Update on my ribs....

Old February 1st 05, 09:32 PM
Black Metal Martha

Default Update on my ribs....

Well, as you all know, I injured my ribs (or at least I think that's
what's hurt) in a fall a week from last Saturday. It's still pretty
sore, so I have a doctor's appointment after work this Thursday. I'll
let you know the outcome.

Martha

Old February 2nd 05, 04:16 PM
Chuck

Black Metal Martha wrote:
Well, as you all know, I injured my ribs (or at least I think that's
what's hurt) in a fall a week from last Saturday. It's still pretty
sore, so I have a doctor's appointment after work this Thursday. I'll
let you know the outcome.

Martha

If it's still sore you probably cracked one. They take a long time to
heal. I pray you don't get sick with something that makes you cough.
Coughing on a cracked rib is about as bad as it gets.

BTW I took fall a few weeks back too. Slammed into a couple of bumps
that I didn't see straight on and both bindings released. What a sight
that must have been.
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old February 4th 05, 05:55 AM
Black Metal Martha

Black Metal Martha wrote:
Well, as you all know, I injured my ribs (or at least I think that's
what's hurt) in a fall a week from last Saturday. It's still pretty
sore, so I have a doctor's appointment after work this Thursday. I'll
let you know the outcome.

Martha

OK, here's the skinny. My doc says it will hurt for 2 months. SHe says
it will hurt for that long. She poked and prodded until she poked one
of my upper ribs OUCH! She said I should wrap it up during the day and
keep taking advil.

She also said no strenuous exercise for the next two months. Yeah,
right, like that's gonna happen. I'm going skiing next weekend. And
yes, I'll take it easy.

So, no coughing, laughing, sneezing or hugging for me for a while...

Martha

Old February 4th 05, 02:12 PM
VtSkier

Black Metal Martha wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

Well, as you all know, I injured my ribs (or at least I think that's
what's hurt) in a fall a week from last Saturday. It's still pretty
sore, so I have a doctor's appointment after work this Thursday. I'll
let you know the outcome.

Martha

OK, here's the skinny. My doc says it will hurt for 2 months. SHe says
it will hurt for that long. She poked and prodded until she poked one
of my upper ribs OUCH! She said I should wrap it up during the day and
keep taking advil.

Watch the advil, or more properly, be aware of how your
stomach feels. Always take the advil with food.

She also said no strenuous exercise for the next two months. Yeah,
right, like that's gonna happen. I'm going skiing next weekend. And
yes, I'll take it easy.

Better than not skiing at all.

So, no coughing, laughing, sneezing or hugging for me for a while...

Well, there is skiing.

Good luck, get well sooner.
VtSkier

Martha

Old February 4th 05, 02:59 PM
Black Metal Martha

VtSkier wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

I just never realized it would take so long to heal, but even though I
act like it, I'm not as young as I think I am....

Martha
turning 46 in 3 weeks...argh!

Old February 4th 05, 03:25 PM
lal_truckee

Black Metal Martha wrote:

She also said no strenuous exercise for the next two months.

That's cause since it's likely cracked if you took another slam on the
same rib it could break clean and puncture a lung. Or protrude through
the skin. Not pretty. But they're your ribs and your risk. That's why
football players wear "flake jackets - to spread any blow over several
ribs, not just the damaged rib. (I assume there's some rib padding
involved anyway, at least anterior?)

Old February 4th 05, 04:05 PM
Black Metal Martha

lal_truckee wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

She also said no strenuous exercise for the next two months.

That's cause since it's likely cracked if you took another slam on

the
same rib it could break clean and puncture a lung. Or protrude

through
the skin. Not pretty. But they're your ribs and your risk. That's why

football players wear "flake jackets - to spread any blow over

several
ribs, not just the damaged rib. (I assume there's some rib padding
involved anyway, at least anterior?)

I'll be very very careful and make sure I wrap up my ribs beforehand.

Martha

Old February 5th 05, 12:50 AM
JQ

"Black Metal Martha" wrote in message
oups.com...
Black Metal Martha wrote:
Well, as you all know, I injured my ribs (or at least I think that's
what's hurt) in a fall a week from last Saturday. It's still pretty
sore, so I have a doctor's appointment after work this Thursday. I'll
let you know the outcome.

Martha

OK, here's the skinny. My doc says it will hurt for 2 months. SHe says
it will hurt for that long. She poked and prodded until she poked one
of my upper ribs OUCH! She said I should wrap it up during the day and
keep taking advil.

She also said no strenuous exercise for the next two months. Yeah,
right, like that's gonna happen. I'm going skiing next weekend. And
yes, I'll take it easy.

So, no coughing, laughing, sneezing or hugging for me for a while...

Martha

You may want to only wrap it while skiing. Use a neoprene wrap that is used
as a lower back support. Try to find one that has suspenders that way it
will not slide down. Do not wrap it too tight! At this point you can start
using Acetaminophen (Tylenol) rather than Advil, Advil is good for pain due
to inflammation and you should not have swelling at this point. Like
VtSkier said if you are going to use Advil, take with food or with milk. If
you haven't started the heat & ice treatment yet it is something that I
would do to help speed up recovery. Freeze ice in styrofoam cups as the ice
melts you just tear the cup to expose more ice and your hands/fingers won't
be freezing as you rub the ice over the injured area.

Have fun skiing and take it easy, no bump runs or jumps. Remember before
skiing load up with your pain control remedy and 4 hours into skiing do the
same.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 5th 05, 12:51 AM
JQ

"Black Metal Martha" wrote in message
ups.com...
VtSkier wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:
[...]

Getting old is a bummer, I can attest to that. It may not take as long to
heal as you were told, the pain will one day be gone until you go hunting
for it.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 5th 05, 05:04 AM
ant

Ribs, mmmm. Americans are really good at ribs, like wings (chicken arms). I
must go hunt out a good rib place before too long.

er, carry on. I'm hungry.

ant