Vail vs. Beaver Creek

Old October 14th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
DZN

Default Vail vs. Beaver Creek

Bought a season pass to Vail this year when I realized that it was cheaper
than buying any other way for the two vacations I booked, one at the
beginning of Jan and one at the end. Thinking going back in March.
Question: since the pass is good at Beaver Creek is that a good alternative.
My preferences are for walk on walk off and prefer not too expensive and
don't care if its fancy/luxurious. I ski blues and single diamonds, never
expert runs. I really like Vail and wouldn't be tired of it but thought
Beaver Creek might be nice but don't know anything about. Can someone give
me a comparison of the two places.

Thanks.

Old October 15th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
David Spencer

"DZN" writes:

I ski blues and single diamonds, never expert runs. I really like
Vail and wouldn't be tired of it but thought Beaver Creek might be
nice but don't know anything about. Can someone give me a comparison
of the two places.

Beaver Creek is designed for you. Acres and acres of blue. The
blacks are just steep, treed or ungroomed blues. You would probably
even enjoy most of the double-blacks, if it has snowed recently.
There are lots of long runs.

You probably wouldn't enjoy Birds of Prey.

At peak times, Beaver Creek is much less crowded than Vail. Lift
lines are almost nonexistant compared to Vail. Skiiers and boarders
are more likely to know their level and respect it; you don't have to
constantly dodge idiots and the boarders generally haven't scraped off
all the good powder and bumps.

Outstanding instruction for intermediate skiiers.

Accomodations and food are higher-class and more expensive than Vail.
Avon is nearby and has more affordable bread and board.

I'm an Alta/Big Sky/Jackson Hole powder-and-trees skiier, but I
enjoyed Beaver Creek. One nice family element is that an expert can
ski with intermediates or even novices; there are trees and ungreoomed
to the side of most of the groomers.

--
dhs

Old October 16th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2008-10-14, DZN penned:
Bought a season pass to Vail this year when I realized that it was cheaper
than buying any other way for the two vacations I booked, one at the
beginning of Jan and one at the end. Thinking going back in March.
Question: since the pass is good at Beaver Creek is that a good alternative.
My preferences are for walk on walk off and prefer not too expensive and
don't care if its fancy/luxurious. I ski blues and single diamonds, never
expert runs. I really like Vail and wouldn't be tired of it but thought
Beaver Creek might be nice but don't know anything about. Can someone give
me a comparison of the two places.

I like Beaver Creek a lot. It's expensive, but then, so is Vail.

What do you like about Vail? What parts of Vail do you tend to ski
when you're there?

I may be having a mental glitch, but I don't know what you mean by
"walk on walk off." I'm also not sure if by expensive, fancy, and
luxurious, you mean the ski area or the place you're staying. I'm not
sure if you're assuming that you will stay at a hotel right in the
resort, right by the lifts, or if you are willing to ride a bus for a
few minutes in order to stay at a cheaper hotel / motel.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old October 16th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
DZN

Thanks.

Your reply reminds me of one nice thing at Whistler. They don't groom the
edge of a couple of green/family runs. While they are relatively flat they
do get a bit bumpy since they aren't groomed and it makes it a bit less
boring to ski with children/beginners in your group.