Burred edges

Old December 23rd 03, 10:41 PM
Arno

Default Burred edges

I am looking for a tool to remove burrs and to get my edges back in shape.

I hit the occasional rock. Usually the base is not hurt. Files a kind of a
pain and I don't know if it would help or hurt the performance without the
proper setup.

Getting a tune would be overkill and expensive. Wonder how many full tunes a
pair of skies can take?

Anybody have any ideas?

Arnie

Old December 23rd 03, 11:47 PM
Gary S.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:41:46 CST, "Arno" wrote:

I am looking for a tool to remove burrs and to get my edges back in shape.

I hit the occasional rock. Usually the base is not hurt. Files a kind of a
pain and I don't know if it would help or hurt the performance without the
proper setup.

Getting a tune would be overkill and expensive. Wonder how many full tunes a
pair of skies can take?

Anybody have any ideas?

There is a limited number of full tunes a pair of skis can take. In
fact, one of the distinctions of special rental ski models is a
thicker base to handle more tunes. The number will vary with model,
although I would guess that a dozen is reasonable on most skis.

The stone grinding is far easier on the ski material than the belt
sander type.

Hand filing removes far less material, and is probably best for quick
touch-ups as you describe. Use a hand file (with an alignment tool if
you think you cannot hold the angle needed) and finish up with a stone
to smooth and deburr.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old December 24th 03, 02:16 AM
Arno

After you mentioned looking on the net I ran into this site
www.burrbuster.com . Anybody have any experience with that tool.
What do you think? Looks pretty slick to me and doen't look like it would
wear out like files.

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
Arno wrote:

I am looking for a tool to remove burrs and to get my edges back in

shape.

I hit the occasional rock. Usually the base is not hurt. Files a kind of

pain and I don't know if it would help or hurt the performance without

the
proper setup.

Getting a tune would be overkill and expensive. Wonder how many full

tunes a
pair of skies can take?

Anybody have any ideas?

Get a small mid-grit sharpening stone. Those are the best thing for
quick smoothing of edge dings. They're actually particularly effective
on stone dings where files just slip off - the stones better handle the
work-hardening that happens when rock meets steel. I always use a stone
first on rock dings, even when I plan to file afterwards.

I got my last one for a few bucks at a hardware store. It's
pocket-sized, though I rarely carry it.

If you're going to work much on your skis, you might think about getting
Seth Masia's ski tuning, maintenance, and repair book. Search on Seth's
name on Amazon.com.

Bob

Old December 24th 03, 06:15 AM
lal_truckee

Arno wrote:

After you mentioned looking on the net I ran into this site
www.burrbuster.com . Anybody have any experience with that tool.
What do you think? Looks pretty slick to me and doen't look like it would
wear out like files.

Cute, but pointless;
Get a regular stone; get a diamond stone if you're lazy.

Old December 24th 03, 05:42 PM
Chuck

"Arno" wrote in
:

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
Arno wrote:

[...]

Or just go to your local Borders. Every one I've been to has had a copy.

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email