Cylinder Index - big boys with toys

Old October 3rd 03, 10:17 PM
Marsh Jones

Default Cylinder Index - big boys with toys

My boss (a confirmed motorhead) brought up Cylinder Index the other day
- how many internal combustion cylinders you own, counting lawn mowers,
ATVs, cars, boats, etc.
While I definitely yield to him (104 vs. 9), it did get me thinking
about an equivalent in silent, people powered sports. I'd propose maybe
a carbon index - how many sticks of carbon you own, including bike
frames, ski poles, paddles, maybe even golf clubs. Any thoughts?
Memorable counts?

Old October 3rd 03, 11:01 PM
Chris Cline

--0-472454268-1065221914=:30871

I can't think of a comparable fitness index, but it did get me to wondering if there's any correlation between CI and BMI (body mass index)
;- )

Chris

Marsh Jones wrote:
My boss (a confirmed motorhead) brought up Cylinder Index the other day
- how many internal combustion cylinders you own, counting lawn mowers,
ATVs, cars, boats, etc.
While I definitely yield to him (104 vs. 9), it did get me thinking
about an equivalent in silent, people powered sports. I'd propose maybe
a carbon index - how many sticks of carbon you own, including bike
frames, ski poles, paddles, maybe even golf clubs. Any thoughts?
Memorable counts?

--0-472454268-1065221914=:30871

DIVI can't think of a comparable fitness index, but it did get me to wondering if there's any correlation between CI and BMI (body mass index) /DIV
DIV;- )/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChrisBRBRBIMarsh Jones >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"My boss (a confirmed motorhead) brought up Cylinder Index the other day BR- how many internal combustion cylinders you own, counting lawn mowers, BRATVs, cars, boats, etc.BRWhile I definitely yield to him (104 vs. 9), it did get me thinking BRabout an equivalent in silent, people powered sports. I'd propose maybe BRa carbon index - how many sticks of carbon you own, including bike BRframes, ski poles, paddles, maybe even golf clubs. Any thoughts? BRMemorable counts?BRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://shopping.yahoo.com/?__yltc=s%3A150000443%2Cd%3A22708228%2Cslk%3Atext% 2Csec%3Amail"The New Yahoo! Shopping/a - with improved product search
--0-472454268-1065221914=:30871--

Old October 3rd 03, 11:12 PM
Edward Dike, III

"Marsh Jones" wrote in message
| My boss (a confirmed motorhead) brought up Cylinder Index the other day
| - how many internal combustion cylinders you own, counting lawn mowers,
| ATVs, cars, boats, etc.
| While I definitely yield to him (104 vs. 9), it did get me thinking
| about an equivalent in silent, people powered sports. I'd propose maybe
| a carbon index - how many sticks of carbon you own, including bike
| frames, ski poles, paddles, maybe even golf clubs. Any thoughts?
| Memorable counts?

The cylinder index is the creation The Joe Souchery Radio Show
http://www.garagelogic.com/ica.htm

My first thoughts about a 'people powered' index a
-it needs to be broader than Carbon.
-that if taken beyond 'propulsive devices'(....skis, bike wheels, skates,
running shoes, paddles, snowshoes, etc) it would get complex, inflated, and
meaningless

Of course, my opinion has nothing to do with the fact that I don't golf, and
my bikes are steel, and Ti.

.....so perhaps start by adding up bike wheels, skates(ice/ inline; each pair
equal 2), same for paddles, footwear: 2pts/pair, skis- ....(perhaps skis
should be 1point/pair, and boots 1pt/pr)....divide the total by 2(or not)
I could do well at this as I am inclined not to throw anything out.
ED3

Old October 3rd 03, 11:39 PM
George Cleveland

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 22:17:31 GMT, Marsh Jones
wrote:

My boss (a confirmed motorhead) brought up Cylinder Index the other day
- how many internal combustion cylinders you own, counting lawn mowers,
ATVs, cars, boats, etc.
While I definitely yield to him (104 vs. 9), it did get me thinking
about an equivalent in silent, people powered sports. I'd propose maybe
a carbon index - how many sticks of carbon you own, including bike
frames, ski poles, paddles, maybe even golf clubs. Any thoughts?
Memorable counts?

8 graphite fly rods
6 pairs of ski poles
4 pairs of skis
What are "golf clubs"?

g.c.
Whose paddles are built from wood, canoe from royalex, fliy lines from plastic-
all of which contain carbon mixed witha little hydrogen and oxygen.
Old October 4th 03, 12:28 AM
GR

Sticks of carbon for me = 0 (but I am glad you let me read and post here
anyway)
Propulsive devices 6 misc and maybe 12 pr skis (only 2 decent ones though),
the rest are for rocks or to give to newbies.
gr

Old October 4th 03, 03:32 AM
Serge

Hey, that's not fair! (my bike is titanium)

How about a wheel index - you can count single ski as a wheel, so is
pole.

Let's see...

My road bike, my wife's bike, tandem, my son's bike (I bought it, but
no longer
own it though), my skates, wife's skates (all 5 wheel), my rollerski
and poles,
snow ski + poles, my wife's ski + poles, tandem kayak with paddles
(yes, that's a wheel too)-2 paddles, power waking poles -1 pair,
mountain bike.

Hmmm.. that is 50 - still a long way to go.

Let's see.. old skates -8, my computer chair - 5 wheels

still not enough...
Old October 4th 03, 01:51 PM
Serge

What are "golf clubs"?

Golf clubs are sticks you hit the ball with to drive it to
the hole if you lack the intelligence to
train your dog to do so.
Old October 4th 03, 04:57 PM
Bob May

Maybe it should be clothing based.

How many articles of clothing do you own made from Lycra, Spandex,
Gore-Tex, Neoprene, Polypropylene.

In fact, if you include the correct fabrics, you could take this index
way beyond sports.....

Old October 4th 03, 06:58 PM
Bob

IC cylinders:
59 (car, truck, 2 motorcycles, lawn tractor, 2 outboards, 2 weed-whackers,
chainsaw, generator, and 24 R/C airplane engines)

Carbon sticks: 74
8 fly rods
48 arrows
12 golf clubs