Newell third in Changchun ... anyone?

Old March 17th 06, 07:32 AM

"When I give waxing advice to Santaniello about the Norwegian
Birkebeiner I feel i'm making a difference."

That's a valid and completely reasonable response. Totally respect
that.

I am American, so helping me do better in a race helps American Skiing,
right? ;-)

My kids are dual nationals, Norway, USA. We joke that if they are good
at skiing when they grow up they will ski for The USA, but if they are
REALLY good they will ski for Norway. I hope that maybe by the time
they are old enough, that joke won't have the same effect.

The more large countries like The US and China get into the act the
better. Look at what US involvment did for cycling. The more the
merrier.

But it is strange the low level of activity on this NG. On Exel's web
site it says they have made 30 million ski poles, and who knows how
many the other companies have made. That's a lot of skiers. Where is
everybody?

Joseph

Old March 17th 06, 08:31 AM

Bit of an anomaly, them calling it Team Today when they keep talking
about how young this batch of skiers is - tomorrow, so to speak.

GG

wrote:

I think folks on RSN have CONTINUOUSLY, STEADILY and SINCERELY
discussed issues relating to US XC uplift and boosterism.

And I bet a lot of us contribute to Team Today.

Old March 17th 06, 01:05 PM

I cheer every time the U.S. Ski Team calls me at my home and I donate
money (and I specify to direct the $$ to x-c). I hardly think posting
or not posting on RSN is an indication of someone's support for the
team. Just my 2 cents.

Old March 17th 06, 03:12 PM

"
"But, I am more interested in distance, not sprints."
I'll be honest: me too.
"
Just encourage full disclosure cork: aren't you a collegiate sprint
champion?

Anyway...
Newell kicks ass. pure and simple. podium... this is big.

PS
For the last 48hrs, I've been checking the teamtoday site every five
minutes for vorde or phil's pics. I not an addict. it's cool. you're
doing it too.

byrnes-out

Old March 17th 06, 03:23 PM

Been checking team today every 30 minutes here, not as addicted as you
WasGitchi.
Vorde and PBowen's pics are AWESOME.
JK

"

Old March 17th 06, 04:11 PM

In sweden, i subscribe to swipnet.se and it doens't even have RSN!
I read it from a newshost at syracuse but i can't post.
I just figured out last week hopw to post from google groups but it sure
is cumbersome to read there, I think or I am too old to be cool at
manipulating there?

And I missed seing that on swedish tv because of vet visit for the cat
(priorities you know, ie, my wifes!) but i did read it in the norrtälje
tidnings and dagens nyheter in stockholm.

And I was surprised I didn't see it first on RSN.

Old March 17th 06, 04:28 PM

hey, it's a gitchi gummi reunion!

mark, i'm checking team today every few minutes, too. i had grand
schemes of posting pics and write-ups on team today after every race
last week, but it didn't pan out. i'm not even coaching or waxing, but
after a day of races i was feeling pretty toasted. i don't know how
pete found the energy to do all that in addition to everything else.
those guys are the real deal.

for those of you who want more pictures, the most complete gallery is
he

http://www.competitiveimage.us/nordic/SWC06/index.html

i think i woke up my neighbors with the screaming at 6am when i saw
newell's podium on fis-ski. wish i could have been there, they deserve
hoards of rowdy flag-waving fans.

with newell, cook, koos, kikkan, lindsay, freeman and johnson throwing
down over the next few years, we're going to have a lot more podiums to
cheer about. no doubt in my mind.

-phil

Old March 17th 06, 05:35 PM

I've been totally awed by the pics and web action that Pete has been
doing, during the Oly's no less. I mean, he's taking and posting great
pics of his team while they're racing. They're not just snapshots
either! He must be running around with armloads of stuff plus a camera,
then gets to update the website frequently, too. I've been REALLY
liking their new public outreach accountability style, via their
website(s). They're putting the web to good use, I think. --JP

Old March 17th 06, 08:30 PM

Andy Newells 3rd was great, but

1) Sprints are new, just like skating was new when Koch was doing well,
just like mountain biking was new when the Americans dominated.

2) Post Olympics, alot of people just seem to drag for the rest of the
season.

3) The fact that the race was in China may have played a role.

Im not trying to knock Andy's achievement, I just want to see what
happens next year, particularly in Sapporo.

Old March 17th 06, 08:50 PM

"Im not trying to knock Andy's achievement..."

well, you didn't succeed.

changchun sprints shreddir Nordic Skiing 4 March 15th 06 08:48 PM
Newell's Sprint doogiski Nordic Skiing 9 February 2nd 06 01:47 PM
Andy Newell quote Mike Doyle Nordic Skiing 13 November 2nd 05 12:42 AM
Review: Andrew Newell's "American Skieer" DVD Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 11 January 5th 05 07:24 PM