless the odds are favorable.

I was there last year around the first weekend in December. Plenty of
skiing available, although some of the lower lying areas were in rather
poor shape. If you have your heart set on off-piste tree runs, you may
be disppointed. If you like to ski groomers, you'll probably be set.

I guess I should clarify that I spent 5 days around SLC, but only one
day at PC. The cottonwood canyons resorts, being 1000' or so higher in
elevation, were in better shape. I'd structure my visit around flexibility.

So, I've given you one data point, Dec 2005. You can research many more
data points at http://members.aol.com/crockeraf/ and decide for youself
what the probability is. (My take from these numbers is that it's
pretty good.)

//Walt

Old September 27th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Go to Colorado...More snow. Better snow. Hotter lift
attendant-bunnies. More better. More this. More that. Colorado.
Early season California is pretty much a sure thing too... So
yeah....CO or CA.

Old September 27th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Sam Seiber

Yabahoobs wrote:

Go to Colorado...More snow. Better snow. Hotter lift
attendant-bunnies. More better. More this. More that. Colorado.
Early season California is pretty much a sure thing too... So
yeah....CO or CA.

Ohh, no, not Colorado. Sux early December, except for......
Vail. Yes, Vail! That is the early December answer.
Vail is the best CO area in early December.

Sam "My Beloved is making some real nice snow right now" Seiber