AT Setup -- Help!

Old November 21st 03, 04:31 PM
Ryan Pfleger

Default AT Setup -- Help!

I wanted a little advice as I am (hoping to soon be) just getting started in
backcountry skiing. I've done a little hiking for turns in the past mainly
just outside of resorts and wanted to get into the backcountry more. I am
from Boise and would probably be doing a lot of my skiing around Sun Valley
and Stanley, with occasional forays to eastern Idaho and Utah (Wasatch or
Uintas). Of primary importance is touring ability, as I am interested in
doing multi day tours. Second is skiing performance although if conditions
are bad, its not vital to me to have a ski that performs well in crappy
snow. Thirdly but still important is climbing performance, I've done a bit
of moderate mountaineering and enjoy the idea of a only bringing one pair of
boots if there's climbing to be done. The vital stats - I'm 5'11",
155-160lbs. Here's the catch, I haven't skiied much in the last 3 years
(there's seems to be an amazing correlation between getting married and
skiing less), fewer than 5 ski days a year, but in anticipation of a great
snow year (fingers crossed) I've got a pass at the local resort and will be
getting out alot more this year, and hopefully back up to par by midseason.
Never been a great skier (haven't put in the time) but could always follow
better skiers down the scary stuff and make it in one piece even if it took
me a bit longer. Anyway, I'll tell you what I've been thinking about and
maybe you can affirm my choices or point me in a better direction. Also if
anyone knows of any online mailorder companies with ski/binding deals, feel
free to let me know. I have looked at mgear.com and backcountrystore.com.

Skis- Atomic TM:10 Superlight, probably 175's (lately I've been skiing some
185 X-mountains in the resort), sounds like they'll do the job, and the
price is nice too!

Bindings- Dynafit TLT, or TLT Comfort. Both seem great, not exactly sure
from reviews what the functional differences are. Have only seen the TLT.

Boots- Not sure here, will definately buy my boots from a local shop in Bois
e, or in Salt Lake, so it will depend somewhat upon what they carry.
Considering Scarpa Laser, or maybe Garmont Mega Lite or Dynafit TLT 700, or
TLT 4Pro? Also, I don't think it's for me, but has anyone tried Dynafit's
Mlt 4?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice anybody has on this, maybe I'll see some
of you in the backcountry this year.

Old November 21st 03, 06:20 PM
RBM

And I remember my now-16-year-old snowboarding ( son cross-country skiing
at three. I must admit, however, that the only thing that kept him going was
his conviction that the ski tracks in front of him were really railroad
tracks and that there was a train just around the bend. Anyhow, he's a
pretty fair adventurous snowboarder now so at least that doesn't limit my
skiing much.

"Tommy T." wrote in message

"Ryan Pfleger" wrote in message

Here's the catch, I haven't skiied much in the last 3 years
(there's seems to be an amazing correlation between getting married and
skiing less), fewer than 5 ski days a year

Thanks for any thoughts or advice anybody has on this, maybe I'll see

some
of you in the backcountry this year.

My thought is you should have married a woman who likes to ski. My advice
is convert her or get another. Next excuse is going to be kids. My

advice:
get them on snow early. Last year my grandson skied blue at Jackson hole
and off-piste at Aspen at age 3. Our record so far is a granddaughter who
was on skies at Nashoba Valley Ski Area at 17 months.

Tommy T.

Old November 21st 03, 06:49 PM
Ryan Pfleger

"Tommy T." wrote in message

My thought is you should have married a woman who likes to ski. My advice
is convert her or get another.

I'm working on it (the conversion part) she actually enjoys it, just not a
priority and often can't seem to find the time. Anyway, at least she
climbs, so I guess I can't have everything.

Ryan

Old November 21st 03, 07:22 PM
Tommy T.

"RBM" wrote he's a
pretty fair adventurous snowboarder now so at least that doesn't limit my
skiing much.

Well, if he's one of my snowboard students, he's been taught that the
untracked big mountain is the ultimate goal.

In the '60s, I started in back country ski treking as a logical winter
extension of my summer backpacking, moving to cross-country citizens racing
and race coaching and to mountaineering pretty much simultaneously.
Although I spent a fair amount of time on the lifts starting around 1970. I
was never into alpine equipment. My own son started alpine at 3 and was
100% tele from age 12 to 16 when I insisted that he master the board so I
could have a buddy in the backcountry. He was 12 when we were skiing at
Cannon Mt. in New Hampshire. He broke his alpine skis on a mogul run called
"Zoomer." I was on an early model Karhu tele ski but had my Trucker's in
the van. The Truckers were far from an ideal in-bounds ski so I switched to
them and heavy touring boots and let him have the Karhu's and my Alpina tele
boots with a couple of extra pairs of socks. Two runs later, he broke my
Kahru's on the same mogul trail. We talked it over and bought matching
Rossi TRS tele skis with Asolo Snowfield boots and neither of us has owned
alpine gear since. Now he does about 50-50 while I'm 80% on boards -- plus
my teaching time which is all board although I do have telemark instructor
certification.

His first son is the three year old off-piste alpinist previously mentioned.
We were at Jackson when the kid was 37 months and he was skiing the Blue
trails off ApreVous peak. My son and I left him with our wives (reluctant
baby-sitters, but his little brother was still nursing) and hiked Teton Pass
for a couple of days of boarding (first day with Jeff Jung co-owner of
Rendezvous Ski Tours as a guide -- highly recommended) and after hearing us
rave about the conditions, the little one announced that he was tired of the
trails and wanted to "hit some powder in the trees." (Imagine this said with
a Porky Pig accent.) So, the next season, at 47 months, we were riding the
lifts and skiing powder in the Wasach.

Tommy T.

Old November 21st 03, 08:33 PM
Tommy T.

"Ryan Pfleger" wrote

at least she
climbs, so I guess I can't have everything.

Not to tell you how to run your domestic affairs, but that's how I got
started. I went from summertime backpacking and rock climbing to winter time
backpacking and ice climbing to mountaineering. During the '70s, "everyone"
went from snowshoes to skis for winter approaches whenever practicable.
Using the skis to come down was an automatic extension that some became a
rationale in itself.

Tommy T.

Old November 22nd 03, 02:50 AM
BT

"Ryan Pfleger" wrote in message
Skis- Atomic TM:10 Superlight, probably 175's (lately I've been skiing

some
185 X-mountains in the resort), sounds like they'll do the job, and the
price is nice too!

Bindings- Dynafit TLT, or TLT Comfort. Both seem great, not exactly sure
from reviews what the functional differences are. Have only seen the TLT.

Boots- Not sure here, will definately buy my boots from a local shop in

Bois
e, or in Salt Lake, so it will depend somewhat upon what they carry.
Considering Scarpa Laser, or maybe Garmont Mega Lite or Dynafit TLT 700,

or
TLT 4Pro? Also, I don't think it's for me, but has anyone tried Dynafit's
Mlt 4?

I use essentially the setup you describe although I have slightly older
models purchased a few years ago:
Atomic Tour Guide Superlight skis
Dynafit TLT bindings
Dynafit TLT4 boots

I've been very happy with the setup. I have hiked/climbed in the boots a
lot and find them quite comfortable. Sometimes it is a bit difficult to
click the boot toes into the bindings.

BobT

Old November 22nd 03, 11:33 PM

In article ,
Ryan Pfleger wrote:
I wanted a little advice as I am (hoping to soon be) just getting started in
backcountry skiing.

Skis- Atomic TM:10 Superlight, probably 175's (lately I've been skiing some
185 X-mountains in the resort), sounds like they'll do the job, and the
price is nice too!

- - Definitely go shorter than what you're skiing at the resort.

Bindings- Dynafit TLT, or TLT Comfort. Both seem great, not exactly sure
from reviews what the functional differences are. Have only seen the TLT.

_ I think the toe piece is slightly different. The TLT Comfort is
is either a Tri-step toe and TLT heel or the other way around.
Check Lou Dawson's web site www.wildsnow.com. One thing is to
avoid any "deals" on the other Tri Step bindings, they had a
problem that was never really resolved.

Boots- Not sure here, will definately buy my boots from a local shop in Bois
e, or in Salt Lake, so it will depend somewhat upon what they carry.
Considering Scarpa Laser, or maybe Garmont Mega Lite or Dynafit TLT 700, or
TLT 4Pro? Also, I don't think it's for me, but has anyone tried Dynafit's
Mlt 4?

_ If climbing and touring are important you definitely want to
try the TLT 4Pro. For such a light nimble boot it skis very
well. All the boots you list above are more focused on all around
skiing performance and will suffer some when climbing. Don't
expect to do much French Technique in any ski mountaineering
boot, ( except maybe the MLT..) You can sometimes find the TLT
4's on sale for very cheap with the older Loden liners[1]. These
are a bit heavier, but ski much nicer IMHO and don't impact
climbablity at all.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice anybody has on this, maybe I'll see some
of you in the backcountry this year.

_ I'd go for wider shorter skis, but I see a lot more heavy crud
in the Sierra than you will in Idaho. I got a pair of TLT 4's
very cheap this summer and I've really been impressed with how
much they stiffen up when you clamp them down and how soft they
are when loose. Do make sure that they fit your foot shape
though, they are a bit on the long skinny side.

_ Booker C. Bense

[1]- Try www.life-link.com or Marmot Mountaineering.

Old November 23rd 03, 08:43 AM
David Off

lac.stanford.edu wrote:
Do make sure that they fit your foot shape
though, they are a bit on the long skinny side.

Same problem with the M-Rides - a fairly long skinny boot. The
Mega-Lites in the same length were the most uncomfortable boot I've ever
had on my foot. I would go to a reputable boot fitter if I had any
problems with the boots on offer.

Old November 25th 03, 02:33 PM
shawn

My thought is you should have married a woman who likes to ski. My advice

is convert her or get another. Next excuse is going to be kids. My advice:
get them on snow early. Last year my grandson skied blue at Jackson hole
and off-piste at Aspen at age 3. Our record so far is a granddaughter who
was on skies at Nashoba Valley Ski Area at 17 months.

Tommy T.

I don't want to be a killjoy, but I'd talk to a pediatrician before I
put a toddler in alpine boots. My uncle, who is both a pediatrician and
an avid skiier, told me that rigid ski boots are strongly discouraged
for toddlers while their joints are still developing.

Old November 26th 03, 03:57 PM
Jonathan Shefftz

You definitely seem to be on the right track! Some other options:

skis: check out the new Volkl Mountain Norbert Joos (very light, with
skin that has a simple yet apparently effective and very light tip
attachment system), although definitely pricier than the Atomic TM:10;
another option is the K2 8611 in a 167cm - sierratradingpost.com has
last yr’s version on sale for only $200

bindings: the Dynafit TLT Comfort is supposed to combine the classic
TLT toe w/ the TriStep heel (has longer pins plus some other minor
advantages) - see wildsnow.com for details

boots: check out the Scarpa F1

why hardboots? Dmitry Snowboarding 97 March 23rd 04 02:47 PM
Newbie Binding Setup Question Joe Blanchard Snowboarding 2 February 26th 04 07:57 PM
can only ride with my back binding loose - why? Dmitry Snowboarding 8 December 12th 03 01:25 AM
Post-ACL recon: soft or stiff setup? elb Snowboarding 1 November 1st 03 05:12 PM
Stiff board/flex boot or vice versa? Hadoken Snowboarding 5 October 10th 03 07:32 PM