Sudden end to "life" at Killington

Old November 15th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Sudden end to "life" at Killington

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...711140315/1009
Old November 15th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...711140315/1009

Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie
for a year and THEN pulled the plug. Instead they
came like gangbusters and announced everything they
were going to do to make Killington profitable.

No more freebies anywhere. We don't get "friends and
family" tickets. The company intends to realize
$70 on every lift ticket sold (the price is $76)
Under ASC they realized $49 on every ticket when the
price was $71.

We still get dependent passes and 50% off food and
30% off gear and clothing. Interestingly, we won't
be getting any discount on packaged drinks, including
water. This is an attempt to lessen waste.
Old November 15th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Nov 15, 5:39 am, VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...e?AID=/2007111...

Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie
for a year and THEN pulled the plug. Instead they
came like gangbusters and announced everything they
were going to do to make Killington profitable.

No more freebies anywhere. We don't get "friends and
family" tickets. The company intends to realize
$70 on every lift ticket sold (the price is $76)
Under ASC they realized $49 on every ticket when the
price was $71.

We still get dependent passes and 50% off food and
30% off gear and clothing. Interestingly, we won't
be getting any discount on packaged drinks, including
water. This is an attempt to lessen waste.

It seems like they are taking immediate steps to reduce liftlines.
Old November 15th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...e?AID=/2007111...

Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie
for a year and THEN pulled the plug. Instead they
came like gangbusters and announced everything they
were going to do to make Killington profitable.

No more freebies anywhere. We don't get "friends and
family" tickets. The company intends to realize
$70 on every lift ticket sold (the price is $76)
Under ASC they realized $49 on every ticket when the
price was $71.

We still get dependent passes and 50% off food and
30% off gear and clothing. Interestingly, we won't
be getting any discount on packaged drinks, including
water. This is an attempt to lessen waste.

It seems like they are taking immediate steps to reduce liftlines.

They have said as much. Clearing out the riff-raff
don't you know.

"We'd rather have fewer skiers spending more money."
Old November 15th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

On Nov 15, 11:09 am, VtSkier wrote:

"We'd rather have fewer skiers spending more money."- Hide quoted text -

Ahhhhh. The snowboarder effect is taking hold. I knew it was a matter
of time. I just thought it would take a little longer.
Old November 15th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...711140315/1009

Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie

Welcome to the world of POWDR Corp.

Alpine regulars (the ones left) were ever so happy to get rid of them.
POWDR just about drove off all their regular customers and didn't
replace them with new. At least the lines were shorter every year of
their ownership. I stuck it out because they can't change the mountain,
and it's a dam nice skier's mountain.

It's no wonder they didn't make enough money to want to keep the place.
(FWIW, Alpine was a moneymaker before POWDR.)

I hope they learned something from the experience of owning Alpine, and
don't completely wreak Killington.
Old November 15th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...711140315/1009

Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie

More thinking out loud ...

Alpine Meadows doesn't own (most of) the mountain - it's forest service
land. So the new owners bought the skiing, not the property (except for
the buildings) so I wonder where they stand legally if they try to pull
a stunt like POWDR.

I went over to the AM mountain a couple of months ago and they say the
old timer staff that made it through the dark days i.e. pro patrol, etc
is staying on. So that's good news.
Old November 16th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
hr(bob) [email protected]

On Nov 15, 7:39 am, VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...e?AID=/2007111...

Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie
for a year and THEN pulled the plug. Instead they
came like gangbusters and announced everything they
were going to do to make Killington profitable.

No more freebies anywhere. We don't get "friends and
family" tickets. The company intends to realize
$70 on every lift ticket sold (the price is $76)
Under ASC they realized $49 on every ticket when the
price was $71.

We still get dependent passes and 50% off food and
30% off gear and clothing. Interestingly, we won't
be getting any discount on packaged drinks, including
water. This is an attempt to lessen waste.

How much did skiers pay for the "lifetime" ski passes? Has anyone
seen the actual wording. If they owned the property for two years and
honored the lifetime passes, that may have set some sort of precedent.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann
Old November 16th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

VtSkier wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...711140315/1009

Oh, yeah. I think POWDR should have let this lie
for a year and THEN pulled the plug.

POWDR Corp has got Killington? My condolances. I worked for them for 2 years
(POWDR, not Killington).

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old November 16th 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

VtSkier wrote:
"We'd rather have fewer skiers spending more money."

In my experience, they want more skiiers spending more money. And then all
their lifts break down.