US lift & Ski Schol Pricing horrendous.

Old September 5th 03, 01:23 AM
Iain Miller

Default US lift & Ski Schol Pricing horrendous.

Was thinking about going to Heavenly (Lake Tahoe) Late Dec/Early Jan (added
on to a visit to my in-laws in Southern California over Xmas) so I've been
working out a few figures. Two 5 day adult lift passes and two kids in Ski
School for 5 days it will cost over $1550 - well over £1000.

Add to that the cost of ski hire (for the adults) accomodation, food,
travel etc etc & I think they can keep it.

The cost of the equivalent (Lift passes & Ski school) in Austria is a bit
more than half that figure. I checked Squaw & Mammoth & their prices seem to
be no better.

Skiing in the States is just getting too expensive - seemingly bordering on
a rip off in comparison to European prices - unless anyone can recommend a
cheaper way ......

I.

Old September 5th 03, 02:57 AM
Terry Morse

Iain Miller wrote:

Was thinking about going to Heavenly (Lake Tahoe) Late Dec/Early Jan (added
on to a visit to my in-laws in Southern California over Xmas) so I've been
working out a few figures. Two 5 day adult lift passes and two kids in Ski
School for 5 days it will cost over $1550 - well over £1000.

A "slightly restricted" season pass to Heavenly is $299, which
includes 5 additional lift tickets to Vail Inc's Colorado areas.
Assuming just seven days of skiing at Heavenly, that's less than $25
per lift ticket.

The "blackout" dates for the season pass are the holidays, which
includes the week after Christmas. The non-restricted pass is $498.

http://www.skiheavenly.com/skiing_ri...ft/seasonpass/
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/
Old September 5th 03, 07:36 AM
Iain Miller

"Terry Morse" wrote in message
Iain Miller wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that, the figures I had for a 5 day pass were actually slightly
lower than these - its the $500+ for each of the kids in Ski school thats
the killer!

Also your maths is a bit off ;-). A $300 pass would equate to $25 a day for
12 days use. For the 5 days we want its $60 a day. By comparison, a 5 day
pass in Austria is almost exactly half the price.

rgds

I.

Old September 5th 03, 01:15 PM
Johannes

Hi

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 02:23:04 +0100, "Iain Miller"
wrote:

Skiing in the States is just getting too expensive - seemingly bordering on
a rip off in comparison to European prices - unless anyone can recommend a
cheaper way ......

Differnt is: at the US ski the rich, at europe the masses.
I made Last Season a daytrip to Zermatt. (Iwas at resort nearby). I
hear a US Boy talking with someone. He said this trip to Zermatt is
cheaper than a trip to Colorado. And Zermatt is one of the expensivst
resort at Switzerland.

Johannes Müller
Old September 5th 03, 03:20 PM
terry morse

"Iain Miller" wrote in message ...
"Terry Morse" wrote:

A "slightly restricted" season pass to Heavenly is $299, which
includes 5 additional lift tickets to Vail Inc's Colorado areas.
Assuming just seven days of skiing at Heavenly, that's less than $25
per lift ticket.

Thanks for that, the figures I had for a 5 day pass were actually slightly
lower than these - its the $500+ for each of the kids in Ski school thats
the killer!

All day ski school can be expensive.

Also your maths is a bit off ;-). A $300 pass would equate to $25 a day for
12 days use.

Actually, it's $299 for 12 days, or $24.92 per day.

For the 5 days we want its $60 a day. By comparison, a 5 day
pass in Austria is almost exactly half the price.

No doubt about it, Austria is cheaper. Even Alta, UT is $42 per day.
If you're looking for inexpensive skiing in the Tahoe area, bookmark
this web page:

http://www.slidingonthecheap.com/deals/

This is the bible for lift ticket discounts. I ski at Sugar Bowl and
never pay more than $35 per day.
Old September 6th 03, 02:29 AM
Iain Miller

A "slightly restricted" season pass to Heavenly is $299, which
includes 5 additional lift tickets to Vail Inc's Colorado areas.
Assuming just seven days of skiing at Heavenly, that's less than $25
per lift ticket.

Thanks for that, the figures I had for a 5 day pass were actually

slightly
lower than these - its the $500+ for each of the kids in Ski school

thats
the killer!

All day ski school can be expensive.

So it seems - but I don't see why it should be nearly 3 times the price it
is in Europe.

If you're looking for inexpensive skiing in the Tahoe area, bookmark
this web page:

http://www.slidingonthecheap.com/deals/

Thanks for that - there isn't anything on there for 2003/4 yet & besides,
most of the "offers" tend to exlude the holiday periods

When you add it all up & add in Accomodation, food & Adult ski hire, 5 days
skiing at Heavenly would cost something approaching $3000 for a family of
4 - which is way way too expensive & doesn't include any travelling costs.

rgds

I.

Old September 6th 03, 08:19 AM
InMyTree

Lift tickets and probably lessons (I've never take them so I don't really
know) are more expensive in the US, however, equivilant class accomodation
and price for other things such as ski hire or just general expenses seem to
be a lot lower.. overall, a week's package ski holiday in the US only works
out slightly more than a weeks holiday to Austria (from the UK).. not bad
going really..

Old September 7th 03, 07:26 AM
Iain Miller

Thought about Western Canada at all? Just a few hours from South Cali by
plane. Remember to convert from Canadian $, its much cheaper.

http://www.silverstarmtn.com/

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com

http://www.skifernie.com/

Avoid Whistler or Banff, same as the US, expensive and crowded.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a look but it may price itself out on the cost
of actually getting there from Sothern California

To recap we will be staying with my in-laws in Sothern California. The
ridiculous fact is that it would be more expensive for us to drive up to
Tahoe or Mamoth (using a borrowed vehicle so only paying for Gas) & stay for
6 nights and ski for 5 days than it would be to take a completely seperate
trip to Austria for a week later on in the season (including flights from
the UK etc).

I.

Old September 7th 03, 05:21 PM
n g

Iain Miller wrote in message
Thanks for that, I'll give it a look but it may price itself out on the

cost
of actually getting there from Sothern California

To recap we will be staying with my in-laws in Sothern California. The
ridiculous fact is that it would be more expensive for us to drive up to
Tahoe or Mamoth (using a borrowed vehicle so only paying for Gas) & stay

for
6 nights and ski for 5 days than it would be to take a completely

seperate
trip to Austria for a week later on in the season (including flights from
the UK etc).

Stupid, isn't it? And they still don't understand why skier days are down...

Get your inlaws to check what travel packages are available to BC. You can
fly to a major airport like Kelowna or Kamloops and get a resort shuttle to
the mountain in most cases. I ride the lift almost everyday with someone
from Washington state or thereabouts who tells me its cheaper (and better)
to ski & stay in BC than it is to ski at home.