Back Country Skiing?

Old March 5th 06, 02:06 AM

Eugene Miya wrote:
To be eaten by the bears? :-)

Oh, have to get the 12 gauge out. Lock and load.
Have to stop the bear before getting recertified....

Grrrr. Great thread guys, thanks.
Ulrich, what's this about igloos...?

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com
Old March 6th 06, 08:08 AM

[ Eugene Miya ]

In article ,
Martin Thornquist wrote:
North of Trondheim the population is less dense, but the country is
very small

I meant to say thin -- from a bit North of Trondheim to Lofoten Norway
is just the coastline and a bit more, no space for large (in all
directions) areas of anything.

Sniff sniff... Not related to Florida reindeer?

Nah, not closely. Herded reindeer are just marginally smarter than
herded sheep (as opposed to the elusive Florida reindeer). Could be
viable prey for a hungry wolverine.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old March 6th 06, 07:37 PM

Largest in continental Europe -- although that doesn't say all that
much.
But, as far is i know (Folgefonna, Svartisen) they are different: less
crevasses and seracs, if at all (?)

You guys have the Alestch.

In article ,
Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
But Martin is right, Aletschgletscher is way way smaller than
Jostedalsbreen ...

Aletschgletscher is a valley glacier
Jostedalsbreen from reading a map and what I have read is an ice sheet.
There are crevasses and seracs forming on the spill out areas.
I think some one did a research project to tunnel into one side and
instrument the thing.

Actually, I thought of another more sociological difference between the
US and Europe, especially the Alps. From my first trip I read some
where that European women were 4x more likely than US women to recreate
outdoors in the Alps. And I saw far more skinning up runs at areas than
I've ever seen in the USA. Even solo as well in small groups, not
always necessarily with guys.

Old March 6th 06, 09:52 PM

To be eaten by the bears? :-)

Ed net.bear.polar Huesers wrote:
Grrrr. Great thread guys, thanks.

Not much to it.
Low traffic.

Ulrich, what's this about igloos...?

8^) Trolling!
Old March 6th 06, 09:55 PM

In article ,
Martin Thornquist wrote:
North of Trondheim the population is less dense, but the country is
very small

I meant to say thin -- from a bit North of Trondheim to Lofoten Norway
is just the coastline and a bit more, no space for large (in all
directions) areas of anything.

Narrow like Chile?
But you have Fjords.
That's all that matters.

[ Eugene Miya ]

Martin Thornquist wrote:
Nah, not closely. Herded reindeer are just marginally smarter than
herded sheep (as opposed to the elusive Florida reindeer). Could be
viable prey for a hungry wolverine.

Strange cravings for certain foods now back in the States.
While I got Thai and Indian in Europe, I missed a good cerviche, an
occasional tamale, etc. Chinese tomorrow night.

Reindeer in June, maybe.

Slurp.

Old March 7th 06, 08:00 AM

[ Eugene Miya ]

In article ,
Martin Thornquist wrote:
I meant to say thin -- from a bit North of Trondheim to Lofoten Norway
is just the coastline and a bit more, no space for large (in all
directions) areas of anything.

Narrow like Chile?

Narrow, that's the word.

But you have Fjords.
That's all that matters.

It's interesting to see how the communities stretched out
traditionally on the coast, especially up North. It's very clear that
your neighbor is the one across the fjord, not the one on the other
side of the mountain. It's just the last little while that we have had
roads and tunnels and cars that travel over land has become easier
than on the sea.

Martin
Old March 7th 06, 08:31 AM

Martin Thornquist wrote:

My main point was in the part you snipped, that there is a continuum
from perfectly groomed tracks which I wouldn't call "backcountry" via
several categories down to marked routes only done once in a while
with snowmobile to maintain marking and pack the snow somewhat. What
do you call backcountry and what not?

Here is one of of the latter flavour,
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/no2005-1.jpg

This is, allegedly, a marked trail (or so we were led to believe!)
between 2 DNT huts. Didn't seem much like track skiing to us... ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 7th 06, 12:30 PM

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:59:31 +0100, Ulrich Hausmann
wrote:

No, we have, but not so much. One of the plateau glaciers is just in
front of me (15 km distant in direct line): Plateau du Trient (just as
an example: http://www.christianengl.de/Trient1.jpg )

Ooh, I've snowboarded off that.

And, to annoy the purists - I got a heli ride up there :-)
--
Champ
Old March 7th 06, 12:49 PM

[ Ulrich Hausmann ]

No, we have, but not so much. One of the plateau glaciers is just in
front of me (15 km distant in direct line): Plateau du Trient (just as
an example: http://www.christianengl.de/Trient1.jpg )

Unless there's more to it than shown in the picture, that does not
look like a plateau glacier (if that's what you call it in English...
direct translation from Norwegian). Looks like just a big valley
glacier, running down to the right. A plateau glacier is an ice sheet
as Eugene wrote, with several outlets (icefalls) on the sides.
Greenland is covered by one; the Norwegian ones are smaller versions.
I'm not sure about the exact scientific classification, but basically
a valley glacier runs down just one valley, while a plateau glacier
covers several valleys and the ridges between them.

Martin
Old March 7th 06, 10:55 PM

In article ,
Martin Thornquist wrote:
bit North of Trondheim to Lofoten Norway

Narrow, that's the word.

But you have Fjords.
That's all that matters.

It's interesting to see how the communities stretched out
traditionally on the coast, especially up North. It's very clear that
your neighbor is the one across the fjord, not the one on the other
side of the mountain. It's just the last little while that we have had
roads and tunnels and cars that travel over land has become easier
than on the sea.

Oh yes, vertical relief is what makes the world interesting.

That's why I like those U-shaped glaciated valleys.

I hate the flat plains, or as a the inhabitants call them,
'the wide open spaces.' In my opinion,
a land is not civilized unless the ground is tilted at an angle.
-- Edward Abbey

Skid, slip, and carved turn yunlong Alpine Skiing 96 February 22nd 05 08:27 PM
History of "Master" category in cross country skiing?? Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 8 November 8th 04 05:36 AM
Head Lamp for Night Cross Country Skiing Bill Cotton Alpine Skiing 0 February 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
Cross Country Skiing - where to go? Alan Nordic Skiing 2 November 20th 03 08:21 PM