Sudden end to "life" at Killington

Old November 16th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Sudden end to "life" at Killington

hr(bob) wrote:
On Nov 15, 7:39 am, VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...e?AID=/2007111...
Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie
for a year and THEN pulled the plug. Instead they
came like gangbusters and announced everything they
were going to do to make Killington profitable.

No more freebies anywhere. We don't get "friends and
family" tickets. The company intends to realize
$70 on every lift ticket sold (the price is $76)
Under ASC they realized $49 on every ticket when the
price was $71.

We still get dependent passes and 50% off food and
30% off gear and clothing. Interestingly, we won't
be getting any discount on packaged drinks, including
water. This is an attempt to lessen waste.

How much did skiers pay for the "lifetime" ski passes? Has anyone
seen the actual wording. If they owned the property for two years and
honored the lifetime passes, that may have set some sort of precedent.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

In the 60's, that's a long time ago, Killington
offered the inducement of a "lifetime" season
pass which is transferable (the crux) for the
purchase of a share in the company. This share
probably cost one thousand dollars at the time.

Many people bought several shares. Enough to have
passes for themselves and a few to sell each year
(all legitimately) for a little less than the
going rate for a full (no blackout) season pass.

This was actually a VERY good return on investment.
In fact it was so good that there is now a fight
as the new owners want to turn off the golden
flow. Think about it. A single share for $1000
yields a return of somewhere around a thousand
dollars *per year* for the life of the individual
purchaser.

The later bond passes were different in that they
weren't transferable.

It's interesting. Killington full passes have
always sold for in the neighborhood of $1000.
It's currently $1200 or so for a no blackout
pass.

In the mid-60's I had a share in a ski house
for which the total rent for the whole year
was $1000.

This year the rent for this same house would
have been in the range of $1000 PER MONTH.
This is a 600% increase over the period but
the pass prices have stayed almost the same
for the same period AND the area facilities
have improved immeasurably.

Skiing isn't expensive, rooms and meals at a
ski area are expensive.
Old November 16th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

VtSkier wrote:
This year the rent for this same house would
have been in the range of $1000 PER MONTH.

To rent a room in an apartment (a room) in Park City for the ski season is
around $700 a month.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old November 17th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Nov 15, 5:39 am, VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...e?AID=/2007111...

Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie
for a year and THEN pulled the plug. Instead they
came like gangbusters and announced everything they
were going to do to make Killington profitable.

No more freebies anywhere. We don't get "friends and
family" tickets. The company intends to realize
$70 on every lift ticket sold (the price is $76)
Under ASC they realized $49 on every ticket when the
price was $71.

We still get dependent passes and 50% off food and
30% off gear and clothing. Interestingly, we won't
be getting any discount on packaged drinks, including
water. This is an attempt to lessen waste.

They want to lessen waste, they should throw your stalking cowardly
ass off the hill: you are a waste of space on the planet.
Welcome to POWDR. Most unethical and dishonest ski company I've ever
run across, a true bunch of scumbags. I'll never give those assholes
another dollar. Not that it is much of a loss: I miss Bachelor, but
Pork ****ty is Texan Central and they run it like a ****ing circus.
Old November 17th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Nov 16, 2:21 am, "ant" wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...e?AID=/2007111...

Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie
for a year and THEN pulled the plug.

POWDR Corp has got Killington? My condolances. I worked for them for 2 years
(POWDR, not Killington).

Who you working for now, ****? I want to share your history with the
poor *******s you abuse.
Old November 17th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Nov 16, 4:31 pm, "ant" wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
This year the rent for this same house would
have been in the range of $1000 PER MONTH.

To rent a room in an apartment (a room) in Park City for the ski season is
around $700 a month.

Park City? Kewl. I know people at every mountain. Kiss your fat ass
goodbye.
Old November 17th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

ant wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
"We'd rather have fewer skiers spending more money."

In my experience, they want more skiiers spending more money. And then all
their lifts break down.

Of course. You can't spend money while you're on the lift, can you?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old November 17th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

The Real Bev wrote:
ant wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
"We'd rather have fewer skiers spending more money."

In my experience, they want more skiiers spending more money. And
then all their lifts break down.

Of course. You can't spend money while you're on the lift, can you?

And they didn't even give them hot chocolate vouchers when they roped them
down!

They were calling us Brokelift Mountain there for a while.

Old November 17th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:31:57 +1100, "ant" wrote
this crap:

VtSkier wrote:
This year the rent for this same house would
have been in the range of $1000 PER MONTH.

To rent a room in an apartment (a room) in Park City for the ski season is
around $700 a month.

That's awfull cheap.. When I stayed at Park City, my brothers and I
paid 1600 for a week at a nice condo.

Go Buckeyes!

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old November 17th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:02:37 -0800 (PST), wrote
this crap:

Park City? Kewl. I know people at every mountain. Kiss your fat ass
goodbye.

Do they stop in at your soup kitchen?