Flow baseplate thinckness now vs 2001?

Old January 22nd 06, 07:17 PM

Default Flow baseplate thinckness now vs 2001?

I've not been boarding as much as i'd have liked over the past few
years and when i have i've been hiring gear, this year though i
promised myself a shiney new Donek and i figure i might as well replace
my ageing bindings while i'm at it.

I've got some Flow FL something or other kicking about, can't remember
off hand but they were about =A3130 4/5 years ago if i remember right.
Anyway, the base on them is fairly thick and i'd like something that
keeps me a bit closer to the board, the main base is about 1/2" but the
front 'shock' pad is the best part of an inch, just over 3/4".

I'd like to grab another pair of Flows, maybe the Pro FR model, but can
anyone tell me how thick the plate is on them. I'm guessing they're
not down to a couple of mm like strappies but i'd hope that they're a
bit slimmer. FYI, i don't mind straps but to keep myself feeling held
in well i ratchet up too much, after a wekk away last year i only got
feeling back in my toes 6 weeks later. not good, so i kinda like the
flows ;-)

Cheers for any info

Old January 23rd 06, 07:56 AM

flecture wrote:
I've not been boarding as much as i'd have liked over the past few
years and when i have i've been hiring gear, this year though i
promised myself a shiney new Donek and i figure i might as well replace
my ageing bindings while i'm at it.

Hi,

I somehow cracked the base plate on my 5 year old Flows last week
in the Three valleys. Had to limp down to Courchevel to buy some
replacements. I was planning on getting the carbon Flows or some
more FL11s, but I could only find the really basic ones for sale.

I ended up getting a pair of K2 Cinch which are like a Flow/Strap
hybrid. The back opens like a Flow, but they have normal toe/ankle
straps. Also the straps are on a hinge linked to the back. Lifting
the back into position clamps the straps down onto your foot.

I only used them for four days, but initial impressions a-

1. Tighter and lighter[1] than Flows, but at the expense of numb feet,
so maybe not for you. I like the feel, but had forgotten about the
discomfort. It's nice to be able to easily adjust the tightness
though.

2. More to go wrong. More bolts and hinges to wear and break. They
feel pretty solid though. Schauen wir mal.

3. They're showing signs of wear already. The padding on the inside
of the highback is torn/coming unglued already. I think K2 will be
getting a letter at the end of the season. I don't really see why
padding here is needed at all.

4. Although they should be easier to get into than Flows, my back foot
doesn't slide straight in. With Flows I could start sliding and just
slip in and lock my back foot on the move. This is not so simple with
the K2s, but maybe just practise is needed.

5. The K2s have a smooth plate covering the locking disk which seems
to stop snow building up on the baseplate. Nice idea.

Cheers.
Iain.
[1] Lighter than mine at least.

Old January 24th 06, 12:31 AM

Take a look at the flow TEAM model ,very light and highly adjustable
and the base plate is thinner because they are cross over freestyle
,freeride but the price of the bindings are outrageous.
Ive also noticed one of the team riders have been winning comps with
them putting to rest that they limit your riding style
I am using a pair of FL 11 freerides and love them ,in and out no
****ing about great if you are into freeriding and not much of a
trickster.