Aspen area- any recommendations?

Old January 9th 06, 03:11 AM

Default Aspen area- any recommendations?

I was curious to see if you folks on rsa had any recommendations about what
mountains to go to in Aspen.

I will be in Aspen at the end of January. My friend invited me to spend a
week at her house so choosing where to go this year was a no brainer. My
wife is an intermediate skier and I am an intermediate snowboarder
(intermediate meaning all blues and most blacks?). I know the xgames are
going to be going on at the same time I am going to be there- Snowmass? so I
guess I should stay away from that particular mountain. However, I hear the
other mountains are going to be empty because everyone will be at the
xgames. Is this true?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Old January 9th 06, 01:57 PM

http://www.skipressworld.com/us/en/d...l?cat=E vents
reports that

"All Winter X Games VIII events will be held at Buttermilk, an
Aspen/Snowmass area mountain. There are four ski areas in the Aspen/Snowmass
area - Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk - all
operated by Aspen Skiing Company."

While Snowmass has lots of expert terrain, IMHO, Snowmass has the best blue
cruisers in the world. Aspen Mountain (Ajax) and Aspen Highlands are
tougher than Snowmass, and are a bit smaller, but you should try those as
well.

Ernie

Old January 9th 06, 07:52 PM

In article ,
Howlee wrote:

I will be in Aspen at the end of January. My friend invited me to spend a

Bummer. The hottest Acid Jazz Hip Hop Jam band in North America is playing
Aspen this weekend. Liquid Soul. Guess that's a Texas thing...day late and
a dollar short. But you can tell your friends you skied Aspen...
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 11th 06, 12:26 PM

Without a doubt Snowmass is the best intermediate mountain of the 4. An
intermediate could ski there everyday for 2 weeks and not get bored. Its
also huge; so, there are never lift lines. The X Games are at Buttermilk so
that you ought avoid that.