Speedometer

Old December 28th 03, 01:02 PM
Peter

Default Speedometer

Hi all,

does anyone know if there are any snowboard speedometers?

Greeeezzz
The ultimate radical snowdude

Old December 28th 03, 04:31 PM
Jörg Fischer

Peter schrieb:

Hi all,

does anyone know if there are any snowboard speedometers?

Greeeezzz
The ultimate radical snowdude

Hi,

check out the Suunto S6.

Jörg

Old December 28th 03, 07:32 PM
Arvin Chang

Since the snowboard doesn't have any wheels, I don't think there is
one like they have in bikes and cars. You would have to use some type
of radio transmitter to figure out your speed compared to a stationary
object. I have heard of lots of people using their GPS units to figure
their speed after the fact. The mark the start of their run, and the
end of their run and then divide the distance by the time it took.

I have also seen "air time" sensors that calculate how long you were
in the air for. It tracks the time in milliseconds because you are
usually in the air for a few fractions of a second and it's depressing
to see like a ".1s" hang time.

--Arvin

Old December 28th 03, 08:13 PM
Peter

Thanks,

looks very nice but also very expensive.

Peter

Old December 29th 03, 04:11 AM
Jason Watkins

object. I have heard of lots of people using their GPS units to figure
their speed after the fact. The mark the start of their run, and the
end of their run and then divide the distance by the time it took.

Was looking at GPS units a while back. Many of them now track
velocity, and have a status display with peak speed and moving
average. Garmin has a few selling for $150usd here, so that's 1/2 the
price of the fancy watch, and the watch only handles vertical.
Old December 29th 03, 01:38 PM
Chet Hayes

I don't think the Suunto watchs do much to really accurately measure
speed. If you investigate how they calculate it, the data used is the
change in altitude, which is what the watch actually measures. If
you want to know how fast your altitude changes, that is directly
available and should be accurate.

However, to calculate speed over the ground, which is what we'd like
to know, they expect you to use a little bubble level to establish the
horizontal before starting a run. Then, you site down the run and
establish the angle of the run from horizontal. After entering this
angle, the watch uses trig to calculate the speed from the known
change in altitude.

I don't think I'd want to go through this to measure speed. Even
worse, it only works for a run that is uniform and that you can site
down to establish the angle. Even then, it gives an average speed,
not max.
Old December 29th 03, 08:02 PM
Neil Gendzwill

I believe that one of the Garmin GPS units combines GPS with an
altimeter and does all the math for you. A little pricey at $US230:
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexsummit/

Neil
Old December 30th 03, 05:04 AM
Jason Watkins

I believe that one of the Garmin GPS units combines GPS with an
altimeter and does all the math for you. A little pricey at $US230:
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexsummit/

Neil

If you live in north america, you may want to avoid this unit. It
doesn't support WAAS.

The FAA operates a GPS correction system called WAAS. It was put up to
help fill in the puzzle pieces needed to automate plane landing. If
you are within range of the WAAS singals, your gps will be extremely
accurrate. Officially it's spec'd to within 3 meters, but real world
testing shows it's often even better than that. The gotcha is, you
don't always have good line of site to the WAAS birds. AIRC, there's
two: one atlantic, one pacific, both in geosync orbit at the
equator... so if you're on the north face of some peak, you might not
have line of site..

You gotta wonder why garmin doesn't make one with an altimeter _and_
WAAS just to cover the bases.
Old January 1st 04, 10:44 PM
Rob.

"Jason Watkins" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'm not sure if waas makes a lot of difference if you are just after the
speed - it's calculated separately using doppler. I've used an etrex and it
seems to give reliable (i.e. repeatable) results. Main problem is the
batteries pack up in the cold.

Rob.