Best light touring skis?

Old December 6th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Default Best light touring skis?

I suggest the Fischer AirCore Touring Light from the early 1990's.

Does anyone know this ski?

(Something like 58-53-55, weight 1 lb 12 oz per ski with binding,
double camber. WOODcore plus air-stuff. Mine withstood 15 years of
abuse.)

Anything out there similar?

If so, I want it!

What should a great light touring ski be?

*light, lively, double-camber, quite wide, waxable, durable, enough
width to float but not too much for tracks

A ski that is 54 in the tip really doesn't float AT ALL in ungroomed
or mixed conditions. It'll work, sure, but is far inferior to a 60.
Yet a 60 works dandy in skied-in trails and pretty darn good in
groomed trails. The 54 would be better in groomed trails.

I recall the Europa 99 being 63 in tip---it would surely float. My
good floating woodies are 63. They still fit trails nicely---I don't
know about set tracks.

It seems as though the mass of light touring skis (by Fischer anyway)
are made at 54---the Fibres. Great for set tracks. Where is the MASS
of skiing done? I suspect in self-tracked, skied-in conditions.
Chopped-up stuff. Walked-on multi-use trails. Those skis aren't so hot
for that. But probably those in the know know that I'm wrong---they
must have data pointing to groomed skiing as most often done.
Old December 6th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

PS: Whew, I didn't even touch on the new mid-length skis concept. How
do they work for skied-in homebrew trails? Or ungroomed skiing? ---
Say, if you head out over a golf course. Or a walked-in trail.

Are there some situations where they're better than full-length skis?

If not, it seems their whole benefit might be that they work better
for unskilled skiers. But isn't skiing fairly easy? If someone skis on
local snow a dozen times---will they be good enough at that point that
they'd notice they were being held back by shorter skis? Such a ski
should be called an intro ski. But from what I hear there aren't many
full-length skis now being offered.

I suppose it's the same conundrum as waxable skis vs. nowax.

Hightech skis beat wood skis because they work better in common
conditions. That's the standard for advancement.

What field excels when they cater to beginners in a way that holds
back enthusiasts?

(Wild speculation here, of course.)

--JP
oyb