Ahhh Spring skiing

Old April 4th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
DaveM

Default Ahhh Spring skiing

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:42:12 -0400, VtSkier
wrote:

DaveM wrote:
Beautiful day skiing on Saturday. 6 or so inches of fresh and fluffy
in the morning. Warmed up in the bright subshine for some nice long
soft Spring skiing runs in the afternoon. Just under a month left for
the lifts to keep running. Better make the most of it.

DaveM

After a glorious week last week and a weekend of
sleet, rain, snow, freezing rain, rime ice, high
wind, lifts being down from wind, icing or lack
of interest, I'm looking forward to a good day
of calm wind, sunshine and 50 degrees with
wonderfully soft hero snow tomorrow.
.

We are back to a brief blast of winter here. Had eight or ten inches
of fresh snow yesterday and it was blown in deep in the trees. Might
have been my last day out for the year since I am traveling next week.
Might get one more, have to see. It was funny to go back to cold temp,
wind, blowing snow ... winter .. after three weeks of mostly spring
like. Gives me dreams of December to tide me over through a long hot
mountain biking season.

Dave M

Old April 4th 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier[_3_]

wrote:

DaveM wrote:
[...]

75 degrees at the top of Killington yesterday (Saturday).
Many bikini sightings. The views were wonderful. How I
like spring skiing.
..

Old April 4th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Bob F

VtSkier wrote:

75 degrees at the top of Killington yesterday (Saturday).
Many bikini sightings. The views were wonderful. How I
like spring skiing.

Here in the Seattle area we just don't get that kind of spring skiing. The areas
close long before the temps get up that high.

Old April 4th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier[_3_]

Bob F wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

75 degrees at the top of Killington yesterday (Saturday).
Many bikini sightings. The views were wonderful. How I
like spring skiing.

Here in the Seattle area we just don't get that kind of spring skiing. The areas
close long before the temps get up that high.

It's quite by accident that the temperature got this
high. In fact it's a record, IIRC by perhaps 13 degrees!
That's a lot.

We like what we call "sugar weather" for spring skiing.
Freeze overnight, sun bakes the snow for a couple of
hours in the morning and softens up to a nice consistency.

The freeze/thaw cycle creates 'corn snow' which is
really nice. For the last week and a half we have not
gotten the freeze part of the cycle and the hill is
pretty slushy. If you can push it around it can be
fun.

..

Old April 4th 10, 09:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

On 4/4/10 10:48 AM, Bob F wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

75 degrees at the top of Killington yesterday (Saturday).
Many bikini sightings. The views were wonderful. How I
like spring skiing.

Here in the Seattle area we just don't get that kind of spring skiing. The areas
close long before the temps get up that high.

I'm kind of surprised? Around Tahoe both Alpine and Squaw (and Mammoth
down the road) continue into May when the temps are high and the corn is
fabulous. You guys get copious dense snow like we do - why do ALL your
mountains close early?

Anyway, major dumpage around Tahoe all week, continuing. Winter
returned. Dam shame having to ski pow. grin grin grin

I'm bailing for a month in South East Asia in a couple of weeks, so
trying to cram in a few more slope days before. Although it looks like I
have to make an appearance at the Viet consulate in San Francisco in the AM.

Old April 4th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Bob F

lal_truckee wrote:
On 4/4/10 10:48 AM, Bob F wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

75 degrees at the top of Killington yesterday (Saturday).
Many bikini sightings. The views were wonderful. How I
like spring skiing.

Here in the Seattle area we just don't get that kind of spring
skiing. The areas close long before the temps get up that high.

I'm kind of surprised? Around Tahoe both Alpine and Squaw (and Mammoth
down the road) continue into May when the temps are high and the corn
is fabulous. You guys get copious dense snow like we do - why do ALL
your mountains close early?

It seems to me that they close due to lack of people rather than lack of snow.
Probably most of the people still going up at the end of the season are season
pass holders, so the monetary motivation to continue later may be limited. Plus,
I've heard there may be forest service restrictions on their lease.

Old April 5th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
The Real Bev[_7_]

On 04/04/2010 08:00 AM, DaveM wrote:

We are back to a brief blast of winter here. Had eight or ten inches
of fresh snow yesterday and it was blown in deep in the trees. Might
have been my last day out for the year since I am traveling next week.
Might get one more, have to see. It was funny to go back to cold temp,
wind, blowing snow ... winter .. after three weeks of mostly spring
like. Gives me dreams of December to tide me over through a long hot
mountain biking season.

I think we owe Al Gore a lot for having invented this global warming stuff --
we've had a GREAT year with 3-5 feet still hanging around. This is the first
season I've ever skied in either December OR April, and I did both. The
Volants are so lovely and stable I don't even mind slush any more!

GPS is slick, especially for $4 (yardsale) -- I hit 46.6 mph max, which is most
gratifying. I did that on a bicycle once -- also downhill, of course.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land