Snowboarding or skiing?

Old January 4th 04, 02:27 PM
Joe Ramirez

Default Snowboarding or skiing?

I'm planning to learn either snowboarding or skiing and would like a little
advice from enthusiasts about which sport to choose. I'm 42 and have no
previous experience with snow sports. Also, I have no experience surfing or
skateboarding. I can ride a bike, of course, and I learned to ice skate at
age 36 and now enjoy skating quite a bit. I'm interested in taking up
boarding or skiing because (1) they look like a lot of fun, (2) I could use
more exercise in the winter, and (3) I love the mountains. (We were in
Breckenridge this summer and it occurred to me that it would be nice to
visit the place in the winter someday.) I live in Pittsburgh, so there are
no high peaks nearby, but there are a good number of decent (I suppose) ski
resorts within a short drive, the most famous probably being Seven Springs.

The person with whom I would be learning is my 14-year-old son. He is
vaguely interested but has not expressed a strong preference either way. My
wife probably won't take up either sport, though she'll probably enjoy trips
to ski lodges. I do not know anyone who snowboards. My younger brother took
up skiing in his mid-30s and seems to like it. My brother-in-law has been
skiing since his youth and is pretty good at it, I believe.

Nevertheless, I'm leaning toward snowboarding (freeride, not freestyle), for
a couple of reasons. First, it seems like a cleaner, simpler way of getting
down a mountain. No chance of legs going in opposite directions. No poles to
buy and no pole technique to worry about. Second, from what I've read it
appears that snowboarding, though perhaps a little tougher to get the hang
of in the very beginning stages, is ultimately easier to become good at.
Third, there's just something about it that appeals to me -- maybe the sense
of doing something "different."

So, here are a few questions. Thanks very much in advance for any answers or
suggestions you may have.
1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing? If not,
what's the reality?
2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?
3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?
4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get "left
in the dust," so to speak?

By the way, I posted my inquiry here rather than in rec.skiing.alpine
because, contrary to the old stereotype about boarders being uncouth, this
group seems like a friendly, helpful forum, whereas r.s.a. (at least the
unmoderated version) is bedeviled by brutal flame wars.

Thanks again,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 4th 04, 03:05 PM
Jürgen Schmadlak

Joe Ramirez wrote:

1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing? If not,
what's the reality?

I was skiing vor 15 years. Then I paused for 15 years and started
snowboarding in 2002 at the age of 36.

As a beginner it is easier to go down the trail without eating snow
by ski. After your second day on the board you will understand what
*real* muscular strain is. Skiing is easier but boarding is more
fun.

2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?

Now, in 2. season, I come down the hill on my board as well as I
came down on ski 15 years ago. I will never go back to ski.

3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?

No, I never seen anything like this here in *Europe*.

4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get "left
in the dust," so to speak?

Yes, you can hit the slopes with skiers. But remember, skiers are
not cool enough for a real boarder :-)

--
Satisfy your thirst for life!
NP: Limp Bizkit - Just Like This
Old January 4th 04, 04:50 PM
Christoph

hello,

hmm, difficult question, i wonder if there is a real answer to that
question...

i am snowboarding for about 7 or 8 years now. before i was skiing, the only
i reason i stopped skiing was that my boot was too small and i had to decide
wheather to buy a new pair of skis or a snowboard. we did a snowboard course
and i decided to start with snowboarding.

i would say that today i can snowboard pretty good, and last year i had the
feeling of no further possible advancement in snowboarding. i was only going
faster and faster... and for that i wanted to try out skiing again. before
christmas i bought a new pair of skiing-boots. its awesome, skiing is as
well great fun. (i love snowboarding again as well..... there is always
possible improvement.... know i know :-))

i dont know if skiing or snowboarding is easier, for me snowboarding was
(but i knew how to ski).

another thing is that, i learnd classic skiing, there was no carving at my
time... and snowboarding was totally different at this point. things
changed... i love both, at the moment i prefer my board for
freeriding/backcountry and the skis for the slopes, but i want to learn that
i can handle the skis in backcountry aswell (so that i can enjoy it). at the
moment i dont know what carving with skis is like, because im not able to
carve them, but i have a feeling that carving is better with 1 board : )

---3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders
as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?

i as well never heard something like that.

skiing and snowboarding, there is no competition.... and so there is as well
no problem to spend your holidays with a mixed group, not at all a problem.

--- I'm leaning toward snowboarding (freeride, not freestyle), for
a couple of reasons.

i have a question... what do you mean by freeride? snowboarding differs 2
different types of binding/boots... freestyle and alpine. is alpine what you
mean by freeride? i dont know the expression freeride for alpine... never
heard

so long, enjoy your winterdays

chris

Old January 4th 04, 05:16 PM
Stephen

So, here are a few questions. Thanks very much in advance for any answers
or
suggestions you may have.
1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing? If not,
what's the reality?

Boarding tends to involve more balance and coordination than skiing since
you're only on one edge as opposed to two. Devloping in this area is
probably what makes boarding a little harder to learn at first. If you're in
decent shape and take a lesson the first day, you should be able to get down
most greens and some blues on your own without falling much within a few
days. Speaking of falling, it will happen, and catching an edge can slam you
down hard enough to knock the wind out of you or worse. A helmet,
wristguards, and possibly a butt pad to protect the tailbone are things to
seriously consider, at least for the first season.

2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?

I used to ski on occasion, maybe once or twice a season. Since trying
boarding though there's been no looking back and it gets me out there at
least once a week. I don't miss skiing at all. Never did like the poles, or
skies being able to go in opposite directions.

3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?

Not in my area, however there is types of terrain such as mogul fields and
some glades where I personally have no desire to go.

4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get "left
in the dust," so to speak?

There's shouldn't be any real issues but maybe some little things. One thing
I've found here is that skiers tend to stop on flatter sections of trail to
regroup. Getting going after stopping on a flat for a snowboard is a pain,
whereas skiers can just pole along. Another thing may be just style,
snowboards tend to make use of more of the trail, whereas most skiers tend
to just go straight. Makes it a little more awkward trying to go down side
by side.

I'd say give it a try at least. Take a lesson, maybe request an instructor
of like age, and don't give up after the first day. If after three days, say
consecutive weekends, you still don't like it, then maybe try skiing
instead.

Steve

Old January 4th 04, 06:43 PM
WeatherCam

As Steve says, it very much depends on your physical condition....if you are
carrying extra weight and really are not that flexible, then learning to
snowboard at age 42 can be quite painful and you will really feel the aches
and pains - just getting your straps done up around your boots and then
getting back up on your feet can be quite energetic if you have a bit of a
middle aged stomach....so be honest to yourself, how fit do you think you
are, can you easily touch your toes, do you suffer from a stiff back quite
often do you pull muscles / strain easily....learning to ski is much less
physically demanding than learning to snowboard - I'm now 45 and have been
on the mountains for over thirty years - when we go away with people fresh
to the slopes, I advise them to ski / board based on what I perceive to be
their "Sports" / "balance" aptitude - if they just want to enjoy the
mountains, learn a new sport , but will not be busting a gut, then go with
the skis - if they are more adventurous, mountain bike, wake board play
soccer / run, and are generally all round "sportifs" then I'd reccomend
boarding - one other thing, is the actual conditions - if the snow is rock
hard / ice then go with skis!!!

Hope that helps..

Regards
WC

Old January 4th 04, 07:08 PM
Beloved Leader

"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message ...

I'm planning to learn either snowboarding or skiing....
I'm interested in taking up
boarding or skiing because (1) they look like a lot of fun, (2) I could use
more exercise in the winter, and (3) I love the mountains.
I live in Pittsburgh,...

2. ... If you ride but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?
3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?
4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)?

Good for you. 42 is not to old to learn. Realistically, should you
keep up with either skiing or boarding or both, you can expect to
become someone who enjoys skiing or boarding as a social activity
rather than someone who is in the top 1% of skiers or boarders. Either
one is a fun way to get out of the house and enjoy the snow. Going
down a slope by the light of the full moon is a blast no matter what
you're riding.

You, especially, are in luck, as January 8 is "Pennsylvania Learn to
Ski" day. On this day, resorts all over PA will have blocks of
tickets, for $10 each, that include the equipment rental and lift
ticket. How can you go wrong? Google for "pennsylvania learn to ski"
or "Pennsylvania Ski Areas Association". The PSSA website,
http://www.skipa.com/events.htm , says little about the event, so
visit a Pittsburgh ski or board shop or call a nearby ski area for
more information. It's an unbeatable deal. Tickets may be limited, so
don't tarry.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'd start with skiing. As a
beginner, you'll need to learn not only how to get down the hill, but
how to get up the hill as well. Riding a lift chair while you are
attached to skis is a much more natural activity than is riding a lift
chair while you are attached to a snowboard. For one thing, when you
are on skis, each foot is connected to some sort of a plank. Further,
on skis, you are facing the right direction when you get on and get
off the chair.

In addtion, learning to board involves (requires?) falling. Much, much
falling. It hurts. Yes, you'll fall on skis too, but learning to ski
strikes me as a less painful experience. Skis, since they can be
spread apart, provide an intrinsic stability not available with a
board. Whatever your choice, don't forget the painkillers.

I do feel that those who board exclusively and never get on skis are
missing something. The opposite is equally true. Both ways of getting
down the mountain are fun.

There are some ski-only sites in the US. Taos NM and Alta UT (?) are
two that come to mind.

I wouldn't worry about the "expense" of ski poles. I see those things
on trash piles all the time. Ditto perfectly adequate pairs of skis.

All you need now is snow. Since it hit 68 degrees F in DC yesterday,
the only K2 product is was using was my K2 inline skates. A blast of
cold air is headed to DC and Pittsburgh, so maybe you can get out on
Thursday and have some fun.

Best wishes.
Old January 4th 04, 11:42 PM
Mike T

I'm planning to learn either snowboarding or skiing and would like a
little
advice from enthusiasts about which sport to choose.

Many good points made on this thread... I will not repeat them...

....one approach would be to try both and pick the one you like better!
Most resorts offer lift/lesson/rental packages in both skiing and
snowboarding. That's a great place to start. Perhaps try each one a
few times and see which one you like better. IMHO it's always a good
idea to rent or demo before buying your own gear... making sure to pay
attention to what your renting so you have an idea what to buy.

The same clothing can be used for both of course. Sure, pants and
jackets are often marketed specifically to skiers or boarders, but if
you go for function over fashion you'll probably end up with something
good for both. Living in Pittsburgh, you probably have most of
what you need already.

For the record I skied for about 10 years, did no snowsports for 3, and
then started boarding at age 27. I'm 33 now and I plan to board my
entire life.

-Mike T

Old January 5th 04, 02:12 AM
Neil Gendzwill

"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message ...
1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing? If not,
what's the reality?

The first 2 days are tougher on a board than skis (you *will* be stiff
and sore). After that, snowboarding is a much faster path to
intermediate skill. Once you're an intermediate, I'd say the learning
curve to get to advanced/expert skill is about the same.

Skis are ultimately the better all-round tool if your ultimate goal is
conquering the whole mountain, but snowboards are a lot of fun.

2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?

My skiing is rusty and my snowboarding pretty good, so with the
limited time I now have in the hills I tend to ride. If I could get
in more days I'd do both. If I could get in a lot of days I'd take up
telemarking. Sliding downhill on snow == big fun, no matter the
equipment.

3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?

There are 3 or 4 resorts in the US that are ski-only (Taos and Deer
Valley come to mind), all the rest welcome both.

4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get "left
in the dust," so to speak?

The best solution to riding with skiers is to use step-in bindings, to
avoid the main problem which is them having to wait around while you
fiddle with straps. In fact, at your age and with your goals, I'd
recommend hard boots with an Intec-compatible stepin and an
all-mountain board. See www.bomberonline.com for more info on the
hard-booting experience, and one of the friendliest and most helpful
online communities. In particular check out the welcome centre
(http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/welcome_center.cfm) and the
forums (http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...p?s=&forumid=2).

Neil G
Old January 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Joe Ramirez

"Jürgen Schmadlak" wrote in message
Joe Ramirez wrote:
2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride

but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?

Now, in 2. season, I come down the hill on my board as well as I
came down on ski 15 years ago. I will never go back to ski.

This is probably the most important consideration for me. Starting at a
relatively late age, and with limited time to spend on the slopes, I want to
able to achieve reasonable proficiency quickly enough to be able to enjoy
it. I don't want to spend years working at something each winter without
ever becoming more than an advanced beginner or low intermediate.

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Joe Ramirez

"Christoph" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...

--- I'm leaning toward snowboarding (freeride, not freestyle), for
a couple of reasons.

i have a question... what do you mean by freeride? snowboarding differs 2
different types of binding/boots... freestyle and alpine. is alpine what

you
mean by freeride? i dont know the expression freeride for alpine... never
heard

Well, remember that I'm no expert, but from what I've read, "freeride" is
sort of in between freestyle and alpine, though closer to the latter. The
emphasis is on going down the slope rather than on jumping or doing tricks,
but perhaps without alpine's emphasis on speed and race-oriented equipment.

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez