Reason why no ID marks on Natl suits?

Old February 19th 06, 03:32 PM

Default Reason why no ID marks on Natl suits?

Is there a good reason why there are no identifying marks on the
national team ski suits?

It might be nice for someone to be able to ID a skier at some point.

Otherwise, why not just let them wear random outfits.

Basically, I declare the current suit situation to be...insane.

I personally advise all the teams, by tomorrow, to apply easily seen
country names on their suits.

May I suggest a "USA" on the front of the leg of US skiers. Let other
nations do something similar.

And then the national leaders and event organizers should apologize for
not having any ID marks lo these past few years.

I'm sick'n'tired of not being able to identify any skier.

Moreover, let's put skier last names on the front leg and upper back,
too. Like they do in sports.

--JP

Old February 19th 06, 07:48 PM

No reason to make them targets...

J Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

Old February 19th 06, 08:34 PM

AHHHHHHH Jay, never thought of that.

As i get ready for the Vasaloppet i thought the same thing - Do i want to
wear USA?

Of course why would any terrorist target the Vasaloppet ???????

JK

ups.com...

Old February 19th 06, 11:20 PM

Didn't the Swedes have a suit a little while ago that had the name and
"SWE" plastered on the skier's ass? That was brutal. Maybe we're all
recovering from that...

bt

Old February 19th 06, 11:45 PM

32 degrees wrote:
AHHHHHHH Jay, never thought of that.

As i get ready for the Vasaloppet i thought the same thing - Do i want to
wear USA?

Of course why would any terrorist target the Vasaloppet ???????

JK

It's pretty unfortunate that even has to be a consideration, isn't it?

Regards,
Chris
Old February 20th 06, 04:56 AM
doogiski doogiski is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
No reason to make them targets...

J Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
That made me laugh. But I think the reason that so many teams changed their uniforms for the Olympics is that the advertising on the uniforms is not allowed. That why you don't see any Audi markings on the German suits, Lukoil on Russians, Cresco on Norwegians, Haywood on Canadians, etc. I also think that if you watch the World Cup skiing enough you'll be able to recognize the skiers by their technique. Bjørgen with her forward lean, Angerer with his upright stance like the other German men and Beckie Scott with her short armed double poling. Also, toques and faces help a lot like Filbrich's signature orange toque or Piller Cottrer's yellow toques. But yes I agree with you if you are starting to watch skiing, it can be confusing when you see someone go by like Rotchev then 5 minutes later you see Nobikov go by at the same time check.
Cheers,
Adam
Smithers,BC
Old February 20th 06, 04:36 PM

This is a serious comment? Why? - in particular, why for this sport
and not the others.

Old February 20th 06, 09:02 PM

I was watching and thinking the same thoughts. It was really odd not
being able to ID the nations. I thought a simple armband with a flag
would do it.
The whole advertising thing is a joke. The IOC is way to into control.
Why strip the uniforms and then let everyone pop up a ski the second
they stop?

I also think they will also need split the games into;
The X-Gen Games and the Oxy-gen Games.

/john

Old February 20th 06, 09:50 PM

And curling will still be gloriously unique :-)