Garnet Hill Not Bad

Old December 5th 04, 06:15 PM
Douglas Diehl

Default Garnet Hill Not Bad

After skiing around the base lodge of Gore Mt. for 2 days and then
another 2 days on a Chestertown golf course, it was good to be on a
real ski trail. Garnet Hill has about 1.5 km open for skating. 1-2"
expected tonight with real low temps.

Oceola Nordic on The Tug Hill Plateau is in full operation. Haven't
heard anything about Salmon Hills.
Old December 6th 04, 02:48 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

We visited Osceola yesterday afternoon after popping in at Sandy Creek
to check out the ski swap. Got there late and didn't find anything
for the kids except a pair of poles I was planning to cut down to fit
them.

Arrived at Osceola and stepped inside to say Hi and discovered a fairly
well stocked ski shop inside! Hadn't been there in several years and
didn't remember seeing that before. Turns out he carries a full line
of (small) kid size boots so I bought a shiny new pair of Fischer's for
my 3-year-old daughter, plus a pair of used poles short enough they
don't need to be cut down. So the first pair of poles went into the
"for next year" pile.

We then struck out on skis for a bit, but with twin 3-year-olds plus an
adult guest who'd never even seen snow before in her life we didn't
actually go very far. It was very nice though to see the kids looking
much more comfortable on skis this year than last. I was a bit
surprised to see no classic tracks groomed, but admittedly there's not
much base yet. Couldn't really complain though since the skiing was
free on Saturday.

We did drive by Salmon Hills on the way from Sandy Creek to Osceola
but didn't stop. From the look of things from the road I'd say there's
more snow at Salmon Hills than Osceola. Don't know if they're open yet
or not. Their web site was saying they're grand re-opening is next
weekend.

I'd still like to find a 2nd pair of used 100 cm waxless skis with
Profil bindings if anyone happens to have a pair they no longer need.

-Mitch