Beaver Creek vs. Vail

Old October 7th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DZN

Default Beaver Creek vs. Vail

Bought a season pass to Vail this year when I realized that it was cheaper
than buying any other way for the two vacations I booked, one at the
beginning of Jan and one at the end. Thinking going back in March.
Question: since the pass is good at Beaver Creek is that a good alternative.
My preferences are for walk on walk off and prefer not too expensive and
don't care if its fancy/luxurious. I ski blues and single diamonds, never
expert runs. I really like Vail and wouldn't be tired of it but thought
Beaver Creek might be nice but don't know anything about. Can someone give
me a comparison of the two places.

Thanks.

Old October 7th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Oct 6, 9:43*pm, "DZN" wrote:
Bought a season pass to Vail this year when I realized that it was cheaper
than buying any other way for the two vacations *I booked, one at the
beginning of Jan and one at the end. *Thinking going back in March.
Question: since the pass is good at Beaver Creek is that a good alternative.
My preferences are for walk on walk off and prefer not too expensive and
don't care if its fancy/luxurious. *I ski blues and single diamonds, never
expert runs. I really like Vail and wouldn't be tired of it but thought
Beaver Creek might be nice but don't know anything about. *Can someone give
me a comparison of the two places.

Thanks.

I lived there in the mid 90's for a season. I rented a condo at the
bottom of Beaver Creek expecting to go over to Vail to ski. That is
where I had skied mostly on vacations in the area. I found "The Beav"
to be better. Better pitch (inbounds), top to bottom skiing (not the
long run outs), and better tights and actual steeps (Vail has NO
steeps).

I think that many of the "out of the way" places I was skiing then
have been incorporated now into the pablum that ski areas have
become.

I'd sure give it a try if I were you though.
Old October 7th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Oct 6, 9:43 pm, "DZN" wrote:
Bought a season pass to Vail this year when I realized that it was cheaper
than buying any other way for the two vacations I booked, one at the
beginning of Jan and one at the end. Thinking going back in March.
Question: since the pass is good at Beaver Creek is that a good alternative.
My preferences are for walk on walk off and prefer not too expensive and
don't care if its fancy/luxurious. I ski blues and single diamonds, never
expert runs. I really like Vail and wouldn't be tired of it but thought
Beaver Creek might be nice but don't know anything about. Can someone give
me a comparison of the two places.

Thanks.

I like BC better. Fewer crowds, top to bottom skiing (over 4000'),
great dining, easy access to OB skiing, beginner area on the top.
It's one of the few big resorts around here where you can still
actually find powder a day or two after a storm. It usually gets more
snow than Vail. It's go plenty of blue and easy black trails. And
with the new gondola, you don't need to stay on the hill. You can
find a cheaper place in town.
Old October 7th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

DZN wrote:
Bought a season pass to Vail this year when I realized that it was cheaper
than buying any other way for the two vacations I booked, one at the
beginning of Jan and one at the end. Thinking going back in March.
Question: since the pass is good at Beaver Creek is that a good alternative.
My preferences are for walk on walk off and prefer not too expensive and
don't care if its fancy/luxurious. I ski blues and single diamonds, never
expert runs. I really like Vail and wouldn't be tired of it but thought
Beaver Creek might be nice but don't know anything about. Can someone give
me a comparison of the two places.

Add another vote for BC.

Vail is way too crowded for my tastes, and the crowds mean that the snow
gets skied out fairly quickly. By comparison, BC is much less crowded
(if you know where to go, the lift lines are short on none - avoid the
Centenial lift at peak times), and the snow lasts longer (less crowds,
plus the orientation relative to the sun) . Wide variety of terrain,
truly something for everyone. But you don't have to take my word for it,
wander over there and do a day when you're at Vail.

I don't think you'll find any walk-in, walk-out accomodations at BC that
are "not too expensive" (unless you know someone with a condo like I do).

//Walt

Old October 7th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On Oct 7, 1:58*pm, Walt wrote:

Add another vote for BC.

Oh yeah, BC by far. And don't just go to Whistler - check out the
interior too.

JP

Old October 20th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

I have a condo in Vail and ski BC every season multiple times, unlike
anyone else who lives in Vail. (People in Vail see no reason every to
go to Beaver Creek.)

BC is a fine area with big vertical and a good north exposure. It
never gets crowded. Vail gets more snow on average, but only by a
little. The real issue for you is what you ski. Both are fine for
blue cruising. The problem is that BC has minimal single black
terrain. It steps up very quickly to serious bump runs, long and with
a good pitch. The bumps at BC get less traffic than most areas and
are very skiable, but there is not really much moderate black
terrain. Vail on the other hand has a vast amount of (ungroomed)
black terrain that is very moderate in pitch and steps up smoothly
from blues for those looking for a challenge without getting in over
their heads. In particular, China Bowl and Blue Sky have an abundance
of this sort of terrain.

While Vail can get crowded at peak tourist times, and sometimes on
Saturdays off peak (with day trippers), it is very rarely crowded
during the week and even on Sundays. Of the 33 or so lifts, only
about 5 or 6 have consistent lines. Crowds move from west to east on
the mountain as the day progresses and it's easy to avoid them.

Beaver is very worth trying, but ultimately doesn't compare with Vail
except for those seeking lots of bumps.
Old October 20th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

wrote:
Beaver is very worth trying, but ultimately doesn't compare with Vail
except for those seeking lots of crowds.

FTFY.

//Walt
Old October 20th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
wrote:
Beaver is very worth trying, but ultimately doesn't compare with Vail
except for those seeking lots of crowds.

FTFY.

//Walt

Walt,
You....

edited!!!
Old November 2nd 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_3_]

DZN wrote:
Bought a season pass to Vail this year when I realized that it was cheaper
than buying any other way for the two vacations I booked, one at the
beginning of Jan and one at the end. Thinking going back in March.
Question: since the pass is good at Beaver Creek is that a good alternative.
My preferences are for walk on walk off and prefer not too expensive and
don't care if its fancy/luxurious. I ski blues and single diamonds, never
expert runs. I really like Vail and wouldn't be tired of it but thought
Beaver Creek might be nice but don't know anything about. Can someone give
me a comparison of the two places.

I've only skied Beaver Creek one day, in a snowstorm with very poor viz,
so I really don't know much about the mountain. I will say, however,
that it's even more upscale than Vail, with little touches like an
outdoor escalator that brings you up from the village level to to the
lifts. It looks newer, whereas Vail village seems a little tired in
places. The people working there also seemed friendlier and more
polite, whereas a lot of the people who work at Vail seemed quite
assholish when I was there. No reason not to give it a try.

Hell, you might even be able to get cheaper accommodations. "Moderate"
at Vail is "nosebleed" most other places. It's the name you pay extra
for. Whistler has gotten that way too. Things are tough at that end
of the alphabet.

Dave

Beaver Creek Rapakasa Alpine Skiing 6 January 24th 05 07:13 PM
Vail/Beaver Creek lift tickets? Jari Alpine Skiing 0 March 13th 04 11:53 PM
Beaver Creek Chris Devidal Alpine Skiing 1 September 17th 03 02:16 PM
Beaver Creek Chris Devidal Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 September 17th 03 12:50 PM