Where are pretty and groomed steeps

Old August 19th 05, 01:56 PM
DZN

Default Where are pretty and groomed steeps

What can I say, I like groomed runs. Don't need powder, don't like bumps.
But I'm tired of being on blue angle runs. On the East Coast I often end up
at Mount Snow which has the North Face which has a bunch of groomers but
they are not too long and all kind of look the same. I go out to Snowmass
each year which is almost all blue runs and the few single diamond runs are
rarely groomed (and the truly steep are never groomed). I know of one place
in Quebec that has pretty winding steeper through the trees (but not tightly
packed trees) where the runs are groomed every couple of days and that's
great. But I'd like to find another one. Hopefully one in the Northeast
and one out west.

Any ideas?

Old August 19th 05, 02:38 PM
VtSkier

DZN wrote:
What can I say, I like groomed runs. Don't need powder, don't like bumps.
But I'm tired of being on blue angle runs. On the East Coast I often end up
at Mount Snow which has the North Face which has a bunch of groomers but
they are not too long and all kind of look the same. I go out to Snowmass
each year which is almost all blue runs and the few single diamond runs are
rarely groomed (and the truly steep are never groomed). I know of one place
in Quebec that has pretty winding steeper through the trees (but not tightly
packed trees) where the runs are groomed every couple of days and that's
great. But I'd like to find another one. Hopefully one in the Northeast
and one out west.

Any ideas?

Learn to deal. But seriously, you are limiting your experience.
Take a few lessons. Let some really upper level instructor
(a great teacher, not necessarily anything other than a
truly competent skier) give you the tools to enjoy bumps,
ice, trees, steeps and a combination thereof and enjoy.
Old August 19th 05, 03:24 PM
Richard Henry

"DZN" wrote in message
What can I say, I like groomed runs. Don't need powder, don't like bumps.
But I'm tired of being on blue angle runs. On the East Coast I often end

up
at Mount Snow which has the North Face which has a bunch of groomers but
they are not too long and all kind of look the same. I go out to Snowmass
each year which is almost all blue runs and the few single diamond runs

are
rarely groomed (and the truly steep are never groomed). I know of one

place
in Quebec that has pretty winding steeper through the trees (but not

tightly
packed trees) where the runs are groomed every couple of days and that's
great. But I'd like to find another one. Hopefully one in the Northeast
and one out west.

Mammoth has some nice, long, pretty blues, usually well groomed. You can
take the tram to the top, for instance, and follow the cat track all the way
around the mountain back to the main lodge, or take some of the short-cut
possibilities along the way.

Old August 19th 05, 08:16 PM
bdubya

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:56:50 GMT, "DZN"
wrote:

What can I say, I like groomed runs. Don't need powder, don't like bumps.
But I'm tired of being on blue angle runs. On the East Coast I often end up
at Mount Snow which has the North Face which has a bunch of groomers but
they are not too long and all kind of look the same. I go out to Snowmass
each year which is almost all blue runs and the few single diamond runs are
rarely groomed (and the truly steep are never groomed). I know of one place
in Quebec that has pretty winding steeper through the trees (but not tightly
packed trees) where the runs are groomed every couple of days and that's
great. But I'd like to find another one. Hopefully one in the Northeast
and one out west.

Any ideas?

The Mayflower and Sultan lifts at Deer Valley come to mind. They
serve some terrain which could fairly be called "steep", and is
unquestionably "groomed".

bw
Old August 20th 05, 11:36 AM
ant

Keystone excelled in steep groomers. most were "blue", but at many hills
those gradients would be black. There was a blue/black called Go Devil which
they used for racing, which was steep enough to make my toes curl when it
was groomed (and it usually was). Only time I liked skiing it was after
fresh snowfall before they wrecked it.

--
ant

Old August 21st 05, 01:03 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

"DZN" wrote:

What can I say, I like groomed runs. ... I'd like to find another one.
Hopefully one in the Northeast and one out west.
Any ideas?

Nothing can match the (wind) groomed steeps of Breck. There is nothing like them:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Pow...1054-full.html

Mike...

--
See my ski photography at http://PowderDay.us
Carpe Powder-diem
Old August 21st 05, 02:26 AM
Dave Stallard

DZN wrote:
[...]

Regulator Johnson at Snowbird is often groomed, and is pretty steep
(though I know Bob Thompson doesn't think so . At Telluride,
there's the Plunge, which is split-groomed, and and plenty steep.

In the east, there's always White Heat at Sunday River in Maine.

Dave
Old August 21st 05, 05:04 PM

I have seen Prima and Blue Ox groomed at Vail, but this is obviously a
rare event. They seem to be keeping one side of Tourist Trap groomed,
but this is a short run.

Many of the ski areas publish daily grooming reports. For the larger
areas, you can probably find one of the bump runs groomed on any given
day.

Old August 26th 05, 05:53 AM
Gnarlito

When there's snow, Warm Springs and Graduate at Sun Valley. Beaver
Creek has some nice steep and smooth stuff also.

Old August 27th 05, 11:13 AM
Jay Pique

Gnarlito wrote:
When there's snow, Warm Springs and Graduate at Sun Valley. Beaver
Creek has some nice steep and smooth stuff also.

I too was going to mention Beaver Creek, and Deer Valley.

JP
Sticking to the groomers lately.