walkie-talkies on the slopes - any good?

Old January 21st 05, 04:02 PM
Joe Hunt

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message
"Steve" wrote in message
Our observations after MUCH experimentation.

Someone has been listening to you -
http://www.maximonsolutions.com/skispecial.htm

Joe

Old January 21st 05, 04:23 PM
Steve

I know... We got our first batch of mics from them ages ago. They asked
what we wanted them for and we told them... I checked their site a week
or so back and saw what they'd done... In the words of one of the chaps
in our group when I showed him... "Cheeky feckers, where's our
consultancy commission cheque ?"

Steve

:

Old January 22nd 05, 11:28 AM
John Ricketts

Thanks Edi,

I just bought a set of 4 of the later Binatones, with 5Km range, 2 chargers
etc etc for £52.99 on ebay!

"Edi" wrote in message
news

"John Ricketts" wrote in message
I've always just used mobile phones to keep in touch with mixed groups on
the slopes, but it does get expensive unless you can justify buying
french
simms. You can get 2-way radios very cheap now, with 2 mile range and

14-odd
channels.

Does anyone have experience of using these in a busy resort? Are they
totally swamped by other users?

I have had good results with cheapo Binatone PMR442 radios from Argos (was
about £90 for 4 with x2 chargers 2 years ago). Line of sight is usually
required to guarantee operation of any decent distant (2-3Km max) but I
have
managed to call La Tania from Courchevel 'round the mountain' so must have
been good propagation that day !

Loads of them in 3V so you really need the 8 channel 38 code type giving
you
8 x 38 'channel' options to find one thats free. Other resorts have not
been
a proablem. (and the kids love playing with them the rest of the time)

Have fun !

Edi

Old January 22nd 05, 06:18 PM
cupra

John Ricketts wrote:
I've always just used mobile phones to keep in touch with mixed
groups on the slopes, but it does get expensive unless you can
justify buying french simms. You can get 2-way radios very cheap now,
with 2 mile range and 14-odd channels.

Does anyone have experience of using these in a busy resort? Are they
totally swamped by other users?

Used them for three seasons now - as long as you aren't counting on using
them for 'over the mountain' communications, you get fairly good
performance. Anecdotally, I have heard that mobiles can interfere with
avalanche transceivers if you plan to go for any off piste excursions....

Old January 22nd 05, 07:16 PM
Edi

Well done John. I think the best advice is see how they work, but if you
really need to make contact take your mobi as well !

Where are you heading ?

All the best,

Edi

.uk...

Old January 23rd 05, 08:57 AM
John Ricketts

Chamonix again, but not a "lad's trip" this time. Taking family (which will
be.......interesting!)