"Powder" magazine.

Old November 24th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Default "Powder" magazine.

This used to be a great magazine. Beautiful pictures, interesting
articles about the culture of people who give up a more traditional
life for skiing...

....Now it's just a ski version of "Snowboarding" and "Transworld
Snowboarding".

....Talk of "hitting the park" and "ripping it off a kicker". SO
lame.

It's just disappointing I guess.
Old November 24th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard

Yabahoobs wrote:
This used to be a great magazine. Beautiful pictures, interesting
articles about the culture of people who give up a more traditional
life for skiing...

...Now it's just a ski version of "Snowboarding" and "Transworld
Snowboarding".

...Talk of "hitting the park" and "ripping it off a kicker". SO
lame.

You know, that was my complaint about this year's Warren Miller film,
too. Too much terrain park trick skiing and 13 year old halfpipe
Wunderkinden. Yuck. I kept looking at my watch and asking "are we done
yet?". Then it was intermission time, and I couldn't believe it. "Oh,
I forgot these things had an intermission. Yikes - that means this is
only half over?!". I walked out into the lobby like everyone else.
And then I kept walking, out of the theater, and went home.

Those movies have really evolved, negatively. They used to show more
touristic ski scenes, things that I could do or could imagine doing.
They would psyche you up. Then they started to move to all big peak
backcountry heli-skiing, skiing that I could never do but would want to
do if I could. And that was OK too. Now they show mainly stupid trick
skiing, **** that I would never want to do even if I could do it. I
think I've seen my last one.

Dave
Old November 24th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_9_]

Dave Stallard wrote:
Now they show mainly stupid
trick skiing, **** that I would never want to do even if I could do
it. I think I've seen my last one.

I used to enjoy the older WMs, which showed a little bit of everything.
They jumped the shark when they stopped doing the chairlift pileups with
commentary!

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old November 24th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Yabahoobs wrote:
This used to be a great magazine. Beautiful pictures, interesting
articles about the culture of people who give up a more traditional
life for skiing...

...Now it's just a ski version of "Snowboarding" and "Transworld
Snowboarding".

...Talk of "hitting the park" and "ripping it off a kicker". SO
lame.

It's just disappointing I guess.

Skiing went the same way. SKI still has (a few) reasonable articles.
Or is it the other way round? I can't remember if I don't have side by
side issues to compare. Maybe having one corporate parent allowed them
to split the market?

Couloir bit the dust, too. Backcountry bought their subscription list
and promised to finish out subscriptions. I'm skeptical - they'll have
to improve fast if they're hoping to keep the former Couloir
subscribers. Right now it's a lame "Skiing mag for tele/AT skiers." Same
commercial BS and standard mag layout. Crapola IYAM.

Interesting development. Since they were near give-aways, I used to get
Ski, Skiing, Powder, and I got Couloir because I actually liked its
content. Next time they come nosing around looking for their pitance,
I'll probably cancel them all.
Old November 26th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Nov 24, 12:35 pm, Yabahoobs wrote:
This used to be a great magazine. Beautiful pictures, interesting
articles about the culture of people who give up a more traditional
life for skiing...

...Now it's just a ski version of "Snowboarding" and "Transworld
Snowboarding".

...Talk of "hitting the park" and "ripping it off a kicker". SO
lame.

It's just disappointing I guess.

What I hate are all the rail slides. I mean if you have seen one, you
have seen them all. Sometimes RSN starts showing rail slide movies,
talk about boring. How many times can you watch someone sliding down
some handrail and what does that have to do with skiing?

snoig
Old November 26th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Nov 26, 8:26 am, snoig wrote:
On Nov 24, 12:35 pm, Yabahoobs wrote:

This used to be a great magazine. Beautiful pictures, interesting
articles about the culture of people who give up a more traditional
life for skiing...

...Now it's just a ski version of "Snowboarding" and "Transworld
Snowboarding".

...Talk of "hitting the park" and "ripping it off a kicker". SO
lame.

It's just disappointing I guess.

What I hate are all the rail slides. I mean if you have seen one, you
have seen them all. Sometimes RSN starts showing rail slide movies,
talk about boring. How many times can you watch someone sliding down
some handrail and what does that have to do with skiing?

snoig

Totally agree. I think Powder is trying to mimic the snowboarding
magz success by moving its content over to more rail slide crap, pipe
bull**** and 'rippin it off a killer kicker, brahhh'.

If anything, those magz succeeded by presenting the image and identity
of snowboarding. I'd like to think Powder could to the same with
skiing...and THAT identity sure as hell isn't sliding down some lame
rail.
Old November 26th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

snoig wrote:

What I hate are all the rail slides. I mean if you have seen one, you
have seen them all. Sometimes RSN starts showing rail slide movies,
talk about boring. How many times can you watch someone sliding down
some handrail and what does that have to do with skiing?

I've never understood the allure of the edge dullers. Why would you
intentionally wreck your bases by scraping over that stuff?

As a spectator sport, I guess it's mildly amusing when someone biffs in
a spectacular manner, but other than that it doesn't hold my attention.

//Walt
Old November 27th 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_9_]

snoig wrote:

What I hate are all the rail slides. I mean if you have seen one, you
have seen them all. Sometimes RSN starts showing rail slide movies,
talk about boring. How many times can you watch someone sliding down
some handrail and what does that have to do with skiing?

Rails are boring at any time. Seriously boring. There was one at PCMR that
was sponsored by some trendy shoe mob and they filled the cavity below the
rail with shoes. That at least made the rail interesting, you could look at
the shoes rather than people sliding along the rail.

I'd rather watch people doing tricks off kickers and in the pipe any day.

The only time rails are entertaining is when some kiddie is sliding and has
to make a wild grab for his trousers as they suddenly head south. Always
gets a cheer.