Am I missing good Lake Tahoe ski days?

Old January 9th 05, 01:47 AM
marty

Default Am I missing good Lake Tahoe ski days?

Windy. Heavy snow during the morning will give way to snow showers during
the afternoon. High 34F.
Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 6 to 10

inches.

When I see a weather report like the one above, I stay home and wait for the
next opportunity. It's the wind prediction that makes me think skiing would
be drudgery instead of a day of good fun.

I don't have enough experience to know what I'm missing. It's a 3.5 hour
drive each way for me, without stopping and slowing for chain requirements,
so I tend to wuss out when I see heavy winds predicted. Am I missing good
skiing days by staying home because of worries over blizzard skiing?

Old January 9th 05, 03:29 AM
lal_truckee

marty wrote:
Windy. Heavy snow during the morning will give way to snow showers during

the afternoon. High 34F.

Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 6 to 10

inches.

When I see a weather report like the one above, I stay home and wait for the
next opportunity.

Wrong. When you see a weather report like the one above, drop
everything, jump in the car, and head on up. Learn to ski the good
weather days like these, and you won't have to suffer so many days of
foul clear weather with firmpack snow amid firmly packed skiers.
Old January 9th 05, 06:00 PM
marty

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
marty wrote:
Windy. Heavy snow during the morning will give way to snow showers

during

the afternoon. High 34F.

Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 6 to 10

inches.

When I see a weather report like the one above, I stay home and wait for

the
next opportunity.

Wrong. When you see a weather report like the one above, drop
everything, jump in the car, and head on up. Learn to ski the good
weather days like these, and you won't have to suffer so many days of
foul clear weather with firmpack snow amid firmly packed skiers.

So I've got it backwards? When it comes to wind predictions, at what point
do you stay home?
What do you mean by "learn to ski the good weather days like these...?" Are
there some things to know or do that make skiing in high winds (I was
actually thinking more along the lines of 20-35mph) more
rewarding/enjoyable/successful?

Old January 9th 05, 09:59 PM
marty

"AstroPax" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 18:00:01 GMT, "marty"
wrote:

When it comes to wind predictions, at what point
do you stay home?

IMO, predictions are irrelevant. When they shut down all the good
lifts, then it's time to quit.

Are
there some things to know or do that make skiing in high winds (I was
actually thinking more along the lines of 20-35mph) more
rewarding/enjoyable/successful?

It helps to know where the good tree skiing is.

-Astro

I was thinking that when the resorts start shutting down the lifts it's
definitely a sign that the skiing might not be on the winning side of an
enjoyment to effort ratio. I know that I enjoy sailing when it's 15-25mph,
but 25-35mph becomes more like work (although it's pretty exciting). That's
a good thought about the tree skiing; I assume the trees are acting as a
windbreak.

Old January 10th 05, 01:58 AM
lal_truckee

marty wrote:

Windy. Heavy snow during the morning will give way to snow showers

during

the afternoon. High 34F.

Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 6 to 10

inches.

When I see a weather report like the one above, I stay home and wait for

the

next opportunity.

Wrong. When you see a weather report like the one above, drop
everything, jump in the car, and head on up. Learn to ski the good
weather days like these, and you won't have to suffer so many days of
foul clear weather with firmpack snow amid firmly packed skiers.

So I've got it backwards? When it comes to wind predictions, at what point
do you stay home?

I'd probably can it if they predicted 60-120 mph. No lifts will open.
Actually, I might just go by the slopes to see the sights, and say high
to the working crews ...
Lower winds (50 range down) around my hill several sheltered lifts will
be open; 10 inches of fresh is worth hitting, and if you're a flatlander
you can't really sit at home around the fire waiting for perfect days;
if you want to ski fresh, you take every chance you can get.

What do you mean by "learn to ski the good weather days like these...?" Are
there some things to know or do that make skiing in high winds (I was
actually thinking more along the lines of 20-35mph) more
rewarding/enjoyable/successful?

Windproof garments make high winds fun. Get your high waist goretex
pant, your goretex parka, seal up the powder skirt, adjust the hood over
your helmet, pull on the high wristed gantlets, and hit the slopes. Fine
times...
Old January 10th 05, 02:39 AM
The Real Bev

lal_truckee wrote:

Windproof garments make high winds fun. Get your high waist goretex
pant, your goretex parka, seal up the powder skirt, adjust the hood over
your helmet, pull on the high wristed gantlets, and hit the slopes. Fine
times...

No amount of goretex will make it fine if you're going down a 25-degree
hill in a full tuck at less than walking speed.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 10th 05, 04:23 PM
TexasSkiNut

Bev said:
No amount of goretex will make it fine if you're going down
a 25-degree hill in a full tuck at less than walking speed.

So turn around and ski uphill!

Old January 16th 05, 02:39 AM
rosco

marty wrote:

Windy. Heavy snow during the morning will give way to snow showers during

the afternoon. High 34F.

Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 6 to 10

inches.

When I see a weather report like the one above, I stay home and wait for the
next opportunity. It's the wind prediction that makes me think skiing would
be drudgery instead of a day of good fun.

I don't have enough experience to know what I'm missing. It's a 3.5 hour
drive each way for me, without stopping and slowing for chain requirements,
so I tend to wuss out when I see heavy winds predicted. Am I missing good
skiing days by staying home because of worries over blizzard skiing?

I can't begin to count the amount of skiers I have listened to (on
working days)in amazement as they complain about the weather when it is
dumping... "(whine) I can't ski in all this snow". Perhaps you are one
of these people? If so, thank you for keeping the lines short on the
best of days.

In all fairness, nasty winter weather is a fetish of mine and is not for
everyone and mostly likely not for many except a relative few twisted
individuals, some of who post at rsa.

RAC

Old January 16th 05, 04:50 PM
Mr. Splodge

"rosco" wrote in message

marty wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it sucks up here unless it's bluebird sunny without a breath of wind.
You'd best stay home and avoid the dangerous roads and inclement weather.