December snow ?

Old October 3rd 03, 12:07 AM
Richard

Default December snow ?

g/f's college timetable is messing with my boarding addiction.

She now can't go after new year, or at Easter,
and has asked if we can go before Xmas.

With what I consider a shift in the seasons in Europe,
is there anywhere with good snow the week before xmas ?

Old October 3rd 03, 07:49 AM
Switters

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 00:07:15 GMT, "Richard"
allegedly wrote:

With what I consider a shift in the seasons in Europe,
is there anywhere with good snow the week before xmas ?

Too soon to tell. A long hot summer doesn't necessarily mean a warm dry
winter. It could dump down in November. Let's hope so.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old October 3rd 03, 02:06 PM
toddjb

"Richard" wrote in message ...

With what I consider a shift in the seasons in Europe,
is there anywhere with good snow the week before xmas ?

That is always a risky time to book in advance. I would say your
best gamble would be Whistler/Blackcomb. They seem to usually get
a dump around Christmas every year and are open either way.

2nd suggestion is to go to this website http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
and check out their "historic snow reports" (under "snow reports.")
This site is great and the only historical list of snow by resort
that I have seen. It is great tool for booking in advance.

According to this site, the average snowfall for Whistler during the
4th week of December is 174 cm on the upper slopes and 88 cm on the
lower slopes. (not too bad considering the highest week is the last
week of March at 291 cm on average).

Anyone else have December suggestions?

-todd
Old October 3rd 03, 07:31 PM
Johannes

Hi

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 01:07:15 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

g/f's college timetable is messing with my boarding addiction.

She now can't go after new year, or at Easter,
and has asked if we can go before Xmas.

The most resorts start the main season at December 20. Befor this date
are normaly not all lifts oben. (or only weekends)

With what I consider a shift in the seasons in Europe,
is there anywhere with good snow the week before xmas ?

If you book now, you should watch for a resort, that got lifts over
1800m. So you got shure snow.(Snow making if it to try)

The last couple of years was the snow conditon at central Switzerland
(Engelberg, Andermatt, Sedrun) and east Switzerland( Flumserberg,
Davos, Lezterheide/Vallbella, Laax) better than at the Berner Oberland
at this date.

Johannes
Old October 3rd 03, 07:39 PM
Jeff R

How about you forget your girlfriend and your best buddies and you
head off when you want to. Dont let someone else schedule **** with
the primetime of the riding season.
Old October 4th 03, 11:32 PM
Richard

"Jeff R" wrote...
How about you forget your girlfriend and your best buddies and you
head off when you want to. Dont let someone else schedule **** with
the primetime of the riding season.

If money allows I'll try and get away with chums later in the season.
She's only had 1 week so I would like to go with her as well.
R.

Old October 4th 03, 11:33 PM
Richard

"toddjb" wrote...

According to this site, the average snowfall for Whistler during the
4th week of December

snip

It's going to be December 13/14th. :-(
Damn that vet college.

Old October 4th 03, 11:38 PM
Richard

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/

Would be great to list by weekly average etc,
rather than looking at individual resorts.

If anyone know anyone involved in the site please pass that on. ;-)

Old October 6th 03, 01:55 PM
Tim Sampson

"Richard" wrote in message

With what I consider a shift in the seasons in Europe,
is there anywhere with good snow the week before xmas ?

Norway/Sweden?

Tim

Old October 6th 03, 06:12 PM
Richard

"Tim Sampson" wrote...
Norway/Sweden?

Hadn't thought of that.
It's supposed to be really cold though. :-(

Where do you recommend, limited budget,
good for an intermediate and a beginner ?