Can I set my own bindings?

Old February 20th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Can I set my own bindings?

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

ENERGY = FORCE applied to an object yet it doesn't move.

No, ENERGY is not the same thing as FORCE.

I didn't say it was...

You see, this is why we are having trouble communicating. When I see
the equals sign it means something specific to me, i.e. the things on
either side of it are the same.

Obviously, it means something different to you.

Likewise, the terms FORCE ENERGY TORQUE etc have very specific meanings
to me, but you are bandying about these terms without regard to their
standard meaning in physics - that makes it rather hard to have a
discussion.

Actually I'm trying to understand the physics/mechanics meanings of
the words. I'd like to call your attention again to the last URL I
posted with its explanations of WORK and ENERGY. You keep erasing
the URL without commenting on it. It would be helpful to me if
you did comment on it. It will also clarify what I was getting at
in the part of the post you did leave.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/work.html

It's like trying to parse something like "I had my bindings waxed and
now the moguls don't hurt my feet when I schuss across the hill in a
parallel stem-christie wedge turn."

It's hard to follow what the heck the person is on about.

//walt

Old February 21st 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:

We don't have it because we don't need it.

Maybe we don't, but it would be helpful.

OOOOh! Hight School Mechanics! (yawn)
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 21st 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Walt wrote:

You see, this is why we are having trouble communicating. When I see
the equals sign it means something specific to me, i.e. the things on
either side of it are the same.

I think you are having trouble communicating because you both are a little
slow.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 21st 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

[...]

He doesn't need to comment on it, because you are misinterpreting it.

It's like trying to parse something like "I had my bindings waxed and
now the moguls don't hurt my feet when I schuss across the hill in a
parallel stem-christie wedge turn."

It's hard to follow what the heck the person is on about.

//walt

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone and how he missed
Old February 21st 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

(snip)

Actually I'm trying to understand the physics/mechanics meanings of
the words. I'd like to call your attention again to the last URL I
posted with its explanations of WORK and ENERGY. You keep erasing
the URL without commenting on it. It would be helpful to me if
you did comment on it. It will also clarify what I was getting at
in the part of the post you did leave.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/work.html

He doesn't need to comment on it, because you are misinterpreting it.

a) did you read it?

b) I asked Walt to comment on it. If he does so, he
can set me straight.

(snip)
Old February 21st 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

(snip)

Actually I'm trying to understand the physics/mechanics meanings of
the words. I'd like to call your attention again to the last URL I
posted with its explanations of WORK and ENERGY. You keep erasing
the URL without commenting on it. It would be helpful to me if
you did comment on it. It will also clarify what I was getting at
in the part of the post you did leave.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/work.html

He doesn't need to comment on it, because you are misinterpreting it.

a) did you read it?

I didn't have to. You read it as indicating that force without movement
expends energy.

Old February 21st 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

a) did you read it?

I did. Look, this is only my experience. I have my bindings professionally
adjusted. My guy has an expensive tool that measures torque and force. I
want to catch air and not have a premature release. When I turned 50, they
turned my DIN down a notch. I have knees that work. I like walking. I've
trusted this guy with my binding adjustment for 30 years, since he moved
to Wyoming. I don't have a cute tool to measure my binding function. He
makes sure they work exceptionally well.

I've seen young guys on crutches who turned up their DIN and paid a dear
orthopedic price for that. So answering the subject header, yes you can
adjust your own bindings. I don't and I just told you why. The whole
"Work", "Force", "Kinetic v. Potential Energy" thing really isn't relevant
to binding function. You can't adjust bindings correctly with a torque
wrench in the garage. Pro's have the tools to do the job right.

Maybe Walt wants to come out and play on the subject of Elastic Energy
Storage in snowpacks inclined from 30 to 45 degrees.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 21st 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Alan Baker wrote:

I didn't have to. You read it as indicating that force without movement
expends energy.

Mass X Acceleration = Force (Newton) Let's see if Walt wants to come out
and play. Does the Kinetic Energy of a hard slab in a snowpack inclined at
43 degrees increase as its elasticity diminishes?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 21st 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:

Mass X Acceleration = Force (Newton)

Correction. Only for constant mass. Otherwise it is F = d/dt(mv).

Let's see if Walt wants to come out
and play. Does the Kinetic Energy of a hard slab in a snowpack inclined at
43 degrees increase as its elasticity diminishes?

No.

-klaus