Pretty grim start to season

Old December 13th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

Default Pretty grim start to season

Ok we've had a bit of snow in the Alps, but when you look at snow levels
around France it's pretty grim just about everywhere, from the Vosges to
the Haute Savoie to the Pyrenees via the southern French Alps.

Resorts have been delaying their 'official' openings by a week, two
weeks, and now even the fall-back date of December 16th is going to be a
struggle just about everywhere. No snow forecast until the weekend at
the earliest, and even then no guarantees.

O°C isotherm set to climb for a day or three, (Meteo France has it
hovering around 3000m to 3400m for the Tarentaise), so the snow cannons
won't be working too hard.

Rumour has it that the likes of Les Arcs will only be opening the top
part of the domain (Arc 2000) to start with - a bit tough on those that
have booked accommodation in Bourg, Arc 1600, and Arc 1800. But Les Arcs
is far from being alone - snow at resort level is a problem even for
those relatively spoilt at altitude (like Flaine, with over a metre
higher up).

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old December 13th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:42:31 +0100, "pg"
wrote:

Rumour has it that the likes of Les Arcs will only be opening the top
part of the domain (Arc 2000) to start with - a bit tough on those that
have booked accommodation in Bourg, Arc 1600, and Arc 1800. But Les Arcs
is far from being alone - snow at resort level is a problem even for
those relatively spoilt at altitude (like Flaine, with over a metre
higher up).

IRTA " (like Flaine, which is over a metre higher up)"

It caused a minor boggle.

--
-Pip
Old December 13th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"pg" wrote in message
| Ok we've had a bit of snow in the Alps, but when you look at snow
levels
| around France it's pretty grim just about everywhere, from the Vosges
| the Haute Savoie to the Pyrenees via the southern French Alps.
|
| Resorts have been delaying their 'official' openings by a week, two
| weeks, and now even the fall-back date of December 16th is going to be
| struggle just about everywhere. No snow forecast until the weekend at
| the earliest, and even then no guarantees.
|
| O°C isotherm set to climb for a day or three, (Meteo France has it
| hovering around 3000m to 3400m for the Tarentaise), so the snow
cannons
| won't be working too hard.
|
| Rumour has it that the likes of Les Arcs will only be opening the top
| part of the domain (Arc 2000) to start with - a bit tough on those
that
| have booked accommodation in Bourg, Arc 1600, and Arc 1800. But Les
Arcs
| is far from being alone - snow at resort level is a problem even for
| those relatively spoilt at altitude (like Flaine, with over a metre
| higher up).

Hmmm. Suddenly they're promising more at Les Arcs (some of 1800 and
1600, if few reds). I wonder why. It will be interesting to see if they
do an about turn on Saturday morning and decide there's not enough snow
after all...

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old December 13th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
davidof

They've just built the lifts in the wrong places! We found some nice
skiing last Thursday, 800 m of vertical from a summit of 2550 m without
touching a stone, we could have skied a bit lower but it was getting late.

My local resort, les 7 laux, opened one lift today although the
conditions are nothing like as good as last year when they opened
towards the end of November.
Old December 13th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"davidof" wrote in message
| They've just built the lifts in the wrong places! We found some nice
| skiing last Thursday, 800 m of vertical from a summit of 2550 m
without
| touching a stone, we could have skied a bit lower but it was getting
late.

| http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...14344848243699
|
| My local resort, les 7 laux, opened one lift today although the
| conditions are nothing like as good as last year when they opened
| towards the end of November.

Yes - that's pretty much what we found at La Plagne last Sunday... Skied
off piste all day, barely touched a stone, but the pisted runs had
stones coming through from early on - despite no one skiing on them, and
it being the first day of the season after 20/30cms snowfall the
previous day.

(Nice vid...)

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old December 14th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

pg wrote:

"davidof" wrote in message
| They've just built the lifts in the wrong places! We found some nice
| skiing last Thursday, 800 m of vertical from a summit of 2550 m
without
| touching a stone, we could have skied a bit lower but it was getting
late.

| http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...14344848243699
|
| My local resort, les 7 laux, opened one lift today although the
| conditions are nothing like as good as last year when they opened
| towards the end of November.

Yes - that's pretty much what we found at La Plagne last Sunday... Skied
off piste all day, barely touched a stone, but the pisted runs had
stones coming through from early on - despite no one skiing on them, and
it being the first day of the season after 20/30cms snowfall the
previous day.

(Nice vid...)

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Nice vid and lovely pictures of La Plagne on your blog Pete. I really
must get around to learning to ski powder this year....

You weren't up here in the Loop, Tignes last night were you, Pete?
Someone who looked a bit like you was eating peanuts, but I was a bit
too drunk to ask.

Pistes in Tignes are now officially "a bit crap" - dear Santa, I'd like
some snow please.

Matt

Old December 14th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Matt T" wrote in message
ups.com...

| pg wrote:
|
| "davidof" wrote in message
| | They've just built the lifts in the wrong places! We found some
nice
| | skiing last Thursday, 800 m of vertical from a summit of 2550 m
| without
| | touching a stone, we could have skied a bit lower but it was
getting
| late.
| |
| | http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...14344848243699
| |
| | My local resort, les 7 laux, opened one lift today although the
| | conditions are nothing like as good as last year when they opened
| | towards the end of November.
|
| Yes - that's pretty much what we found at La Plagne last Sunday...
Skied
| off piste all day, barely touched a stone, but the pisted runs had
| stones coming through from early on - despite no one skiing on them,
and
| it being the first day of the season after 20/30cms snowfall the
| previous day.
|
| (Nice vid...)
|
| Pete
| http://mysnowsports.com
|
| Nice vid and lovely pictures of La Plagne on your blog Pete. I really
| must get around to learning to ski powder this year....

Ah - you didn't spot the clip of me taking a gentle fall then, to the
kids delight :-)

| You weren't up here in the Loop, Tignes last night were you, Pete?
| Someone who looked a bit like you was eating peanuts, but I was a bit
| too drunk to ask.

Not as far as I remember ;-)

| Pistes in Tignes are now officially "a bit crap" - dear Santa, I'd
like
| some snow please.

Sunday through Tuesday we're hoping for a bit, but it doesn't look that
promising at the moment ...

Pete

Old December 21st 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
visionset

"pg" wrote in message

Sunday through Tuesday we're hoping for a bit, but it doesn't look that
promising at the moment ...

It'll be alright come last week in Jan, I always bring snow.

--
Mike W

Old December 21st 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:32:44 GMT, "visionset"
wrote:

"pg" wrote in message
.. .

Sunday through Tuesday we're hoping for a bit, but it doesn't look that
promising at the moment ...

It'll be alright come last week in Jan, I always bring snow.

From the sounds of things, you're gonna need a big rucksack.

--
-Pip