Milton Keynes - what's the poma like?

Old December 6th 03, 03:11 PM
Theodore Luigi Stungo

Default Milton Keynes - what's the poma like?

Hi,

I'm going to MK Xscape and was wondering, what's the best technique for using
the poma lift?

I've not used one before and don't want to look like complete knob!

Thanks,

Theo
Old December 8th 03, 10:37 AM
Keith

"Theodore Luigi Stungo" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm going to MK Xscape and was wondering, what's the best technique for

using
the poma lift?

Don't, if you can avoid it.

I've not used one before and don't want to look like complete knob!

But because you can't avoid it:

- unstrap your back foot and get nicely lined up for take off. Get your back
foot just in front of your back binding, and wedge it firmly against the
binding.
- don't worry too much about missing a poma or two if you're just beginning.
Be ready for it, and don't grab the first one that comes along if you don't
feel ready.
- resist the temptation to just hang on to the button or shove it behind
your arm. Seat it properly between your legs. Make sure you get it as high
up as possible, without causing yourself any undue pain!
- get ready for the take-off jerk (if there is one) by holding onto the poma
with your front hand *only* and leaning back. Use your back hand for
balance.
- stay leaned back the whole way up. Resist the temptation to grab onto the
poma with both hands. If you feel you need to, either you're on a mental 45
degree French lift or you haven't seated the button properly.

Hope this helps!

Keith

Old December 8th 03, 01:36 PM
Yello snow

I agree with the last lost

But I would like to add that while you should hold the bar of the poma
lift with your leading hand - you should have your trailing arm behind
you (right arm if your regular, and left if your goofy) what this is
meant to do is keep you inline with your board. If you grab hold with
both hands you can get turned around sideways and end up; either being
dragged up the hill on your heel edge or falling flat on your face.
;-/

Also don't try and push against the poma to much as you'll end up on
your arse – the trick is; to place your weight on your back foot to
counteract the initial jolt of the poma when it first starts to pull
you, then equal out your weight and allow the lift to drag you up the
hill.
Old December 8th 03, 08:38 PM
Tom

Default Milton Keynes - what's the poma like? + tips for novice

Thanks very much for the advice, chaps.
I've just got back. I found it difficult getting on to the poma on my first 3
ascents, but after that it was fine.

My technique is crap though. This was my fourth day of boarding (I did 3 days
in Meribel last year.) Something in my technique is still nowhere near there
yet, as I am not comfortable or controlled at all on the toe edge. It's almost
like the board's either too flat and straight, or comes right round and catches
a big edge; I can't seem to just get a nice, smooth ride on the toe edge yet.

Do you actually flex your toes or just use body weight?

Any tips?

Thanks,

Old December 9th 03, 10:18 PM
Tom

Thanks again for the replies to me thread (sent under a different name),
people.
I'm looking forward to trying out a few of the tips I've learned on here.

I think my stance / angles might be causing me grief though. My front foot
angles forward a bit but my back foot is at a dead right-angle. Flexing my
knees when I got home, I saw how sort of un-coordinated they were like that,
so I've moved the rear binding to a bit of a forward angle too. I am going to
re-post on this subject as for a beginner it's really hard to tell which angles
are best!

Old December 14th 03, 06:41 AM
lizbubb

I'm going to MK Xscape and was wondering, what's the best technique for

using
the poma lift?

My top beginner poma tip: DON'T try to react to whatever's in front of you
(ok, unless it's a runaway skier or a 50ft statue of a bunny or something)
just look where you want to be, relax and trust the lift to get you there.
Same if you feel like you're going way out of the tracks - don't try to
correct yourself, just let the lift pull you back.

You want your weight evenly balanced (ie not on either edge) and on the
front foot, shoulders parallel to the board. May be easier to just hold with
your front hand. Then just turn your head to look where you're going and
keep looking as far ahead as you can.

Liz

Old December 16th 03, 08:34 PM
Tom

Then just turn your head to look where you're going and
keep looking as far ahead as you can.

Liz

Hey, Liz, for the advice. I was an amusing site for any onlookers on my first 3
tries, struggling to get on, but I didn't actually fall off at all and after
that it was fine. The memory of it is quite amusing!

I'm sure the pomas won't be as gentle in Meribel as they were at Xscape, but at
least it gave me experience!

Tom
High Wycombe
UK