Skiing vs snowboarding

Old February 15th 04, 01:46 AM
Carl verge

Default Skiing vs snowboarding

Hello, I have a question, I've been skiing for about 18 years now and
everybody is talking about snowboarding? I'm just wandering if somebody
could share their experience with me on the transition....

Old February 15th 04, 06:12 AM
Spiff

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 02:46:55 GMT, "Carl verge"
wrote:

Hello, I have a question, I've been skiing for about 18 years now and
everybody is talking about snowboarding? I'm just wandering if somebody
could share their experience with me on the transition....

From what hard core skiers have told me, its tougher to go from being
a great skier(ie you get to the slopes 10+ times a season) to learning
to snowboard...I used to think i was a pretty good skier, until my
second full day of snowboarding..Then i realized just how crappy a
skier i really was...haha

Spiff

Old February 15th 04, 02:06 PM
Joseph Blanchard

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
news:slrnc2uqoq.gku.idontreadthis@yahoobb220004112 021.bbtec.net...
wrote:

Hello, I have a question, I've been skiing for about 18 years now and
everybody is talking about snowboarding? I'm just wandering if somebody
could share their experience with me on the transition....

From what hard core skiers have told me, its tougher to go from being
a great skier(ie you get to the slopes 10+ times a season) to learning
to snowboard...I used to think i was a pretty good skier, until my
second full day of snowboarding..Then i realized just how crappy a
skier i really was...haha

To contradict this, I was a very strong skier, with about 20 years
experience, and I found that snowboarding was very easy to learn. By
the afternoon of my first day I was linking fairly nice turns down
blue runs, and even getting a fair bit of rebound out of the turns.

I think if you have a good understanding about the relationship
between edges, sidecut, unweighting, and snow, then learning to
snowboard will be a fairly simple exercise in knowledge transferal.

Skiing skills are far more transferable to snowboarding than
surfing, skateboarding, or any other sideways-stance sport skills.
It's the understanding of snow and edges that is important.

However, you *will* still fall a lot when learning to snowboard, so
if you're the sort of skier who prides themselves on not falling, you
might be in for a shock.
--
A: Top-posters.
Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

Amen to the last post! At 44, I've skied for almost 35 years and just
completed my first day of snowboarding, and agree that for a skier, it
pretty easy to grasp the concept.

I swallowed my pride and took a lesson, after trying it on my own and by the
middle of the day, was linking turns on a smaller blue slope. I would
strongly recommend the lesson route because the instructor can explain and
demonstrate the basics and spot some flaws that can sometimes carry over
from skiing (like squaring the shoulders to the fall-line).

Although I'm a little sore and definitely not used to falling, it was a
great experience and I'm in as a new snowboarder!

Now looking for some equipment on EBay!

Joe

Old February 15th 04, 03:48 PM
Spiff

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:06:55 GMT, "Joseph Blanchard"
wrote:

I swallowed my pride and took a lesson, after trying it on my own and by the
middle of the day, was linking turns on a smaller blue slope. I would
strongly recommend the lesson route because the instructor can explain and
demonstrate the basics and spot some flaws that can sometimes carry over
from skiing (like squaring the shoulders to the fall-line).

Although I'm a little sore and definitely not used to falling, it was a
great experience and I'm in as a new snowboarder!

Now looking for some equipment on EBay!

Joe

Swallowed your pride huh? Bet you dont regret that one bit...thats how
i learned to snowboard..on a small slope with a bunch of rug
rats....(wasnt too happy bout being in a group of yard apes when i was
supposed to be with adults) but anyways...maybe half way thru the
class i had to ditch them cos they( the little ground pounders) were
retarding my progression...So i took off and jumped on the lift went
right to the top and thats when i discovered that alittle speed is a
snowboarders best friend....
The lessons did help me avoid a lot of hard falls tho..

Spiff

Old February 15th 04, 04:05 PM
Some Dude

Never heard of it.

Snowboarding?

wrote:

Hello, I have a question, I've been skiing for about 18 years now and
everybody is talking about snowboarding? I'm just wandering if somebody
could share their experience with me on the transition....

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Old February 16th 04, 02:56 PM
Riding Wolf

However, you *will* still fall a lot when learning to snowboard, so
if you're the sort of skier who prides themselves on not falling, you
might be in for a shock.

If I haven't fallen all day, I haven't had fun.
Not falling means only doing stuff you can, if you try new things, push your
limits, you're bound to fall.
Experianced baorder or not, falling is part of it.

DaWolf

--
Ride with the wolves, howl like the wind.
Ride with the wind, howl like the wolves.

Ride a Bike,
Ride a Snowboard,
Ride a Motorbike,
but RIDE ON forever!