Getting to Geneva Airport without buying a Vignette

Old October 23rd 06, 10:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

Default Getting to Geneva Airport without buying a Vignette

In February I am going to have to collect some people from Geneva airport on
a Sunday night. I will be coming from courmeyeur and as this will be my only
trip into Switzerland I don't want to buy a Vignette. Can anyone suggest
suitable routes as I've never been to Geneva before

Thanks

Chris *:-)

Old October 23rd 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
John Wilcock

MoonMan wrote:
In February I am going to have to collect some people from Geneva airport on
a Sunday night. I will be coming from courmeyeur and as this will be my only
trip into Switzerland I don't want to buy a Vignette. Can anyone suggest
suitable routes as I've never been to Geneva before

On a Sunday night traffic won't be a problem, so from the Autoroute
Blanche take the Geneve Gaillard exit and go straight across the city,
following signs for the centre till you cross the Pont du Mont Blanc,
then signs for the airport thereafter.

John.

--
-- Over 3000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages - www.tradoc.fr
Old October 23rd 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Johannes

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:50:24 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote:

In February I am going to have to collect some people from Geneva airport on
a Sunday night. I will be coming from courmeyeur and as this will be my only
trip into Switzerland I don't want to buy a Vignette. Can anyone suggest
suitable routes as I've never been to Geneva before

Try :
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...MaHomePage.htm

Johannes

Old October 30th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
SteveH

John Wilcock wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
In February I am going to have to collect some people from Geneva airport on
a Sunday night. I will be coming from courmeyeur and as this will be my only
trip into Switzerland I don't want to buy a Vignette. Can anyone suggest
suitable routes as I've never been to Geneva before

On a Sunday night traffic won't be a problem, so from the Autoroute
Blanche take the Geneve Gaillard exit and go straight across the city,
following signs for the centre till you cross the Pont du Mont Blanc,
then signs for the airport thereafter.

As John said, but be very careful to NOT follow signs to the airport
until you are past the city centre. If in doubt head north and try to
follow signs for Ferney.

Steve

Old October 31st 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

SteveH wrote:
John Wilcock wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
In February I am going to have to collect some people from Geneva
airport on a Sunday night. I will be coming from courmeyeur and as
this will be my only trip into Switzerland I don't want to buy a
Vignette. Can anyone suggest suitable routes as I've never been to
Geneva before

On a Sunday night traffic won't be a problem, so from the Autoroute
Blanche take the Geneve Gaillard exit and go straight across the
city, following signs for the centre till you cross the Pont du Mont
Blanc, then signs for the airport thereafter.

As John said, but be very careful to NOT follow signs to the airport
until you are past the city centre. If in doubt head north and try to
follow signs for Ferney.

Steve

Thanks folks, but Steve you've got me worried, why would it be dificult to
follow signs for Ferney? is signposting in Geneva as bad as Brussels?

Chris *:-)

Old October 31st 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:34:57 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

SteveH wrote:
John Wilcock wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
[...]

The problem is simply that if you follow signs for the airport it'll
likely take you back onto the motorway, which you're wanting to avoid
with no vignette. Although having said that, the chances of getting
pulled in the 1 kilometre or so you might be on it are astronomically
small.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 31st 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
John Wilcock

Ace wrote:
The problem is simply that if you follow signs for the airport it'll
likely take you back onto the motorway, which you're wanting to avoid
with no vignette.

True, if you follow them too early.

The route really is pretty easy, though - more or less straight across
the city, following signs for the centre until you get, well, to the
centre :-) (i.e. until you get to the Pont du Mont Blanc across the
Rhône just as it flows out of the lake) and only then following signs
for the airport. Steve's hint about following signs for Ferney is worth
noting if you get slightly lost as it is in the same direction.

A quick glance at a map of Geneva, e.g. on ViaMichelin, should make
things pretty clear.

Although having said that, the chances of getting pulled in the
1 kilometre or so you might be on it are astronomically small.

I've certainly only ever seen them checking for vignettes at the
motorway border crossing (and even there you can often drive straight
through without seeing a soul at either French or Swiss customs) but
knowing the Swiss the fines are likely to be pretty hefty if you were to
get unlucky.

John.

Old October 31st 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

John Wilcock wrote:
Ace wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ace and John.

Now all I need is suggestions as to a place to stay for the night of the
27th of Jan (and where to ski on the Sunday) before heading through the
Tunnel to Courmayeur for the British Masters.

--
Chris *:-)

Old October 31st 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Robert Swindells

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:48:38 +0000, MoonMan wrote:

Now all I need is suggestions as to a place to stay for the night of the
27th of Jan (and where to ski on the Sunday) before heading through the
Tunnel to Courmayeur for the British Masters.

Why not ski in Morzine ?

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/1228.html?event_id=20973&cal_suchsector=MA

Robert

Old November 1st 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

Robert Swindells wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:48:38 +0000, MoonMan wrote:

Now all I need is suggestions as to a place to stay for the night of
the 27th of Jan (and where to ski on the Sunday) before heading
through the Tunnel to Courmayeur for the British Masters.

Why not ski in Morzine ?

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/1228.html?event_id=20973&cal_suchsector=MA

Robert

We're Driving out on the Saturday so we'd miss the Slalom and I'd prefer to
get some time on snow before a GS race. Are you going to race at Morzine?

Chris *:-)