Stance position

Old December 30th 03, 08:02 AM
Leon

Default Stance position

Hi, I ride hardboots (not steep angles) and a freeride board. When going
straight, after I pickup some speed, the rear of the board starts sliding
and does not track straight. It is fine when carving but when I want to go
straight I either have to go slow or keep carving turns left and right. Is
my stance too much forward?

Thanks,
Leon

Old December 31st 03, 01:11 AM
Jules Agee

"Leon" wrote in message ...
Hi, I ride hardboots (not steep angles) and a freeride board. When going
straight, after I pickup some speed, the rear of the board starts sliding
and does not track straight. It is fine when carving but when I want to go
straight I either have to go slow or keep carving turns left and right. Is
my stance too much forward?

Thanks,
Leon

Try pulling your rear knee a little closer to your front knee.

-Jules

--
Jules Agee
http://learning.snowboarding2.com
Old December 31st 03, 02:26 AM
Mike T

Hi, I ride hardboots (not steep angles) and a freeride board. When
going
straight, after I pickup some speed, the rear of the board starts

sliding
and does not track straight. It is fine when carving but when I want

to go
straight I either have to go slow or keep carving turns left and

right. Is
my stance too much forward?

Wealth of info on www.bomberonline.com concerning hard boots! If you
can describe your stance and technique as much as possible over there,
you'll surely get some useful help.

Jules's comment might be a great starting point assuming your stance is
either really wide or really splayed (large difference between angles) -
hard booters typically use a narrower stance than soft booters do.

Old December 31st 03, 05:00 PM
Jason Watkins

"Leon" wrote in message ...
Hi, I ride hardboots (not steep angles) and a freeride board. When going
straight, after I pickup some speed, the rear of the board starts sliding
and does not track straight. It is fine when carving but when I want to go
straight I either have to go slow or keep carving turns left and right. Is
my stance too much forward?

Thanks,
Leon

Which direction does it start to slide in? Does it consistantly go one
way? If your stance is regular, and the board likes to turn to the
left, my guess would be you're rotating your body toward the nose of
the board, which would tend to pressure your heelside edge a bit.

Another guess is that when you get some speed, you might be bending
your knees and getting low to keep stable as you bounce over stuff. If
you're in hardboots with low angles, you can't bend your ankles as
much to keep your butt over the board, so you end up bending at the
waist instead... and I find that hard to balance correctly. I've only
done one day in hardboots, but I had this exact problem (board was
always wanting to go heelside) until I figured out the right "home"
position for my body. After that, things felt better.

When I'm trying to figure out something wrong with my riding, I always
think from the board up. After all, if you just threw the board on the
snow with no rider, all by itself it will go straight down the fall
line... so if it's turning, somewhere there's pressure on the board
telling it to turn. Think about how things feel from the board up, and
you'll likely figure out what it is... might be a simple as one knee
is twisted toward the edge a little bit.

What angles are you at? Where are your bindings placed in the insert
pattern?
Old January 5th 04, 09:33 PM
Sharkie

"Leon" wrote in message ...
Hi, I ride hardboots (not steep angles) and a freeride board. When going
straight, after I pickup some speed, the rear of the board starts sliding
and does not track straight. It is fine when carving but when I want to go
straight I either have to go slow or keep carving turns left and right. Is
my stance too much forward?

Most likely the opposite I would say. Your stance is probably too much back.
If you keep your board flat (no edges engaged), and lean on your front
foot, your board will go in a straight line.

Think an unbalanced object, a knife with heavy handle f.ex.
When you throw it up in the air it will come down always the same side first
(the heavy handle). Whatever part is heavier will want to point down.

If you engage one of your edges, it's a different story altogether.

But in your case I think the problem is misalignment. Your upper body
(shoulders and hips) are somewhat twisted relative to your legs/feet.